"Run on" Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Run on" Issue

Been working up the TR (among others) for road use and she's running on or dieseling badly today.
    Vaccum at normal op. temp is 17 HG, cam is stock, later PI unit.
    Fuel is not that old, a few months maybe, high test, or as close as I can get these days.
    Before I start chasing my tail, any suggestions?
    (Oh, I forgot to mention, it's Effing hot in these parts and I run rich settings on the carb needles. )
    CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
    2nd owner, since 1975
    Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Can you think of anything different when that first started, Bruce ?
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Nothing besides cleaning and waxing the exterior Ken.
      2nd owner, since 1975
      Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Originally posted by baws View Post
        Been working up the TR (among others) for road use and she's running on or dieseling badly today.
        Vaccum at normal op. temp is 17 HG, cam is stock, later PI unit.
        Fuel is not that old, a few months maybe, high test, or as close as I can get these days.
        Before I start chasing my tail, any suggestions?
        (Oh, I forgot to mention, it's Effing hot in these parts and I run rich settings on the carb needles. )
        Bruce --- No doubt you no longer have the anti run on valve, but setting the idle speed at the lowest rpm that the engine will tolerate should help with the run on.

Dick
        Last edited by dicta; Yesterday, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Nothing besides cleaning and waxing the exterior Ken.
          So it started 'running on' suddenly without any outside intervention ?
          If that's the case, Bruce, I wouldn't try any corrective measures because it's just as likely to start acting right again just as suddenly.
          Driving a 1973 TR6
          Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

Yeah, I think I'll just put some fresh fuel in her, set the idle a touch lower and just drive a few miles. Its supposed to be considerably cooler this weekend also.
            I do have the anti run on valve still connected, the original one that came with car, but it is slow. only "clicking" 3 or for seconds after shut down.
            2nd owner, since 1975
            Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

My car sat for a period of time at one point and had similar issues when I reawakened her. I recall having to clean some jello type stuff from the float bowls.

Maybe a good Italian tune up would get yours purring again!
              CF28612UO - Pimento/Chestnut/Overdrive/Hardtop
              Folsom, CA - Yeah, near the prison!

Comment

Yeah, I think I'll just put some fresh fuel in her, set the idle a touch lower and just drive a few miles. Its supposed to be considerably cooler this weekend also.
                I do have the anti run on valve still connected, the original one that came with car, but it is slow. only "clicking" 3 or for seconds after shut down.
                That's a sign it's working...or at least it's solenoid valve (electromagnet) is working...the click is the sound it makes when the ARV is deactivated because the residual Oil Pressure dropped and the ground for the ARV circuit was disconnected.
                Driving a 1973 TR6
                Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

My car tended to run on for abut two revolutions sometimes when stopped hot. I've gotten into the habit of turning off the ignition with the car in gear, but clutch depressed. Simultaneous with turning off the key, I let out the clutch. This squelches any run on. It's so routine for me now, that I have no idea if the car would still run on or not.

Ed
                  Last edited by ed_h; Yesterday, 09:33 AM.
                  For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

"Run on" Issue

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,679   Posts: 491,630   Members: 40,671   Active Members: 6,207
                  Welcome to our newest member, Kennethjop.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X