Carb leaking fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb leaking fuel

I did a bunch of forum-searching, and read up on some posts with something similar to my specific issue, but found nothing I could see exactly on point.

Car is running pretty well right now. Every once in a while, when starting from cold with the choke on, my rear carb will drip fuel. It is dripping off the bottom of the carb but I cannot see exactly where it is coming from. After the car starts and I smell the fuel I shut it down. If I restart the car without the choke, after waiting a few minutes, no fuel leaks.

I've checked the fuel lines and don't see anything glaring.

Thoughts?
    Jack
    1973 TR6, "Ethyl"
    CF56U

Some leaks are due to a failed seal where gravity takes over and a drip occurs. Some leaks are due to a failed or malfunctioning component that causes a chamber or compartment of the carb to over fill with gasoline and spill over or get pumped out by fuel pressure.
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Well let’s start with what year car is it? I bet it’s a 73 with the goofy red vent nipple Ken likes to post about and a sticking float valve. Well it’s not red in real life, just in his picture for effect.

You really need to figure out where it’s coming from, it all runs to the bottom and drips from there. Dry and clean the carb off, dab it or spray it with talcum or foot power. Run it and see where the powder is gone from after the drip as high on the carb as you can find.
      Last edited by lfmTR4; 06-26-2020, 10:15 PM.
      72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

1973. I’m going to try to identify the leak tomorrow.

Definitely choke related as it never leaks unless the choke is used.
        Last edited by a4passata6; 06-27-2020, 01:51 AM.
        Jack
        1973 TR6, "Ethyl"
        CF56U

Comment

Looks like the rubber fuel line between the carbs is leaking. What size rubber tubing is that line?
          Jack
          1973 TR6, "Ethyl"
          CF56U

Comment

You might check the bottom of the bowl on both carbs. It could be the o-ring need to be replaced.
            https://mossmotors.com/plug-seal-flo...er?assoc=81861

If it's the fuel line, it is typically 5/16"
            1972 TR6 Jasmine Yellow CC79030U
            Purchased in 1973, 3rd owner
            Restored 2009

Comment

My recollection is that the fuel line ID is ¼" on the outlet side of the fuel pump - and where rubber line is used, it is also ¼" ID. Make sure you get hose that is ethanol-resistant; Moss sells it by the foot, I'm sure you can also source it at FLAPS.
              1976 TR-6 BRG - CF57239U
              Carbs by Poolboy
              Rear Camber Kit, Rear Hubs by Goodparts
              Gear Reduction Starter by TSI
              Distributor by British Vacuum

Comment

Originally posted by bartman View Post
                My recollection is that the fuel line ID is ¼" on the outlet side of the fuel pump - and where rubber line is used, it is also ¼" ID. Make sure you get hose that is ethanol-resistant; Moss sells it by the foot, I'm sure you can also source it at FLAPS.
                Thank you!
                Jack
                1973 TR6, "Ethyl"
                CF56U

Comment

Originally posted by bartman View Post
                  Make sure fuel line is rated for continuous fuel contact, not fuel vapors like emission hose. I believe GATES makes a quality fuel line (NFI) if you can find it..

Comment

Originally posted by JIMCRAWL View Post

Make sure fuel line is rated for continuous fuel contact, not fuel vapors like emission hose. I believe GATES makes a quality fuel line (NFI) if you can find it..
                    I’m going to get Gates Barricade 1/4” line. It’s like $3 a foot.
                    Jack
                    1973 TR6, "Ethyl"
                    CF56U

Comment

New hoses on and carbs are bone dry. The bottom on the hose between the two carbs was cracked and brittle.
                      Jack
                      1973 TR6, "Ethyl"
                      CF56U

Comment

Keep an eye on that Barricade hose.

Ii believe one user (tr6easyrider) had breakdown problems with it years back.

Maybe they got it together by now.

Congrats on tracking it down!
                        '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
                        Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
                        Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
                        Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
                        Redlines always.
                        My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

Originally posted by tr6harris View Post
                          Keep an eye on that Barricade hose.

Ii believe one user (tr6easyrider) had breakdown problems with it years back.

Maybe they got it together by now.

Congrats on tracking it down!
                          OK. Will do.
                          Jack
                          1973 TR6, "Ethyl"
                          CF56U

Comment

It's not a bad idea to add a fuel cutoff switch before the carbs.

After a drive you can close the cutoff and let your carburetors run dry. Thus, no ethanol eating at the diaphragms or rubber parts.

Cost of the fuel cutoff switch from a lawn tractor supply store or Walmart: $5-8. Plus four hose clamps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1242.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	533469
                            Walt
                            CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
                            poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

Originally posted by SapphireBlue72 View Post
                              It's not a bad idea to add a fuel cutoff switch before the carbs.

After a drive you can close the cutoff and let your carburetors run dry. Thus, no ethanol eating at the diaphragms or rubber parts.

Cost of the fuel cutoff switch from a lawn tractor supply store or Walmart: $5-8. Plus four hose clamps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1242.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	533469
                              Not a bad idea. I’m running ethanol free fuel. Who knows though how long that will be available.
                              Jack
                              1973 TR6, "Ethyl"
                              CF56U

Comment

Carb leaking fuel

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,943   Posts: 484,091   Members: 9,357   Active Members: 623
                              Welcome to our newest member, KsSasRrbugs.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X