gross jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gross jets

I run with a triple stromberg set up on my 74. For a while now i was getting fuel seeping out of 2 of the 3 starter boxes. I figured either my floats werent set properly or the float needle valves were leaking a bit. Ive been living with it for a while and just wiping it off occasionally. Then one of the float valves stuck on me the other day flooding one of my carbs. Time to address this. Getting tired of the float valves i took a chance and bought 3 new Gross valves hoping the quality has improved. Boy was i wrong. 2 of them stuck wide open right out of the box. So going thru my spare parts stash i reinstalled some of the old valves i had and it cured my problem for now. Bottom line dont waste your time and money on gross jets.I know there has been a lot of negative about Gross jets but i took a chance anyway. I lost.

When the Gross jets first came out, 40 years ago, they were an improvement. But the new versions are not the same as the originals. I had a pair of the early ones and had no problems with them.
    CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
    2nd owner, since 1975
    Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Tried 2, 2 failed within a hundred miles. No more chances for me.
      72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
      67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

My test. With the carb upsidedown on a bench, and the weight of the float holding the valve closed, connect a hand vacuum tool (like a Mityvac) to the fuel Inlet tube of the carb and pump the hand tool to apply some vacuum. if the vacuum holds , the valve seals and useable. If vacuum bleeds off, then it is NOT going in.
        '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
        Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
        Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
        Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
        Redlines always.
        My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

Originally posted by baws View Post
          When the Gross jets first came out, 40 years ago, they were an improvement. But the new versions are not the same as the originals. I had a pair of the early ones and had no problems with them.
          el
          Must be true about the year(s) these jets were made. I've had the same one in an S.U. HD8 carburetor since 1986. The only time it stuck open I found a piece of black rubber, probably from a fuel line, keeping the ball from closing off.the seat. There's a thimble screen that filters out debris at the fuel inlet, so the mystery remains as to where the rubber bit came from.

Dick

Comment

Which supplier would you guys recommend to source the float needle valves? or do they all get them from the same mfgr. I had 6 of them in my stash and all but 1 failed the vacuum test as TR6Harris mentioned. Joe Curto maybe. Hey Ken (poolboy) where do you source yours for your rebuild service?

Comment

From Joe Curto...dba British Superior Click image for larger version

Name:	NEEDLE VALVE Joe Curto 001.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	460.2 KB
ID:	548308
              Driving a 1973 TR6
              Doing ZS carb repairs
              email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

• tr6ed
                tr6ed commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Ken

gross jets

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,991   Posts: 494,175   Members: 56,892   Active Members: 145
            Welcome to our newest member, TriumphFan.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

• Sep 10
              01:00 AM | The annual British Car Day in Cincinnati is September 11th.

Live music, food, and beer trucks

Two new classes added, British...
            • No more items.
            Working...
            X