No announcement yet.

Lost comp. on cyl. #4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the meantime, tell us what you found, Robert.
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

I cropped one of the pictures down to 754KB and it still doesn't post. (?)
      3rd owner 1969 White/Blk TR6 Project Car with factory wire wheels and O/D. Owned since 2018

Comment

In the meantime, tell us what you found, Robert.
        "The exhaust valve is chipped."
        '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
        Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
        Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
        Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
        Redlines always.
        My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

I learned last night that this failure is best described as a hole burnt in the valve. I guess the valve stayed open enough for the edge to burn through. And in no time the hole burned through with the hot gases inside the cylinder. I hope I reasoned it correctly.
          3rd owner 1969 White/Blk TR6 Project Car with factory wire wheels and O/D. Owned since 2018

Comment

How about the carbon deposit on the pistons? Is this usual for 22K miles?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Good work, Robert. You found it!

BPNW generally sells good quality engine arts, Phil likes them.
                  Check out their valve offerings.

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/triumph/tr250-tr6.html
                  Walt
                  CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
                  poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

Looking at them, thanks!

Comment

Comment

This is just my impression based on your pictures, Robert.
                        The burned valve looks a little thin, as if it has been reground one too many times (or too much) instead of getting replaced with a new one.
                        All but that # 5 piston look normal as far as carbon deposits to me.
                        Again.. that's just my impression for what it's worth.
                        Driving a 1973 TR6
                        Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

I had sent the pics to our local mechanic and he just replied with some not-so-good news.
                          He noticed the carbon deposits are not evenly distributed on the piston head, an indication of oil going through the rings and washing it off close to the circumference. He said; "time for rings and cylinder honing". hmy:
                          73K miles and lots and lots of TLC! Castrol GTX 20W/50 with ZDDP before switching to Valvoline VR1. Oil change before and after driving season with NAPA's Gold filter (made by WIX). Premium gas, although not ethanol free, but with a good storage additive. Air filters always clean. I figured the engine overhaul would hold maybe until 90K. At 2,500 average per year in 11 years, that's a few more driving seasons! I bought it from the original owner and he took very good care of it as well.
                          It is what it is...
                          I wonder if I should just do the head now and put-off the complete overhaul. At least until the driving season is over in May. Does this make any sense?
                          Thanks for letting me vent!

Comment

All but that # 5 piston look normal as far as carbon deposits to me.
                            Could the unusual carbon deposit location be due to the can of Sea Foam I sprayed down the rear carb to try to unstick the #4 valves Monday?
                            Thanks

Comment

I don't see why only that cylinder would be affected because of the way you introduced seafoam.
                              My first thought was coolant, but my eyes don't see a pathway.
                              Maybe something would show up on the head gasket.
                              And yes, if you were not having excessive oil consumption just having the head reconditioned is OK..people do that all the time...What I would not do is have the new rings and pistons without reconditioning the head, but that's not the case here.
                              Driving a 1973 TR6
                              Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

Thanks PB!

Comment

Lost comp. on cyl. #4

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,458   Posts: 489,752   Members: 14,980   Active Members: 580
                                Welcome to our newest member, ahgedott.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X