Preventing Hard Top Bushing Rings On Rear Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing Hard Top Bushing Rings On Rear Deck

Last fall I applied Static Cling Car Sticker material to the rear deck below the bushings of the hard top. Today removed the hard top and the cling material and the paint was undisturbed.
    Attached Files
    1974 TR6 CF19837U

According to the hard top instruction manual, the rear bolts should be adjusted to provide a .100" gap between the rubber buffers and the deck.
    Berry

Comment

Yes. Good insurance option, but the HT is supposed to float/gap from the deck
      '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
      Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
      Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
      Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
      Redlines always.
      My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

I was concerned about the bumpers hitting the paint, but they never did. I have plenty of room. I wonder if you are missing the rear seal.

Comment

Interesting. My hardtop touches the paint but perhaps I'm just tightening the bolts too much. I'll keep that in mind when fall comes around.
          73 TR6
          Libertyville, IL
          My TR6

Comment

Originally posted by phil73 View Post
            Interesting. My hardtop touches the paint but perhaps I'm just tightening the bolts too much. I'll keep that in mind when fall comes around.
            One side of my hard top buffer does touch the paint and the other side has a .008 (feeler gauge) gap. I actually tried to close the side with the gap thinking the rubber was supposed to touch the deck area. Having driven cars with wind in the face since 1952 I've had enough, so this top has only been removed once in 5 years. The one time I did remove the top after having driven it for about year showed no sign of paint scuffing. Don't know or care if this was from the harder acrylic enamel paint applied 20 years ago or not. I like the looks of the hard top as it sits.

Dick

Comment

i have some damage from that ring - learned some of this too late, but glad others are catching this - and I can remember thinking - i need to adjust these so they touch! Thanks for posting, leadfoot.

Comment

Preventing Hard Top Bushing Rings On Rear Deck

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,510   Posts: 490,163   Members: 20,412   Active Members: 5,523
              Welcome to our newest member, RicoIrort.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X