Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TR250 Carb Mystery Solved!

Hi Gang,

For the last year or so I've been suffering from an issue where half of my plugs were constantly fouling, I looked at the floats, the needles, etc, to no avail. Then I started thinking about the history of service on the car. What had happened just before the problem started? I had sent the car in for a clutch replacement and had asked the shop to "go through" the car for any other issues. When I got the car back I could see that some of the vacuum lines to the carbs had been replaced. (some badly using the wrong sized connectors).
    I took the car back to the shop who worked on it previously. Another tech worked on it for many hours and couldn't solve the problem.

"I bet Poolboy knows where this is going".

I took apart the cold idle assembly and found that one of them had been re-assembled backwards. Case closed! Nice tan toasty plugs again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3918.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	541567

I may not have recognized the problem right off the bat just from those symptoms but I do find them like that now and then
    Last edited by poolboy; 05-03-2021, 08:28 PM.
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Ken,

When the disks are in backwards, do they allow fuel into the engine even when in the off position?

I worked on a car that had the disks in backwards on both. You couldn't start the car without ether of course. I did not think to check the plugs to see if they were black.
      1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Hard or impossible to start is the complaint I usually hear, Aaron..I don't have the opportunity to see the plugs myself on those engines; usually it's just an email or note with the carbs describing some of the problems they are experiencing.
        I am having a hard time imagining how that 'upside down' holes in the disc could blacken the plugs....That's why I said I may not have recognized the problem with the disc from those symptoms.
        Driving a 1973 TR6
        Doing ZS carb repairs
        email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

TR250 Carb Mystery Solved!

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,458   Posts: 489,752   Members: 14,980   Active Members: 580
        Welcome to our newest member, ahgedott.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X