New radiator overflow tube prep and installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New radiator overflow tube prep and installation

When I bought my car, it had no radiator overflow bottle installed. I have a new bracket/bottle/tube assembly ready and was told i need to heat the tube to get it to fit over the nipple of the radiator. Do I stick the radiator end of the tubing in boiling water for a minute, or what? I don't want to ruin it and have to order another tube. Anyone's experience in doing this would be super helpful!

Thanks
    Ryan
    Last edited by blue_bruiser; 09-13-2020, 12:34 PM.

They would likely work, but I think a hair dryer would be simpler.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by blue_bruiser View Post
      When I bought my car, it had no radiator overflow bottle installed. I have a new bracket/bottle/tube assembly ready and was told i need to heat the tube to get it to fit over the nipple of the radiator. Do I stick the radiator end of the tubing in boiling water for a minute, or what? I don't want to ruin it and have to order another tube. Anyone's experience in doing this would be super helpful!

Thanks
      Ryan
      I like the hot water approach, gradually increasing temp of water and immersing end of tube for a minute or so, until it becomes pliable. A pair of long nosed pliers inserted into the tube once soft, can help achieve the proper ID for placement over the radiator nipple. As the tube cools, it should contract and fit snugly.

Comment

If you use the heat gun approach, it will bend quickly- if you let it heat for too long, it will melt & shrink.

A hair dryer on low setting would be safer. Less heat is better than more heat.
        Walt
        CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
        poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'd like to tackle this today. I don't have a heat gun, but i do have a hair dryer. I like the boiling water adding the needle nose pliers idea - might try it first. My kitchen is upstairs and my car is downstairs so I will have to think this out!

Comment

Originally posted by blue_bruiser View Post
            Thanks for all the replies so far. I'd like to tackle this today. I don't have a heat gun, but i do have a hair dryer. I like the boiling water adding the needle nose pliers idea - might try it first. My kitchen is upstairs and my car is downstairs so I will have to think this out!
            Take the pan of hot water down with you?

Dick

Comment

Or take the hair dryer down.

Ed

Comment

Mine was tight and I just forced it on. I like the hairdryer idea though.
                Jack
                1973 TR6, "Ethyl"
                CF56U

Comment

I've noticed in a lot of engine bay photos that many people use a short length of rubber hose to connect the radiator overflow nipple to the rigid plastic tube that goes to the bottle. This makes it easier to remove on the rare occasions that you need be working in that area. I don't think it negatively affects the function in any way. Just $.02 worth!
                  1976 Pimento/Light Tan
                  VTO alloy "Minilites"
                  Dolly Parton's removed
                  GoodParts Nissan Diff and CV axles
                  Carbs by Poolboy
                  Suffolk seats

Comment

One trifle that always irritated me about the overflow on my car was the seemingly haphazard angle of the overflow nipple on the filler neck. It made the route of the tubing look untidy to me.

It was a simple and easy fix.

Ed

Comment

Now THAT looks clean.

Mine looks like an albino snake is trying to climb out of the filler bottle while touching the hood.
                      Jack
                      1973 TR6, "Ethyl"
                      CF56U

Comment

Originally posted by ed_h View Post
                        One trifle that always irritated me about the overflow on my car was the seemingly haphazard angle of the overflow nipple on the filler neck. It made the route of the tubing look untidy to me.

It was a simple and easy fix.

Ed

Ed.. Excellent job, as always. Where did you get the hose clamps ? Really nice. But, knowing you, may have been of your own design ?

Comment

Originally posted by JIMCRAWL View Post

Ed.. Excellent job, as always. Where did you get the hose clamps ? Really nice. But, knowing you, may have been of your own design ?
                          Hi, Jim. If you mean that little clip on the right side, yes, that's home made. The little elbow is just made from some soldered copper tube fitted over the nipple on the filler, and the whole thing encased in heat shrink--the kind that had hot melt glue inside.

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by ed_h View Post

Hi, Jim. If you mean that little clip on the right side, yes, that's home made. The little elbow is just made from some soldered copper tube fitted over the nipple on the filler, and the whole thing encased in heat shrink--the kind that had hot melt glue inside.

Ed
                            Ed.. I should have been clearer.. I was really referring to the radiator/thermostat housing hose clamps shown in the pic.

Comment

• SapphireBlue72
                              SapphireBlue72 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Those are called 'lined' hose clamps. There is a solid strip of stainless steel, rather than the perforated type.
                              They are recommended for use on fuel injection hoses, as the other type can leak under pressure.
                              It's probably not necessary on a coolant hose, but a premium (& costlier item).

To learn more about clamps, check into the idealtridon.com website.
                              I recently purchased some lined fuel hose clamps at Advanced Auto. They are a very good quality product.

• ed_h
                              ed_h commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That's right. They are a bit of overkill for this applicaction, but I like that they don't extrude the rubber through perforations in the band.

Hi everyone, thanks for all of your suggestions and comments!! I ended up using the hairdryer + needle nose pliers-inserted approach and it worked great! Took a couple minutes of heating on hot/high while rotating the pipe and pushing and twisting the pliers into the pipe about every 30 seconds, then I tried to fit it over the rad overflow nipple. Worked the second time. The Bentley says to insert the tube into the bottle 3/8" from the bottom, but doesn't say what level the coolant should be in the bottle. Would 1/2 full be OK assuming the radiator is full?

Comment

New radiator overflow tube prep and installation

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,093   Posts: 485,818   Members: 11,427   Active Members: 807
                            Welcome to our newest member, Sivertemise.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X