Unable to lean the mixture on my TR6 Stromberg CD175 rear carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to lean the mixture on my TR6 Stromberg CD175 rear carb

I am having trouble leaning the mixture on the rear Stromberg carb on my 76 TR6. I am using a Colourtune to view the mixture and when I turn the needle counterclockwise using the adjustment tool the needle lowers but there is no change in the mixture. The spark remains bright yellow. Does anyone know what else could be affecting the mixture other than the needle. The front carbs mixture changes as the needle is raised and lowered and can be set with Colourtune to the correct mixture.

I'm sure that Poolboy will join in on this subject, and provide a range of things for you to check. But one thing you should note is if you turn the adjusting screw too far in one direction (as I recall when leaning the mixture) it will uncouple from the needle and make Further adjustments impossible. There may be other things for you to check like the diaphragm, but we need Ken (Poolboy) to speak out - he is the Stromberg expert.
    1976 TR-6 BRG - CF57239U
    Carbs by Poolboy
    Rear Camber Kit, Rear Hubs by Goodparts
    Gear Reduction Starter by TSI
    Distributor by British Vacuum

Comment

Thanks, bartman: good point about the needle disengagement......Tush put me in touch with the fellow this morning via an email.
      Basically I suggested he look at the choke engagement (actually disengagement) and compare the jet depth below the bridge in the rear carb with the front carb's jet.
      Also suggested checking the spark plugs for evaluating the mixture as described in the note that's included with my rebuilds..
      Driving a 1973 TR6
      Doing ZS carb repairs
      email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Never could get the colortune to work. Car runs rich a idle and loads up and the 'mirror' was difficult to see.

My Colortune sits in the box of misfit tools...

Suggest follow PB's lead and some plug reads....

You did say rear carb, so assuming the colortune showed some change on the front carb...Still the tool was no-go for me...
        '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
        Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
        Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
        Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
        Redlines always.
        My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

This setup works a treat for AFR setting. A simple Bosch O2 sensor plugs into the basic ebay AFR gauge. Powers off the battery with clip leads. I pop the O2 sensor into the exhaust and have at it.

I've checked the accuracy between a normal O2 sensor on my daily driver, and via the exhaust too using the Torque app and a bluetooth dongle. Only very minor differences so I think the exhaust placed O2 sensor is quite accurate. I can even drive around the block with this test rig.
          1974 TR-6 Logic Overdrive

Comment

Unable to lean the mixture on my TR6 Stromberg CD175 rear carb

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,032   Posts: 494,458   Members: 56,913   Active Members: 138
          Welcome to our newest member, julian30.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

• Sep 10
            01:00 AM | The annual British Car Day in Cincinnati is September 11th.

Live music, food, and beer trucks

Two new classes added, British...
          • No more items.
          Working...
          X