Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Linkage Sticking

Good evening,

While I don't have many posts here, I do have an issue with my 1974 Triumph TR6 for which I am looking for advice.

Specifically: I attempted to take the ole' girl out for a spin this weekend, and upon starting her up, she revved very high before I turned her off. I checked the linkage and noticed that the throttle assembly is sticking.

My question relates to how to handle this. Does this type of issue simply warrant a dose of brake cleaner followed by some type of lubrication? If so, what type of lubrication? If not, what is the simplest way to free up the linkage from sticking?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

dwr

If you are talking about the throttle linkage, the bits that connect the throttle to the accelerator shaft, then Bob Danielson has a great “how to” on his site, http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/CarbLinkage.htm Use this to walk you through a little refresh of all the spots that can get sloppy and cause sticking.

If you are referring to the accelerator shaft, the rod that connects to the pedal then crosses the engine bay up near the firewall, the check out this page at Buckeye Triumphs https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...t+Bearings.pdf

Neither of the operations described are overly complex, but they are a little more involved than squirting some brake cleaner followed by lube. That approach won’t fix the 50 years worth of wear that is likely the underlying cause of your issue.

The 2 sites I’ve referred you to are fantastic resources for the whole TR6 community and I want to thank their authors for keeping them up and running for all of us to use. Thanks guys.
    ‘70 TR-6

Comment

Hi Neddie, long time no hear. Hope you are well.

+1 on Bobby D’s write up. Art Lipp sells some Delrin bushings for the accelerator shaft that are easy to fit, used them on my car 10 years ago.They are listed in one of Bobby’s article with Art’s contact info
      Last edited by lfmTR4; 05-18-2020, 07:49 AM.
      72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

• Neddie Seagoon
        Neddie Seagoon commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Lou, unless you count cabin fever, we’re all fine. Actually getting to like this work from home lark and being able to have lunch with my wife every day. Stay safe.

Make sure it's not an obstruction, such as the tail end of the choke cable.
      Driving a 1973 TR6
      Doing ZS carb repairs
      email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I am heading to see if I can get more specific by recording a clip of it. I will absolutely check those resources prior to brush up.

Comment

Here's another write up I did on sticky linkage http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/ControlRod.htm
          1975 Mimosa with a few upgrades/mods:
          Patton TBI
          HVDA Toyota 5 speed
          Goodparts Nissan Diff
          Goodparts CVJs
          AAW Wire Harness
          Miata Seats
          Boyd Welding Custom 15 gallon aluminum gas tank

Comment

You can also try replacing the throttle linkage with this:

https://www.sites.google.com/site/to...le-linkage-kit

Comment

I think most of the linkages are very worn out and sloppy by now. I rebushed the triangular piece with a bronze bushing to ensure no slop between it and the main piece. Cleaning the ball joints and greasing are also a must do.

One must also ensure that it is adjusted by the book. One problem without adjusting correctly is you may not get WOT when the loud pedal is pushed to the floor. A stick is helpful to mash the gas to the floor and visually check both carbs are rotating to full open by ensuring they hit the stops.

Gordon

Comment

As promised, here is a video of the linkage. Thoughts?

Last edited by Sizzource; 05-19-2020, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Was that the full range of movement starting from idle to....I was going to say Wide Open Throttle (WOT), but I can see that the front carb didn't make it to WOT ?
                  Did you intentionally stop short of WOT ?
                  Driving a 1973 TR6
                  Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

It was idle to just before WOT. It will go to full WOT if needed. But as you can see, there is a very very short lag as I’m opening it. It seems that something is gummed up. But I can’t find where.

Comment

There is a lot of slop in that linkage. Things are moving in directions that they shouldn’t be, particularly the lever arm that rides on the carburetor shafts. Undo the couplings and see if you can’t tighten up the lever connection.
                      Rebushing the bell crank pivot would also help. That's not a shade tree mechanic job, but if you have access to a drill press then you can do it yourself.
                      I suggest you go through Bobby D’s cleanup procedure as a first step. Check everything for wear, particularly the ball joints. When I rebuilt mine the balls were worn out, I bought replacement ball and socket joints from McMaster and used the new ball sections in the old sockets.
                      Yeah, spray some brake cleaner and squirt some grease is not going to fix this, you’ve got some worn out connections in there.
                      ‘70 TR-6

Comment

The injected cars have a cable operated throttle.

Comment

There's a paragraph or two near the end of the "Fuel System" Chapters in both Bentley and Haynes specifying adjustments and measurements to the linkage.
                          If you haven't yet check it out and see what you have.
                          Driving a 1973 TR6
                          Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

Understood - this seems like it might be above my head to even attempt, so I am going to gently and carefully drive her to a shop for inspection. Anyone have recommendations for Texas? Specifically in the northern Fort Worth area for shops?

Comment

Throttle Linkage Sticking

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,848   Posts: 483,207   Members: 8,808   Active Members: 532
                            Welcome to our newest member, Matthewslith.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
                            X