No announcement yet.

Rear End overhaul Where to start, what to use 74 TR6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a close look inside and inspect the gear surfaces. Pic below is what I found in mine with pitting. Never found any metal chips in the oil so could have been previous owner as I only drained and refilled still mounted many urs ago. I just got mine back from John Esposito Quantum Mechanics after he rebuilt it. He replaced all the bearings and dish washers and front seal. About $1k of parts and labor.
    MRankin
    71 TR6 CC61212L

Comment

• Kingcat
      Kingcat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thaanks for the great pics. Gives me a good idea for what to look for.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering what I should use to clean it out? Iimagine something that cleans well but doesn't leave a residue.

Comment

• SapphireBlue72
      SapphireBlue72 commented
      Editing a comment
      If it isn't gummed up, just let it drain until it looks clean. Then wipe surfaces with a clean rag or paper towel.

Use scotch-brite pad to clean the mating surfaces, rather than scratching them with sandpaper.

If it is gummy, then a spray can of starting fluid is cheap, effective, leaves no residue.
      I use it when rebuilding chain saws/carburetors- does a good job cleaning.
      Last edited by SapphireBlue72; 07-06-2021, 06:52 AM.

• frostr6
      frostr6 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, if it's fairly clean inside draining the old oil is enough. If it's sludgy, probably worth a cleaning. I often use Brakleen for stuff like this, it has a strong spray and a mix of solvents that seems to cut through about anything. Whatever you use, I'd make sure to dry it thoroughly before refilling (assuming it looks good).

Kerosene is a good choice for cleaning out the oil in the diff. Make sure it is thoroughly drained before filling it with oil again and that the wash is disposed of properly.

Comment

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm sending the axles off to Phil to have the bearing and seal replaced. Then I'll open it up for inspection.
      Last edited by Kingcat; 07-18-2021, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Rear End overhaul Where to start, what to use 74 TR6

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,679   Posts: 491,630   Members: 40,672   Active Members: 6,191
      Welcome to our newest member, AlbertDum.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
      X