nut size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nut size?

i was adjusting the valves the other day and found that i didn't have a wrench to "fit" the lockdown nuts. both 1/2" and 13mm seemed a bit loose while the next sizes down, in both standard and metric, didn't fit at all.

"PD" - 1973 Mallard TR6

They are 1/2" Supposed to be at least. What brand are your wrenches? I have some cheapo wrenches that are a smidge bigger or smaller than what they are supposed to be. Maybe your nutz are at the bottom of the tolerance level and your wrench is at the upper portion?
    1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

Half inch, right...
      If you do replace them, Tad, they are 'jam nuts'....just a little less tall than regular nuts
      Driving a 1973 TR6
      Doing ZS carb repairs
      email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

• tadmcd
        tadmcd commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks, cher.

Tad, are your nuts too small?
      1973 TR6 – BRG with beige interior, custom LED lighting
      Hardtop, OD, Rollbar, 15”Koenigs
      Bored, balanced and polished motor with PI cam, hi-comp head, triple DCOE's
      Header, custom exhaust, custom alternator, e-fan
      Lowered, poly suspension, Konis and rear anti roll-bar
      www.coventrysfinest.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by oppositelocksmith View Post
        Tad, are your nuts too small?
        no. apparently my wrench is too big...
        "PD" - 1973 Mallard TR6

Comment

Originally posted by skootch13 View Post
          They are 1/2" Supposed to be at least. What brand are your wrenches? I have some cheapo wrenches that are a smidge bigger or smaller than what they are supposed to be. Maybe your nutz are at the bottom of the tolerance level and your wrench is at the upper portion?
          good point. i tried wrenches from different sets (both craftsman). same result.

just weird that 12 nutz would all present with the same size issue, especially with different wrenches.

ah well, it worked...just not goldilocks.
          "PD" - 1973 Mallard TR6

Comment

Often a 6 sided flare nut wrench is designed to bite on the flat sides of the hex, not the corners. You might try that next time.

Comment

Originally posted by tadmcd View Post
              i was adjusting the valves the other day and found that i didn't have a wrench to "fit" the lockdown nuts. both 1/2" and 13mm seemed a bit loose while the next sizes down, in both standard and metric, didn't fit at all.
              To see which is out of size, the 1/2" nuts measure .495. All of my Craftsman open end wrenches measure .512

Dick

Comment

Tad, since Dick mentioned his measurement of his open end wrenches, it made me think to ask....did you use the open or box end on those jam nuts ?
                FWIW, on those although I've never measure either end, I always use the box end.
                Driving a 1973 TR6
                Doing ZS carb repairs
                email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

i was the screwdriver/feeler gauge guy and i'm not totally sure, but i'm fairly certain he was using the open end of both wrenches (one came from a "standard" set and the other from the fancy-pants set with the ratchets).

both of the 1/2" wrenches measure .510; naturally, i didn't pull the valve cover to check the jam nuts.
                  "PD" - 1973 Mallard TR6

Comment

Originally posted by poolboy View Post
                    Tad, since Dick mentioned his measurement of his open end wrenches, it made me think to ask....did you use the open or box end on those jam nuts ?
                    FWIW, on those although I've never measure either end, I always use the box end.
                    Come to think of it, so do I. Easier to hold the wrench on the nut!

Dick

Comment

nut size?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,338   Posts: 488,573   Members: 13,708   Active Members: 652
                    Welcome to our newest member, Danieltuh.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X