Source of engine "gurgling"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source of engine "gurgling"

Gentlemen, I haven't posted since July 31, 2019...times are good in New Orleans (contrary to what Lafcadio Hearn once said), especially as I have TR6BILL here to work on my car (and drive it at his leisure).
    We recently attempted to find the source of an engine noise that sounds like a small gasket leak: exhaust manifold or flange. It's a gurgling of sorts. No visible signs of a gasket leak and Bill's cigarette smoke test didn't bring up anything. It definitely overshadows the typical quiet ticking of the TR6 engine.

Feel free to watch the video on Instagram under the account TR6MIKE. Any thoughts?

Perhaps something with the carbs...that would necessitate a visit to Pool Boy (any excuse for a Northshore drive).

Under what conditions is it heard, Mike, idling, accelerating, downshifting ?
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Ken,

It's heard at idling. I can send you the video. Forgot to mention that we set the valves, changed the plugs (which were black) and check the compression.

Comment

Only at idle then I doubt it's carb related, Mike. If the plugs were black, then the combustion chamber and valves are too....Have you had the opportunity to get out and do some unrestricted driving ...prolonged spirited driving in wide open spaces ?...I mean New Orleans...not.
        Vacuum Gauge readings would be what I'd want to see, then depending upon those results, a compression test
        Driving a 1973 TR6
        Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

Originally posted by TR6MIKE View Post
          engine noise that sounds like a small gasket leak: exhaust manifold or flange.

There are (13) nuts that secure the intake & exhaust manifolds to the engine.
          1/2" and 9/16th" sockets will fit them all, plus extension on the ratchet.
          Make sure they are all torqued down tightly.
          When enough of them are loose, your mixture will be affected- too much air and that will cause rich mixture, plugs will get black.

It's a possibility.
          Starting fluid sprayed on the spark plug you are holding will clean a lot of the soot off. Then Clean the electrode and ring with fine sandpaper, emory board, small file.
          Last edited by SapphireBlue72; 07-16-2021, 09:31 AM.
          Walt
          CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
          poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

Originally posted by poolboy View Post
            Only at idle then I doubt it's carb related, Mike. If the plugs were black, then the combustion chamber and valves are too....Have you had the opportunity to get out and do some unrestricted driving ...prolonged spirited driving in wide open spaces ?...I mean New Orleans...not.
            Vacuum Gauge readings would be what I'd want to see, then depending upon those results, a compression test
            I would run some Seafoam through the motor by adding it to the tank (ratio on bottle). Important to remember not to top off tank until all the medicine has been digested.
            72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
            67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

I listened to the video.

Exhaust leak.

Edit, doesn't sound like exhaust manifold gasket problem but a hole in the exhaust system. Near the connection between the manifold and the exhuast pipes.
              Last edited by skootch13; 07-16-2021, 10:37 AM.
              1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Thanks, skootch..
                He's pretty good at noticing stuff like that, Mike.
                If you are still planning a TRip to Franklin, do what we talked about and do the seafoam treatment that Lou described for the drive there..It'll do the plugs, valves and combustion chamber a world of good.
                Driving a 1973 TR6
                Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

Originally posted by SapphireBlue72 View Post

There are (13) nuts that secure the intake & exhaust manifolds to the engine.
                  1/2" and 9/16th" sockets will fit them all, plus extension on the ratchet.
                  Make sure they are all torqued down tightly.
                  When enough of them are loose, your mixture will be affected- too much air and that will cause rich mixture, plugs will get black.

It's a possibility.
                  Starting fluid sprayed on the spark plug you are holding will clean a lot of the soot off. Then Clean the electrode and ring with fine sandpaper, emory board, small file.
                  Too much air will lean out the mixture, no?
                  Dave C
                  '72 Sapphire #CC82360UO
                  Chapel Hill NC

Comment

• SapphireBlue72
                    SapphireBlue72 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are correct.
                    What I meant was:
                    What happens is too much air escapes with loose gaskets, and doesn't balance out the fuel- so fuel is too rich, plugs get sooty.
                    Thank you, Dave.

Yeah, definitely sounds like an exhaust leak.

Cheers,
                  Tush
                  81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
                  73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
                  62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
                  60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

I know these guys pretty well...in fact the TR6 I have now was once Mike's dad's (TR6BILL) so I kind of keep up with them.
                    Mike if you are still around,wasn't it just a couple years ago that an exhaust gasket was replaced. Since it was Dad's doing, that might be the best place to look now...
                    TR6BILL has a good sense of humor...he won't mind.
                    Driving a 1973 TR6
                    Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

Those manifolds need to be retightened a few heat cycles after installing a new gasket, if that wasn't done that might be what caused the leak. I just did that on my rebuilt engine and was surprised how much some of those nuts moved before they were tight again.
                      Bill Connell
                      1969 TR6 CC28790
                      TR6 project log
                      St. Paul MN

Comment

Thanks poolboy, skootch, lfmTR4 and others...you guys really are a special community. I just posted a pic on instagram of TR6BILL squeezing to reach the exhaust clamps as the car was on the ground in his garage (jacks are at mine in New Orleans). Yesterday we hammered the muffler with a rubber mallet to make the pipe connection a better fit, then tightened back the clamps, thinking that was the source of the leak. Nope. Also is using a mallet on a TR6 ever kosher? TR6BILL said so, but I wonder...

Added the seafoam, ran it around 3200 RPM for 2 hours Saturday and again Sunday, tightened bolts on manifold and flange, adjusted the timing...nothing. Then we noticed smoke at the manifold gasket near one bolt closer to the battery.. So that seems to be the source of the leak and we will replace that at some point soon. Not sure what type to get, so feel free to make suggestions here.

And yes, TR6BILL replaced that gasket a couple of years ago. It's in his contract that parts fail regularly...job security or something. Though I'm still getting a hell of a deal with his labor prices.

Comment

• poolboy
                          poolboy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You don't find too many guys that work for a carton of smokes these days, that's for sure.

You never know…I’ve seen the manifold crack down there as well…hopefully just a gasket needs replacing.

Cheers,
                        Tush
                        81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
                        73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
                        62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
                        60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

I'll never forget when I was locked in mortal combat with the down-pipe to exhaust attachment-point nuts.

Eventual combination of tools included a bunch of extensions plugged together, a flex-joint, socket and the ratchet. Cheater pipe over ratchet handle.

The hardest to access point was the corner closest to the battery.
                          Last edited by SapphireBlue72; 07-19-2021, 03:37 PM.
                          Walt
                          CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
                          poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

Source of engine "gurgling"

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,679   Posts: 491,630   Members: 40,674   Active Members: 6,186
                          Welcome to our newest member, uhopixisoli.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X