Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfection is the enemy of good enough...

The head of the Soviet Navy once said 'Perfection is the enemy of good enough..' Someone else probably said it too, but it applies here. They also had meltdowns on their subs....

I've owned my car for a little over 30 years now. In '96, I did a major mechanical overhaul to compliment the initial restoration that I started with. This included a majority of the mods in the Kastner manual with a goal of making my car an autocross car. While I completed most of the changes, some errors at the machine shop and a lack of funds in my early 20's prevented me from going all the way. My car however was really great, and I've enjoyed it all this time!

Fast forward to now. I've got the time and a couple more $$'s. I sourced a set of triple Webers (one of my always missing pieces) and have started the process of restoring them to perfect (DCOE 40 18's and a Cannon intake manifold). My plan was to rebuild the Webers, pull the head and have the compression raised (and fix any issues found in the head like worn guides, etc) and then start the process of tuning the Webers to my already installed TS2 camshaft.

Unfortunately, While the head came off/apart without drama and appears to be in great shape, I found the following:

- Several Tappets are absolutely wiped, and cam is too (of course). --- Some of the worst tappets I've seen in a while!
    - Pistons do not look terrible, but I've pulled all and will be taking to my machine shop for a look. Piston slap might be their downfall
    - Cylinders 1,2,3,4 & 6 look great. #5 has a long dark mark in it that looks like a carbon mark

Good things found-
    - Bearings and journals all look great, oil pressure has continued to be good. Will mic them, and replace as a matter of course since the engine is open.
    - I'm hoping to hone the cylinders lightly and then mic them to see if I can re-ring them, or piston and ring them. If not, then it will get bored to .040 over.
    - No issues with the oil pump or any other system found so far.
    - Found the likely culprit/source of an oil leak I've been chasing- loose oil pan bolts on the passenger side
    - Found the source of the stronger than normal exhaust fumes in the cockpit - loose fastener on the last stud #6 cylinder.

Frankly the car ran great. It was very fun to drive, but in my search for perfection, I opened a up a mess. Truth be told, I may have prevented a catastrophic failure, so this work is likely a very good thing to be doing now.

I've not built a large engine in a while. Should be fun.

Oh, and I have to say a huge thank you to all the 6-Pack members who have endured my texts and phone calls over the past two weeks as I dug into this. Friends like y'all are one of the many things that make this club great.
    Last edited by oppositelocksmith; 07-20-2020, 10:54 PM.
    1973 TR6 – BRG with beige interior, custom LED lighting
    Hardtop, OD, Rollbar, 15”Koenigs
    Bored, balanced and polished motor with PI cam, hi-comp head, triple DCOE's
    Header, custom exhaust, custom alternator, e-fan
    Lowered, poly suspension, Konis and rear anti roll-bar
    www.coventrysfinest.blogspot.com

Very cool. Keep us in the loop, Jeremy.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Jeremy, I have subscribed to this thread in hopes you will bring us along on your undertaking. Just as you, I am leaning on others in the group to share their wisdom so that I might tear into the engine hoping to avoid a catastrophe.
      Best of luck!
      "Fiona"
      '76 TR6
      CF52363 U
      J Type overdrive added

Comment

Speaking from experience you are very lucky. Unfortunately for me It was not the case:

I am still dealing with getting the new engine right as I have not been able to dedicate any serious time on my car until now.

https://forums.6-pack.org/the-6-pack...blew-my-engine

Attached Files

Comment

Which one of us will get our car back on the road first?
          Pete, Collierville TN
          1976 CF54385 U
          A rolling resto in progress...

Comment

I'm not even sure what the Russian meant by that Jeremy....you sure it wasn't Sean Connery in "......Red October" ?
            I was raised and educated in Cathloic schools until college and preached to 'strive for perfection'..unobtainable as it was, you should still try, it was said....and I do on some things (less as I 'mature') until reality and practicality sets in and I put the OCD back in it's place.... OK...I guess that's enough 'poolboy philosophy'...
            Back to the TR6 engine....yep, they can still run fairly well all tore up inside. I couldn't figure out that these were what was making noise. Frustrated and anxious I was determined to just break the engine . I went over 100 mph thinking that should do it....but it was like a Timex watch....still .ticking albeit a little louder thn a watch.
            Finally I could no longer stand the suspense....found this:
            https://forums.6-pack.org/the-6-pack...-complications
            Anyway, Good Luck, Jeremy; I'm sure you'll enjoy the process and have a great engine when you're done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	spring bind 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.8 KB ID:	534166
            Last edited by poolboy; 07-22-2020, 12:23 PM.
            Driving a 1973 TR6
            Doing ZS carb repairs
            email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

• oppositelocksmith
              oppositelocksmith commented
              Editing a comment
              So are those tappets or worn out ball peen hammers!!! Wow.

Thanks all. Fun challenge ahead.

Pete, I'm betting on you!

Ken, I'm with ya. Always driving towards to perfection. However, on a lot of things, I find I get them working just fine, then decide I think i can make them a little better and mess them up in the process. - That paint is not shiny enough for me? Let's wet sand and buff, and that's just about the time I buff through to primer! 😆

I think your tappets beat mine. Some are perfect, some trash.. Pics below.

I also started micing cylinders last night and so far the actually look good..

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200718_131538.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	534169

Comment

UPS man dropped off a box of shiny bits today. Just need to build an engine to hang them from!

I had these vapor blasted at RestoCycle in Tuscon. Very nice work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200722_164453.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	534189Click image for larger version

Name:	20200722_164447.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	534190Click image for larger version

Name:	20200722_164440.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	534191

Comment

Mmmmmm, shiny. I like.
                Be sure to blow out all openings with the pressure set as high as it will go.

Cheers,
                Kevin
                76 TR6 CF58170UO (The Lady)
                72 TR6 CC80068UO (The Slut)
                68 TR250 CD4893L (retirement project)

Comment

Thanks to some significant help from Prasnick today (absolutely could not have done it without him) we pulled the engine and transmission.

I pulled the cam yesterday with everything in the car and realized how much fun putting it all back together in the car as going to be (insert sarcasm!).

Building the engine on a stand just feels so much better.

Found a couple surprises.
                  - My transmission is leaking and it got in the cabin and on the carpet. Lots of cleaning on that so far..
                  - When I built the engine, I did not use a sealing washer on the infamous rear seal plate. It was definitely leaking.

More good news
                  - The Rod and Main journals are perfect.
                  - Thrust washers I installed a few years ago give a measure of just under 6 thou.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200726_141351.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	534251Click image for larger version  Name:	20200726_141346.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.56 MB ID:	534252Click image for larger version  Name:	20200726_141401.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.02 MB ID:	534253

Comment

Now that’s what Clubs are all about! Great to have a helping hand.

Cheers
                    Tush
                    81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
                    73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
                    62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
                    60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Originally posted by oppositelocksmith View Post
                      Thanks to some significant help from Prasnick today (absolutely could not have done it without him) we pulled the engine and transmission.

I pulled the cam yesterday with everything in the car and realized how much fun putting it all back together in the car as going to be (insert sarcasm!).

Building the engine on a stand just feels so much better.

Found a couple surprises.
                      - My transmission is leaking and it got in the cabin and on the carpet. Lots of cleaning on that so far..
                      - When I built the engine, I did not use a sealing washer on the infamous rear seal plate. It was definitely leaking.

More good news
                      - The Rod and Main journals are perfect.
                      - Thrust washers I installed a few years ago give a measure of just under 6 thou.

Click image for larger version Name:	20200726_141351.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	534251Click image for larger version Name:	20200726_141346.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.56 MB ID:	534252Click image for larger version Name:	20200726_141401.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.02 MB ID:	534253
                      The sweat and grease stains on my shirt tell the story It was a blast! Can't wait to get both of our cars back on the road!
                      Pete, Collierville TN
                      1976 CF54385 U
                      A rolling resto in progress...

Comment

Nice to meet you pete
                        phil

Comment

One more step forward, another club member to the rescue.

The search for a machinist has been beyond difficult. All those in the area have leadtimes that quite literally would put my car back on the road in 2021 if not mid 2021.

Conveniently, my dad (who is also a 6-pack member!) has a shop local to him that he has worked with. We dropped my block, crank, head and rods off with the shop today. Will hopefully get dims for parts Monday and they should get the assemblies worked over some time near Labor Day.
                          Last edited by oppositelocksmith; 08-04-2020, 11:58 AM.

Comment

A little more progress forward this morning came with a call from the machine shop.

He said that we could likely get away with a honing in the cylinder bores, but with the intent I had for the engine, I probably should go ahead and bore it one size up. So that is what I'm going forward up- It will now be .040 over.

The crank measured out in great shape with no scratches or scoring. It will only get a light polishing (and new rod/main bearings)

With all that said, I'm having them polish the crank, cut the head for the right value to raise the compression and install new valve guides, tank the block and bore it. I'm then having them polish the crank, match the pistons/rods and balance it out. ETA right now is somewhere around labor day.

Comment

• poolboy
                              poolboy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You still planning on sticking with that S2, Jeremy ?

• oppositelocksmith
                              oppositelocksmith commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Good question, and one I have to finalize my answer to soon. I know I'm not going back with the S2. Some of the lugs on my current S2 are so gone, it cannot even be reground, and I'm not going to buy another S2 either. I will say that I liked that cam in the car, but I'm not sure its right for this build.

I have narrowed down to a few cams that I'm looking at based on results I've seen from other cars. Just need to make up my mind and pull the trigger.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough...

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,338   Posts: 488,573   Members: 13,708   Active Members: 652
                          Welcome to our newest member, Danieltuh.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X