Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Time

Hello All!

I'm sure this has been discuss a lot but I need to ask again based on currently available tires. I'm looking to get some new running shoes for my 1969 TR6 with wire wheels. So I'm looking for recommendations on 205/70 R15 size tires and preferences on radial innertubes. I looked at tirerack.com and only like two tires popped up. So I think I'll need to call them and ask them if they can get a specific tire.

I'm not to concerned with tread wear since these tires will not be on a primary daily driver. I do want to have great cornering since the drives we go on are usually pretty curvy

So let me know what works good for you and your TR.

Thanks!!!
    Curt

With a 215 wide tire the outer edges of the that tire will not contribute to ground contact.

The TR6 was engineered for 165 to 185 tires for maximum adhesion.
    Common thought is that the wider the tire the better the grip.
    TRregister (UK) TR6 forum has multiple threads presenting the facts on tire width for TR6. Most find the best grip around 185.

I ran 205's on my wire wheels on the TR250 (came on the car) and handling was sloppy compared to the precise handling on my 185 tires on my TR4.

If it's an aggressive LOOK you want, go for it.
    Walt
    CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
    poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

• JCDonahue
      JCDonahue commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Walt!! That is very interesting... I would have agreed with the 'common thought' that a slightly wider tire would give better grip. I'll go check out some of the threads on the TRegister forum. Thanks for that input!!

If you are considering wider tires, you have to address the wheel width and diameter. There is tire side wall deflection also. No you should not just put any wide tire on the stock wheel and expect a better handling car. There are a number of factors to consider.
    Best Therapy
    http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
    Zoom Zoom

Comment

Consider also the speedometer error you will introduce if you get a tire with a different circumference than the original 185-15s were about an 80 profile (I think it was 79 to be exact), with a circumference of 83.28 inches. 205-70s have a circumference of 82.62 inches, for an error of less than 1% in the speedometer.

Attached Files
      1976 TR-6 BRG - CF57239U
      Carbs by Poolboy
      Rear Camber Kit, Rear Hubs by Goodparts
      Gear Reduction Starter by TSI
      Distributor by British Vacuum

Comment

Vredenstein and Universal make modern tires in the correct obsolete size.

Comment

So do Michelin and Pirelli although they are much more expensive. I’ve got the Vredesteins on my wire wheels and while they may not be up to the level of the Michelin XVS I used back in they day, they work quite well. And to me, the original 185VR15 size just looks right.
          ‘70 TR-6

Comment

I don't dispute that 185 is a better size, but lacking the cash for a set of Michelin XVS I got the Yokohama Avids in 205/70-15. Handling is maybe a little sluggish, but they're comfortable and grippy tires. A reasonable option that's fairly easy to find (I got them at Discount Tire). Not sure about how they work inner tubes though, if you need those for the wire wheels.
            Bill Connell
            1969 TR6 CC28790
            TR6 project log
            St. Paul MN

Comment

I put a set of Yokohama Avid Ascend 205/70 R15 on my car. They were about $75 each. Speedo error is almost zero. I like the performance. IMHO, I wouldn't go any wider. Steering gets harder, and I think the car looks more nimble (and probably is) with narrower tires (excuse me, tyres) on it. Cheers!
              1976 Pimento/black
              VTO alloy "Minilites"
              Dolly Parton's removed
              GoodParts Nissan Diff and CV axles
              Carbs by Poolboy

Comment

• bartman
                bartman commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 on the Yoko 205-70s. 6 Years now and no complaints.

Coker has a very nice 185 redline for about $200 each. Pricey but a nice period correct tire.

Gordon

Comment

Tire Time

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,943   Posts: 484,091   Members: 9,356   Active Members: 622
              Welcome to our newest member, Nathanvom.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X