Key won't go in the ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key won't go in the ignition

I haven't driven the 6 for a year. Went out to start it and the key won't go in. The steering wheel is locked with the wheels turned to the right. I sprayed some lube, not WD40, in there but that didn't loosen anything up. Is there anything else I can try? Maybe I need a new ignition switch. I got out my Bentley and looked under there thinking I could take it apart. I learned quickly it isn't an easy job and got a backache to boot. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by roadTRip View Post
    I haven't driven the 6 for a year. Went out to start it and the key won't go in. The steering wheel is locked with the wheels turned to the right. I sprayed some lube, not WD40, in there but that didn't loosen anything up. Is there anything else I can try? Maybe I need a new ignition switch. I got out my Bentley and looked under there thinking I could take it apart. I learned quickly it isn't an easy job and got a backache to boot. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
    roadTrip --- Try turning the steering wheel as far as possible in different directions as you insert the key.

Dick
    Last edited by dicta; 08-04-2022, 02:18 AM.

Comment

I know this may sound like a 'duh' but is this the right key?

Comment

Try turning the steering wheel back and forth quickly while inserting the key.
        Ralph
        TR250 "Eileen"
        MGB "Merck"
        VW GTI

Comment

I've tried both of those ideas to no effect. I'll keep trying. And, yes, it is the right key. The weather is beautiful up here in the PNW and I'd sure like to be out there in my 6.Thanks guys.

Comment

Tell me what year and I can probably tell you how to hot wire it.
            Never mind..that wouldn't do any good because you couldn't go anywhere with the steering wheel still locked...oh well.
            Last edited by poolboy; 08-05-2022, 12:36 PM.
            Driving a 1973 TR6
            Doing ZS carb repairs
            email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Is the key damaged? Take a close look.
              Non-OD

Comment

Do you have a second key to try?

Try heating the key, insert as far as it will go and let it sit for a few minutes.
                72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
                67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Could try putting some Kroil on the key and insert/remove several times whilst moving the steering wheel.
                  Ralph
                  TR250 "Eileen"
                  MGB "Merck"
                  VW GTI

Comment

Well folks, I tried all your suggestions and decided it is just bad. There was no way the key was going to go in. So, in frustration, I removed the steering lock ignition. It is a Waso unit and The Roadster Factory is the only supplier who lists an ignition by that manufacturer so I'll call them tomorrow. The price difference between Waso and the aftermarket is $200 to $124.

Here is a suggestion for others who have to deal with the sheered bolts. After spraying the bolts with penetrating oil, try drilling the bolt out. I used a small bit to start and it ended up unscrewing it out. I wish I'd thought of that for the first one too.

Thanks again.

Comment

The suggestions are not bad but the best way is to contact an emergency locksmith that can help fix the ignition lock problems.

Comment

Not related to the key, but if you haven't had the car out for a year, I have to ask..is the gasoline left over from last year ?
                        Driving a 1973 TR6
                        Doing ZS carb repairs
                        email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

I had a similar issue, and I took the lock itself apart, which is a bit of a challenge. What I found was
                          the lock was so worn internally that the tumbler pins were falling sideways, rendering the lock
                          unable to accept the key. I bought what I believe was one of the last replacement lock tumblers from Obsolete
                          Automotive (I think that is the name) in Canada. The rest of the mechanism that the tumbler goes into
                          was stil useable so I did not have to replace the entire unit. If you choose to remove the tumbler from the
                          column locking device, a locksmith could perhaps remove one offending pin and the lock could be reused.
                          -Dennis

Comment

Key won't go in the ignition

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,123   Posts: 495,263   Members: 56,950   Active Members: 150
                          Welcome to our newest member, Mac M.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X