Seat recliner mechanism jammed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat recliner mechanism jammed

The car is a 1976 TR6. I finally got to doing the seat and have stripped off the covers, etc. but I cannot seem to get the recliner mechanism to work at all. The back is flat and right now is acting like an extension of the seat itself. I have been using penetrating oil to hopefully loosen everything up but so far no joy. I will attach a picture to show its arthritic state at the moment. I would like to say I understand the mechanism but so far am still somewhat mystified.

Maybe I just need to get more brutal and start hammering things but before I do I thought I would run it by the forum.. If you have a better idea please let me know.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by muskox3437; 01-24-2023, 02:30 AM.

Not sure what year yours is, but here is a link to some pics of the mechanism and parts for a 74:

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

• muskox3437
      muskox3437 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am using Bullfire's webpage as my basic guide and I am printing some of it. His information is very helpful but he does not go into this particular problem.

I used Ed’s Seat Restoration Guide. It was a life saver. Your mechanism may not be jammed. It just may be under pressure from the torsion spring. I had the same experience. You may try placing a knee on the bottom of the frame and apply pressure with your hand on the back the seat frame and then try turning the release mechanism with the pressure applied
    Gary Brooks
    Youngsville,NC

‘73 TR6
    ‘68 TR250
    ‘59 TR3A
    ‘80 Spitfire

Comment

Originally posted by Tri 250 View Post
      I used Ed’s Seat Restoration Guide. It was a life saver. Your mechanism may not be jammed. It just may be under pressure from the torsion spring. I had the same experience. You may try placing a knee on the bottom of the frame and apply pressure with your hand on the back the seat frame and then try turning the release mechanism with the pressure applied
      I will give that a try in the morning and I will triy to find Ed's Seat Restoration Guide. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by muskox3437 View Post

I will give that a try in the morning and I will triy to find Ed's Seat Restoration Guide. Thank you
        Ed and "Bullfire" are the same person.
        CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
        2nd owner, since 1975
        Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Tri 250 View Post
          The seat has been welded due to a break in the past and the non-handle side of the mechanism will not engage. The other side engages and pushes the fan shaped gear down so as to disengage the mechanism. I suspect this has been a problem and that is why seats were replaced.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by baws View Post

Ed and "Bullfire" are the same person.
            Duuhhhh! I am always slow on the uptake!

Comment

Seat recliner mechanism jammed

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,243   Posts: 496,115   Members: 57,012   Active Members: 142
            Welcome to our newest member, OnTheSpotHouston.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X