No announcement yet.

Source of engine "gurgling"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learn from my mistake: do not be tempted to use one of those box-end ratchet wrenches on those downpipes flange nuts, even if they fit and it would be easier than a stack of extensions and flex joint with a socket. The box-end will slowly tighten into the taper of the space (with the nut still not tightened down) until you have to hammer the wrench off.
    Bill Connell
    1969 TR6 CC28790
    TR6 project log
    St. Paul MN

Comment

Manifold gasket? Really. Man it didn't sound like that at all to me. My experience of exhaust gasket leaks is you get a "PFUFTT-PFUFFT-PFFUFT" sound every time that one cylinder is on the exhaust stroke.

To me yours sounded like what you would hear at the tail pipe, a burble that you would get from all 6 cylinders exhausting.
      1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Originally posted by Litespud View Post
        Too much air will lean out the mixture, no?
        In my experience, unmetered air (i.e. an intake leak) will cause a lean mixture. Less pull on the fuel across the venturi, so less fuel for the amount of air drawn in. This shows up in real time with an air/fuel meter and an 02 sensor in the exhaust down pipe.

Dick

Comment

TR6Bill and I took a drive up to see Poolboy over the weekend. What a great day! The heat was bearable on the road and the iced tea and peach cobbler made it all worthwhile. :-)
          This goes without saying but country roads are much preferred over city streets.

Also, Poolboy stuck his hand under the manifold and diagnosed the exhaust leak in a few seconds...quite a significant draft that will be further identified when we unbolt it in a few weekends (crack or gasket leak).

Thanks again for the hospitality Ken, and please tell the same to your wife!

Attached Files
          Last edited by TR6MIKE; 08-02-2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Hey Mike... and Bill, I know you're out there somewhere.
            Cormae and I really enjoyed y'alls company and the conversations about a whole range of things, not just cars.
            For me, it's hard to climb behind the wheel of my car without thinking of your Dad, the PO, TR6BILL.
            He put a lot of himself into that car and did a damn good job of it.
            I sense that he's done a lot of that already to your car, Mike,.. and wanting to do more....That's Bill.
            Anyway...Come back again anytime.
            Driving a 1973 TR6
            Doing ZS carb repairs
            email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Source of engine "gurgling"

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,679   Posts: 491,630   Members: 40,674   Active Members: 6,189
            Welcome to our newest member, uhopixisoli.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X