SU carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SU carbs

Need a little help. I have a 1970 tr 6 ...which has been lightly modified and upgraded under the hood. My choke cable needs to be replaced. I have SU carbs. Which cable do I use. The solid one or the flexible one. According to the books and on line info. ....its the flexible one. The concern I have is the cable one took off is the solid one. I did read that if you have a return spring you can use the flexible one. Would like some feedback and some guidance. Thanks Mike

If you have "choke" return springs on those carbs, you'll probably want the multistrand choke cable...It would have the twist and lock feature on the knob where as the solid wire does not...You might need that locking feature with return springs on the 'choke'.
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I will check it out in the morning.

Comment

Interesting. I have a "76" with SU's and use only one choke cable connected to only one SU carb. Never a problem starting it and choke is shut down immediately after starting and I drive away.

Comment

Even if the carbs presently use separate cables for the front&rear, you can get the linkage to connect the choke mechanisms (much like the throttle linkage. This requires only 1 cable. It is shown on SU conversion kits in the Moss catalog and should be available from Joe Curto or Burlen.
          Berry

Comment

Thanks again for all the feedback. My carbs only use one cable. It goes to the far carb. I just ordered the solid cable and now have both. Will take a go at it this weekend and this which one works the best. Does anyone know where you can purchase the locking blot nut at the end of the cable. The one they sent me...is to large for the hole. There is not much room to drill a larger hole. Any ideas? Thanks

Comment

• SapphireBlue72
              SapphireBlue72 commented
              Editing a comment
              Check The Roadster Factory website. They usually have offerings of correct hardware.

a choke cable for a TR4 is a single cable.I have a new one that cam with a new set of SU's set in a box

Comment

Help again..................still dealing with my SU carbs......................... Tried to set the gas mixture....TR 6 1970 stills runs rough and misses. With NEW plugs after about 4 minutes of run time.....they turn black and its fouls out. I tired three different types of plugs....several gaps....have new gas... new air filters....new choke cable and tried to set the mixture more lean.....does anyone have any suggestions....weather is finally great and I would like to be on the road. HELP Thanks Mike K I set the idle.

Comment

When you wrote "tried to set the mixture more lean"....describe what you tried.
                Driving a 1973 TR6
                Doing ZS carb repairs
                email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

I have the SU carbs so they have the nut on the bottom of the carb .....I turned it to tighten it three flats....tried one, then two and stayed with three.

Comment

Check that the (13) nuts (1/2 inch & 9/16th") that secure both manifolds to the engine are torqued sufficiently.
                    If some are loose, it could allow in air that would affect the mixture.
                    Walt
                    CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
                    poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

• tr6happyguy
                      tr6happyguy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for a new idea.....I will investigate......

SU carbs

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,510   Posts: 490,163   Members: 20,407   Active Members: 5,518
                  Welcome to our newest member, Sibur-Naradraina.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X