Winter projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter projects

Thought I'd let you all know what I plan to tackle this winter. In no particular order:
    1) Hardtop liner (came with car new from PO)
    2) new softop - some advice here as far as going with vinyl or canvas. Canvas doesn't shrink? Shrinkage... there is a joke there somewhere!
    3) Fix rattling shifter
    4) Replace wiper control - or try to fix
    5) heat shield floor
    6) Bonnet alignment
    7) Trunk latch adjusted so truck/boot? doesn't move
    8) Remove rocker oiler
    9) New vacuum hoses
    10) learn more about my petronix ignition
    11) Maybe replace rad and fan. Likely update to electronic fan.
    12) Repair window "tracks" - found a great blog on this - Danielson I think
    13) bonnet lift kit
    14) Foot rest/dead pedal
    15) Center console may build my own
    16) Retrosound sound stereo - I want bluetooth and usb for phone charging
    17) Plan for possible engine overhaul next winter. I have low compression and fouling plugs. Somewhat remediated by new plugs and correct gap.

I did so much this spring that I'm not planning much TR work over the winter, but I'll pull the carbs to replace the throttle shaft seals and make sure the chokes are working correctly. I'm also thinking about making my own steering wheel, a clone of my '69 wheel with a smaller rim diameter. That all seems doable in the basement, which is a lot warmer than my unheated garage.
    Bill Connell
    1969 TR6 CC28790
    TR6 project log
    St. Paul MN

Comment

My winter project is to write a check to the shop that completes my winter list of things beyond my ability
      Ralph
      TR250 "Eileen"
      MGB "Merck"
      VW GTI

Comment

Bill. Make sure to post pics of that steering wheel project. I have wood moto-Lita and love it.

Ralph. I'm with you on that. Did the oil change last weekend and I just about wanted to burn the car to the ground!

Comment

Good list Tom! That should keep you busy.

Cheers,
          Tush
          81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
          73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
          62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
          60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
          https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Originally posted by Tom H View Post
            Thought I'd let you all know what I plan to tackle this winter. In no particular order:
            2) new softop - some advice here as far as going with vinyl or canvas. Canvas doesn't shrink? Shrinkage... there is a joke there somewhere!
            3) Fix rattling shifter
            5) heat shield floor
            6) Bonnet alignment
            8) Remove rocker oiler
            9) New vacuum hoses
            11) Maybe replace rad and fan. Likely update to electronic fan.
            13) bonnet lift kit
            14) Foot rest/dead pedal
            15) Center console may build my own
            17) Plan for possible engine overhaul next winter. I have low compression and fouling plugs. Somewhat remediated by new plugs and correct gap.
            Tom ---"Winter Projects"?

I'll probably have to roll up my windows in evening drives! Tee Hee..

So. Cal. Dick

Comment

I take it that you already have an alternate bonnet release.
              '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
              Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
              Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
              Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
              Redlines always.
              My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

Yes. It was already installed.

Comment

As far a your # 17 whatever that involves you might want to check the crankshaft end float.
                  On "new to you" cars that's a number to be aware of.
                  Driving a 1973 TR6
                  Doing ZS carb repairs
                  email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Thanks Ken. I've read about that and watched videos. I better get at it.

Comment

Some thoughts

Kevin (AKA Wolf76STL) did a great writeup a while back when he did his. I followed that when I did mine and it turned out pretty well (though not as good as Kevin's). Its a fiddly piece of work but with patience it can turn out pretty well.

I went with canvas and have been very happy with it. There's a writeup from FID in one of the old 6-Pack magazines that's a great guide. Again, fiddly work but certainly doable.

Good luck finding a working replacement. I fixed mine with JB Weld and so far so good though I expect it to break every time I turn on the wipers (which is not often)

5) heat shield floor
                      Do the floor, the tranny tunnel and as long as you're in there for #7, the insides of the doors. Lots of opinions on here about what insulation is best.

6) Bonnet alignment
                      Yuck! Painful job but made much easier if you pull the grill off the car for the job.

20+ years and mine still isn't right

Interestingly, years ago when I reached when out to Jeff at Advanced Distributor about a rebuild and asked that he switch it to petronix at the same time he told me I should stick with points. Claims they are more reliable and that there's not much of a benefit to electronic ignition. Perhaps give him a call?

Yes, Bob's writeup is the best answer IMHO.

I put one in my car as well...never seem to turn it on though.

73 TR6
                      Dundee, IL
                      My TR6

Comment

• Tom H
                        Tom H commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great points Phil. Pretty certain I'll be having the hard top liner and soft top outsourced. I viewed Kevin's work and have to say, I do not have the patience for that! The rest? Well I'll pick away the best I can.

In case you lost it..... here's the link to the window channel repair..... a whole lot cheaper and easier than the Moss product http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/WindowChannel.htm

1975 Mimosa with a few upgrades/mods:
                      Patton TBI
                      HVDA Toyota 5 speed
                      Goodparts Nissan Diff
                      Goodparts CVJs
                      AAW Wire Harness
                      Miata Seats
                      Boyd Welding Custom 15 gallon aluminum gas tank

Comment

I did plenty last winter (regreased front hubs, flushed brake system, new tranny oil, gas hood struts, onboard battery conditioner), so this winter I'll check the torque on everything underneath and possibly regrease the halfshaft splines. The weather here in NC is mild enough that I can drive regularly until/if they salt the roads.
                        Dave C
                        '72 Sapphire #CC82360UO
                        Chapel Hill NC

Comment

Tom, re the rattling shifter, check the knob. I purchased a wooden knob with a TR logo and after a few hundred miles I thought the shifter itself was rattling. It turned out the metal tube inside the wooden knob only had one tiny dob of glue on one side and was rattling around as a result. on hiring this story friend of mine suggested, again, that MG and TR owners suffer a level of quality that people who play with US or German cars don't have to deal with. I can't argue with him.

Comment

Winter projects

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,786   Posts: 492,636   Members: 56,535   Active Members: 5,516
                          Welcome to our newest member, GonacoDob.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X