problem getting car into gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem getting car into gear

My 1969 TR6 has run very well until today. Although the clutch pressure and travel seems normal I cannot get it into any forward gear and reverse will just grind. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a follow up, I can get the car into gear when the engine is shut off. I tried again with the engine running and could not get it into any gear.

Comment

If you are getting the slave pushrod travel, check the thrust washer tolerance. Classic symptom of worm thrust washers or sheared clutch shaft pin.
      72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
      67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Originally posted by BRG69 View Post
        As a follow up, I can get the car into gear when the engine is shut off. I tried again with the engine running and could not get it into any gear.
        Something let go on the clutch. If the slave lever doesn’t move at least 1/2” with the pedal it’s the hydraulics. If it does, more likely a broken fork pin.
        Bill Connell
        1969 TR6 CC28790
        TR6 project log
        St. Paul MN

Comment

thanks guys, will check on your suggestions

Comment

You might be right but it doesn’t take long to check the TWs and it could save you a tranny pull.

Comment

checked slave lever(push rod?) it moved over 1/2 inch fork pin is intact. How difficult is it to check thrust washer? I'm no mechanic but i can bust knuckles with best of them.

Comment

Go here and read up.

https://www.britishcarweek.org/tr6_4.html

The simple check is to push the crank aft with a lever on the pulley against the cross tube. Then watch the pulley carefully or put your hand between it and the cross tube and have someone push the clutch to bottom, if you can see or feel ANY forward movement, you are out of spec. Unless that is you can tell 0.008 - 0.012”.

Comment

Originally posted by lfmTR4 View Post
                  Go here and read up.

https://www.britishcarweek.org/tr6_4.html

The simple check is to push the crank aft with a lever on the pulley against the cross tube. Then watch the pulley carefully or put your hand between it and the cross tube and have someone push the clutch to bottom, if you can see or feel ANY forward movement, you are out of spec. Unless that is you can tell 0.008 - 0.012”.
                  You're close enough about the spec for thrust washer movement, but it takes a lot more movement than this to cause a problem in clutch disengagement. Other than this relatively simple check, we on't want to lead BRG into more complications than he needs!

Dick

Comment

That's true Dick but once the thin plating is gone, it doesn't take long for them to gall and extrude. Then you have plenty of room for the clutch not to engage.

These were the originals in the pan when I bought my car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tw_wear.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	544389

Comment

Thanks again guys, this may or may not be an issue but the fluid level in the master cylinder was down 5/8 of an inch. It was suggested I bleed the system with Dot 3 fluid.

Comment

• 46er
                        46er commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Use the same spec fluid that is in there now unless you plan on flushing the system.

Does a thrust washer give any warning signs prior to failure? Hard to engage gears, grinding etc.? My car was shifting easily prior to this problem.

Comment

Not really, the engine can run just fine with the thrust washer out of spec, it just increases wear on internal parts. Even if it drops out, the main symptom may be the clutch engaging differently. This is part of why it's important to check the fore/aft movement of the crank at regular service intervals.
                        Bill Connell
                        1969 TR6 CC28790
                        TR6 project log
                        St. Paul MN

Comment

If your thrust washers have gone missing or taken a bath, when you push the pedal, your RPMs will drop so pay close attention. If not, there are other reasons such as broken fork pin, hydraulics, clevis pins or ovalled holes in clutch pedal or push rod. Possibly the cross shaft bushes in the bell housing
                          So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
                          68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
                          69 TR6 Overdrive Early with fender beads
                          71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
                          81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by BRG69 View Post
                            Does a thrust washer give any warning signs prior to failure? Hard to engage gears, grinding etc.? My car was shifting easily prior to this problem.
                            Yeah, that’s why I asked you to check the clearance. If they have been extruded, the crank will move forward the thickness of the TW and offset the 5/8” slave rod movement. When I bought my car, it was hard to get into first and reverse with the engine running, no problem with the engine off.

Comment

problem getting car into gear

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,679   Posts: 491,630   Members: 40,674   Active Members: 6,189
                            Welcome to our newest member, uhopixisoli.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X