X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dicta
    replied
    Originally posted by poolboy View Post
    Tad, since Dick mentioned his measurement of his open end wrenches, it made me think to ask....did you use the open or box end on those jam nuts ?
    FWIW, on those although I've never measure either end, I always use the box end.
    Come to think of it, so do I. Easier to hold the wrench on the nut!

Dick

Leave a comment:

• tadmcd
    replied
    i was the screwdriver/feeler gauge guy and i'm not totally sure, but i'm fairly certain he was using the open end of both wrenches (one came from a "standard" set and the other from the fancy-pants set with the ratchets).

both of the 1/2" wrenches measure .510; naturally, i didn't pull the valve cover to check the jam nuts.

Leave a comment:

• poolboy
    replied
    Tad, since Dick mentioned his measurement of his open end wrenches, it made me think to ask....did you use the open or box end on those jam nuts ?
    FWIW, on those although I've never measure either end, I always use the box end.

Leave a comment:

• dicta
    replied
    Originally posted by tadmcd View Post
    i was adjusting the valves the other day and found that i didn't have a wrench to "fit" the lockdown nuts. both 1/2" and 13mm seemed a bit loose while the next sizes down, in both standard and metric, didn't fit at all.
    To see which is out of size, the 1/2" nuts measure .495. All of my Craftsman open end wrenches measure .512

Dick

Leave a comment:

• Dave@Moon3
    replied
    Often a 6 sided flare nut wrench is designed to bite on the flat sides of the hex, not the corners. You might try that next time.

Leave a comment:

• tadmcd
    commented on 's reply
    thanks, cher.

• tadmcd
    replied
    Originally posted by skootch13 View Post
    They are 1/2" Supposed to be at least. What brand are your wrenches? I have some cheapo wrenches that are a smidge bigger or smaller than what they are supposed to be. Maybe your nutz are at the bottom of the tolerance level and your wrench is at the upper portion?
    good point. i tried wrenches from different sets (both craftsman). same result.

just weird that 12 nutz would all present with the same size issue, especially with different wrenches.

ah well, it worked...just not goldilocks.

Leave a comment:

• tadmcd
    replied
    Originally posted by oppositelocksmith View Post
    Tad, are your nuts too small?
    no. apparently my wrench is too big...

Leave a comment:

• oppositelocksmith
    replied
    Tad, are your nuts too small?

Leave a comment:

• poolboy
    replied
    Half inch, right...
    If you do replace them, Tad, they are 'jam nuts'....just a little less tall than regular nuts

Leave a comment:

• skootch13
    replied
    They are 1/2" Supposed to be at least. What brand are your wrenches? I have some cheapo wrenches that are a smidge bigger or smaller than what they are supposed to be. Maybe your nutz are at the bottom of the tolerance level and your wrench is at the upper portion?

Leave a comment:

• tadmcd
    started a topic nut size?

nut size?

i was adjusting the valves the other day and found that i didn't have a wrench to "fit" the lockdown nuts. both 1/2" and 13mm seemed a bit loose while the next sizes down, in both standard and metric, didn't fit at all.

nut size?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,411   Posts: 489,282   Members: 14,548   Active Members: 616
Welcome to our newest member, KazvosaBouth.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
X