Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailing arm studs problem

Hey guys,
    I recently bought a TR6 with lots of upgrades and making good progress on project.... but I have a problem and need your advice.

The TR6 trailing arms 5/16"studs have been upgraded to 3/8 stud holes drilled and tapped for the hubs. But they used bolts to secure the GP hubs & CV axle to the trailing arm.

I replaced the bolts with studs and used Red permatex threadlocker. Then I realized the tapped holes are not all square to flange and so do not line up perfectly with the holes in the GP hub. Not off by much but enough so that the hub will not engage.

Looks like they were hand drilled without a jig. Once they realized it was not square.... they used bolts instead of studs as they had no choice.

About half are not square so I will have to use heat to help remove the studs.

Does anyone think a machine shop would be able to re-drill the trailing arms​​​ and insert Helicoils ...even though some of the holes are not square ?

Thank you for any ideas. and see you in Lexington

Is the trailing arm off the car? If so I would just take it to a machine shop and see what they say. Or bring some pictures with you.

Whether or not they can make it so it accepts 5/16 studs again may depend on what kind of helicoils are available. I’m not too up to speed on helicoils. Used keenserts in mine.

Comment

Another option would be to buy new trailing arms.

Talk to 'Todd in Lexington. He probably has some.
      1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Rat-co sells a replacement trailing arm but it ain’t cheap.

Comment

I would attempt the following:
          Using a machinist square find out which studs are square with the flange and mark them.
          Remove the remaining studs that are out of square.
          Get my hands on or buy Rick Patton"s repair kit.
          Take the trailing arms to a machine shop and get them to fill the bad holes with tig weld.
          I would then re-drill and tap the holes using Patton's repair kit or get the machine shop to do it with the kit.
          The only caveat is the type of cast aluminum the trailing arms are made of as certain cast aluminum does not tig weld very well.

Byron

Comment

There are used trailing arms on eBay occasionally, it might be easier to get a pair and start over. Or get some from Todd, if you contact him now and make a deal he might bring them to TRials for you.
            72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
            67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Buy a used set on eBay and then get Patton's TA Repair Kit and the holes correctly .... here's his kit in action http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/TAJig.htm
              1975 Mimosa with a few upgrades/mods:
              Patton TBI
              HVDA Toyota 5 speed
              Goodparts Nissan Diff
              Goodparts CVJs
              AAW Wire Harness
              Miata Seats
              Boyd Welding Custom 15 gallon aluminum gas tank

Comment

Yes, a good machine shop can fix the damaged ones. They can drill oversize, and restore the hole using Keen-serts. Alternatives also include using multi-size studs...with your crooked 3/8" in the hole, and 5/16" out of the hole. The thinner, stock size end may have enough wiggle room to get through the hub.

If you are travelling west-to-east, I know where there is a good pair an hour west of Tuscaloosa, AL and 2:45 southeast of Memphis, TN.

PM if any interest.
                Last edited by TR6_Jim; 09-18-2022, 01:22 PM.

Comment

All
                  Thank you VERY MUCH for the great info / response as the 6-Pack is an awesome resource.
                  I have the body off as I was reinforcing the frame so today I took the trail arms back off and pulled the studs.
                  I will take it to a machine shop tomorrow and see if the Keenserts are an option and if not will see about replacement used Trailing arms.

Thanks again for the great feedback and look forward to meeting you guys in Lexington.

Comment

All
                    THanks again for the help. I took the trail arms to a machine shop but he had no experience with the 3/8 studs and had no jig and was concerned about getting it fully square..
                    Then I sent pics to GP and spoke to Richard and he was confident he could fix them so I shipped them to him yesterday !

Overall I had spent about 4 hours with honing and fitting the arms for the nylatron bushings and they are in place pretty solid and could be damaged on removal.
                    Then I looked at used arm prices on Ebay and decided that even with a deal from a club member I would still have to get the hubs drilled / tapped and honed for Nylatron. So it seemed about the same price overall and less hassle to have Richard fix it for me. Now on to the next step in the project.
                    Hub / stud and frame upgrade pics.
                    Regards
                    Donaghk​
                    Attached Files

Comment

All
                      Great 6 Pack in Lexington KY...my first and it was so much FUN ! I posted avove that I was sending the TA to Richard at GParts and I did so the day before I left for the TRIALS. Well I got home and 4 days later the repaired TA's arrived. I also asked Richard to shave 1/2" off the bump stop boss as I have the shorter HD GP springs. So I was excited when the caliper mounting plate and hub easily Click image for larger version

Name:	TA Pic.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	550084 slid over the studs on the TA. Richard said he helicoiled and Loctited each stud. Awesome customer service !! Now I can move on to assembly

Comment

Trailing arm studs problem

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,123   Posts: 495,263   Members: 56,950   Active Members: 150
                      Welcome to our newest member, Mac M.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X