Hardtop Headliner Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardtop Headliner Installation

I have a new headliner, rubber and glass and am ready to do the installation on my restored hardtop. First time doing this. I have looked over a number of posts and am not able to view a number of the images that are posted. Any ideas how to access? Also, as I am fitting this headliner I seem to have trouble getting the C-pillar portion to align. Any suggestions? And, do I make snips on either side of the B-pillars to let the fabric fit? I'm sure I'll have other questions.

Here is a good thread by Wolf. Thankfully he hosted his pictures on Photobucket. After the site got hacked two years or so ago, the photos hosted on the site for the posts were lost.

https://forums.6-pack.org/the-6-pack...ruction-a-to-z

Maybe this will help

https://forums.6-pack.org/the-6-pack...-wrinkles-sags

I've been talking about doing my hardtop for 5 years now........
    Last edited by skootch13; 01-01-2021, 11:03 AM.
    1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

A little progress today.

Comment

I've never done a hardtop but I work with contact cement all the time making interior panel kits where you basically get one shot at aligning pieces so here's the tip that looks like it should work. After you apply contact cement to the upside down hardtop and it's flashed so it's "dry" to the touch..... lay down long pieces of wax paper that over hang the sides. Now when you spray the fabric with contact cement and let it flash, you can lay the fabric on the wax paper and get everything positioned to your liking..... and just carefully slide the wax paper out a little at a time as you smooth the fabric. This is actually and old cabinet making tip for doing Formica back in the olden days.
        1975 Mimosa with a few upgrades/mods:
        Patton TBI
        HVDA Toyota 5 speed
        Goodparts Nissan Diff
        Goodparts CVJs
        AAW Wire Harness
        Miata Seats
        Boyd Welding Custom 15 gallon aluminum gas tank

Comment

Dont get too stressed about the wrinkles in the headliner between the B pillars and the rear window. When I did mine I gently hit them from a distance with low heat from a heat gun or blow drier and they tightened right up and went away.
          '72 TR6 CC81636UO

Comment

The main problem I’m struggling with is getting the flaps to align properly with the C pillars. It seems the flaps are angled to far temporally, or away from center and I can’t figure out to get them follow the contour of the C pillar. I read on a post online that someone had a similar issue and had to essentially cut and repaste the flaps.

is this what I need to do or is there something amiss with my headliner pattern?

Comment

I followed the write up Wolf posted years ago and it turned out great. I remember I had a gazillion fold backclips and kept re-aligning things before it fit to my liking and the first drop of glue was placed.

Time and patience is needed when doing upholstery work!

https://forums.6-pack.org/the-6-pack...ruction-a-to-z

'72 TR6 CC81636UO

Comment

Just about finished. Got headliner, trim, glass in and weatherstripping. Few wrinkles in the corners coming out with a bit of heat blower. One question- is the window stripping supposed to come all the way to the front rubber over windshield or is it to meet the front fuzzy strip ? I have a small gap.

Comment

• oppositelocksmith
                  oppositelocksmith commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One note here, I see the distance piece (top hat piece) under the header rubber seal. It does not go under the seal. Refer to Wolf’s pic below.

Originally posted by Sandcruiser View Post
                . One question- is the window stripping supposed to come all the way to the front rubber over windshield or is it to meet the front fuzzy strip ? I have a small gap.

Normally, to keep the rain out, you'd want the weather seal to be continuous. Think of how the wind and rain would travel when you're at speed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	106.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	539017

Cheers,
                Wolf

76 TR6 CF58170UO (The Lady)
                72 TR6 CC80068UO (The Slut)
                68 TR250 CD4893L (retirement project)

Comment

I followed your post and referred to it so many times, thank you. I have enough window stripping to move it forward though not enough to cover the entire front. What is the the fuzzy strip fit and does the window striping go on top of the fuzzy strip?

Comment

My "fuzzy strip" and weather stripping came as a one piece unit. If you are limited on the amount you have, I'd place at least 6 or 8 inches of the rubber weather strip behind the edges of the main front seal. That way, there should be enough to deflect any rain in most conditions.

Cheers,
                    Wolf
                    76 TR6 CF58170UO (The Lady)
                    72 TR6 CC80068UO (The Slut)
                    68 TR250 CD4893L (retirement project)

Comment

Like this Wolf?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Wolf76STL
                        Wolf76STL commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, that should at least keep the rain out.
                        Cheers

Should the gasket and felt go across the center so it looks good when installed?
                      1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

• Wolf76STL
                        Wolf76STL commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, but I believe he said he didn't have enough material

Those were the pieces that came in my kit from TRF. I guess I could get one more piece to place across the front if that’s what’s typically done.

Comment

Another question about installing the hardtop. My windshield chrome piece has holes for the hardtop spacers. There are no corresponding holes on the inside trim. I can feel indentations through the vinyl trim. Am I supposed to create my own holes in the trim so the bolts can screw into the hardtop spacers?
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Wolf76STL
                          Wolf76STL commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, you'll need to fasten the hardtop through the top windscreen frame

Hardtop Headliner Installation

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,272   Posts: 488,014   Members: 13,083   Active Members: 614
                      Welcome to our newest member, oceviliy.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X