Windscreen Washer Bottle Bracket attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen Washer Bottle Bracket attachment

As long as I have owned and been around our beloved Triumphs, I continue to learn about the oddities of how these cars were constructed. One of the many items that fail due to age is the elastic that holds the windscreen washer bottle to the bracket. Consequently, the bracket and bottle are normally aged as well and are replaced at the same time.

I recently ordered a new bracket and bottle assembly along with the attachment hardware. However, as I started to remove the bracket, I realized there were 2 rivets and 1 bolt securing the bracket to the firewall. I, at first, thought a PO had attached the bracket with 2 rivets as a quick fix. However, after speaking with a couple TR6 owners, they said their brackets were attached the same way to their cars. What's interesting, though, is that the aftermarket suppliers do not list the 2 rivets required to attach the bracket nor does the original spare parts catalog. They all list that 3 bolts and 3 nutserts are required for attaching the bracket. Does anyone know why Triumph elected to use 2 rivets and 1 bolt to hold the bracket to the firewall? I have attached a pic to illustrate the attachment of the bracket.

Attached Files

It was moved when they changed to the longer intake manifold on the 72 model. The original holes remained throughout production.
    R3
    Jim Herter,͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏Copperas Cove, TX
    Original Owner ֍ 1970 TR6 CC 50990 LO

Comment

Thank you Jim. I guess you never know until you ask. The car that I have is a ‘73, the pic attached is a ‘72, and the cars owned by the owners I consulted with are 74’s so this makes perfect sense. Therefore, my assumption then is that the rubber plugs next to the bracket are the original mounting locations for the earlier cars?

Comment

I ran into that same problem on my 74 a few years ago, and had the same question. I'm pretty sure it was Jim who explained it to me back then. Thanks again, Jim.

Ed
        For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Tri 250 View Post
          As long as I have owned and been around our beloved Triumphs, I continue to learn about the oddities of how these cars were constructed. One of the many items that fail due to age is the elastic that holds the windscreen washer bottle to the bracket. Consequently, the bracket and bottle are normally aged as well and are replaced at the same time.

I recently ordered a new bracket and bottle assembly along with the attachment hardware. However, as I started to remove the bracket, I realized there were 2 rivets and 1 bolt securing the bracket to the firewall. I, at first, thought a PO had attached the bracket with 2 rivets as a quick fix. However, after speaking with a couple TR6 owners, they said their brackets were attached the same way to their cars. What's interesting, though, is that the aftermarket suppliers do not list the 2 rivets required to attach the bracket nor does the original spare parts catalog. They all list that 3 bolts and 3 nutserts are required for attaching the bracket. Does anyone know why Triumph elected to use 2 rivets and 1 bolt to hold the bracket to the firewall? I have attached a pic to illustrate the attachment of the bracket.
          Not for the purist, but if one wants to hang a washer bottle without drilling any holes in the body, here's what I just completed yesterday. (Haven't bundled the wires yet) but it works with the momentary windshield wiper/washer switch on the dash.
          Less than $20.00 for the bottle, plastic lines, bracket, and hardware. Even came with a momentary push-to-play button, for those who would want to use it.

I probably haven't used the washer for the windshield more than twice in the 47 + years I've had the car, but rather it is used as the source for the water injection triggered by boost pressure.

There is a "T" in the tubing going to the car's window jets, but capped off until needed.

Dick

Comment

After replacing the stock style elastic securing strap for the washer bottle the second time because it rotted and went slack, I replaced it with a piece of leather belt with metal snaps.
            But like Dick, I seldom, if ever, used the washer feature. Most washer fluids stain the plastic bottle, making it unsightly.
            CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
            2nd owner, since 1975
            Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Man, I've been wondering for 41 years what the heck Triumph was thinking.

You learn something every day.

Thanks Jim!
              '72 TR6 CC81636UO

Comment

Windscreen Washer Bottle Bracket attachment

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,338   Posts: 488,573   Members: 13,708   Active Members: 652
              Welcome to our newest member, Danieltuh.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X