Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Bay Restoration

Hi All,

I thought that especially during this time of quarantine we could use some extra entertainment so I did a video on how well, or not, oven cleaner works as an engine bay cleaner. I’m not endorsing it’s use just thought I would try it as a cleaner on my engine bay because it is in bad shape and needs to be painted anyway. Also, The engine itself is out so now is the perfect time to paint the bay. I will plan on updating as I go but this will likely be a slower project than most just because I’ll be limited to weekends and doing a lot of learning as I go. I will entrust your help along the way and my local Napa Store because they have a separate paint section and the guys seem pretty good.

Hope you enjoy the videos.

https://youtu.be/TGKfZT-gYQg

https://youtu.be/I_pj8L2U-VE
    1972. J Type Overdrive
    Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
    RG Hubs. Poly Bushings
    RG Trailing Arm Brackets. Fidanza 9Ib Flywheel
    Addco Rear Sway Bar. Gear Reduction Starter

Interesting results.
    I remembered when oven cleaner used to contain lye (sodium hydroxide) which is pretty caustic stuff so I looked up EZ-OFF to see if lye was an ingredient.
    https://www.hunker.com/13424142/easy-off-ingredients
    I'll use "Scrubbing Bubbles" every now and then to get into hard to reach places under the bonnet, but I keep a water hose handy for rinsing.
    Last edited by poolboy; 04-11-2020, 10:03 PM.
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Nice job, Soup. I think many if not most oven cleaner products still contain sodium hydroxide (aka lye). Lye is a very good degreaser. Unlike soaps, it chemically reacts with the grease to form compounds soluble in water. Unfortunately, it can do the same with many paints. It's sometimes used as a paint remover.

Ed
      For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

And unfortunately for the user, come product mfg may not disclose product ingredients, claiming they are "proprietary".

Comment

Over the past couple weeks I worked to remove the pedal shaft, washer fluid bracket, pedal box and today the heater core, grinding and some discovery. For those of you that may not know, this project began as part of my engine build which has gone to the back burner while this turns into my worst or maybe I should say toughest “while I’m in there” episode so far 😬. Below is a video of the work to date. As you will see, I will need to invest in a welder and learn how to use it. There are some good reviews on the Harbor Freight Titanium 125. I know this is bottom of the line welder but my budget is really taking a hit so I need to be more cognizant of my spending. This is a learn as I go project and I hope will benefit others. If you see me doing something really odd, just totally wrong or if you just have suggestions, please feel free to share them...I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks all.

https://youtu.be/Eg3LBSr-kgI
          1972. J Type Overdrive
          Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
          RG Hubs. Poly Bushings

Comment

Thanks for the video Soup. Commented there ( and am a loyal subscriber 😉)

Cheers
            Tush
            81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8
            73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
            62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
            60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
            https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Thanks Tush, appreciate the comments. I’m a regular to the Cheftush and the Tush and Les shows too 👍 You do really good work and is inspiring too!
              1972. J Type Overdrive
              Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
              RG Hubs. Poly Bushings

Comment

Jimcrawl, if you like to know what you are spraying on your car or house etc. check out https://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/us/en/, these guys are pretty open with ingredients. The link to Greenlist is pretty interesting. They have a scrubbing bubbles, fanstastic HD for grease that seems to work pretty well though for the car I pretty much stick with Gunk if its still on the car and mineral spirits if its off the car.
                NFI

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Jimcrawl, if you like to know what you are spraying on your car or house etc. check out https://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/us/en/, these guys are pretty open with ingredients. The link to Greenlist is pretty interesting. They have a scrubbing bubbles, fanstastic HD for grease that seems to work pretty well though for the car I pretty much stick with Gunk if its still on the car and mineral spirits if its off the car.
                  NFI
                  Thanks.. From my experience, many of the larger companies tend to be more transparent regarding product ingredients, and also provide better health and safety hazard control guidance via their Material Safety
                  Data Sheets. Degree of product ingredient disclosure tends to run the gamut, with some pretty toxic stuff hiding behind the curtain of proprietary or trade secret designations.

Comment

Here’s the latest. This is snowballing on me and I need to reign myself in real quick. I don’t need this turning into one of those projects that we have all heard about where the guy gets started with great energy and then either losses interest or gets over is head. I’m close to over my head 🤪! I need to keep myself in check and remember I’m definitely building a driver just want the best driver I can afford and build. Hope you enjoy my amateur videos and feel free to call me out. I’m no expert and learning as I go.

https://youtu.be/5JSLvF_h6dw
                    1972. J Type Overdrive
                    Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
                    RG Hubs. Poly Bushings

Comment

Regarding the two extra holes for the w/washer bracket in part 2: When they changed to the wider intake manifold in late 71 or 72 they moved the washer bracket from the three large holes by adding the two small holes and reusing the original large outer hole. The other two large holes were them plugged.
                      R3
                      Jim Herter ͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏ Copperas Cove, TX
                      Original Owner ֍ 1970 TR6 ֎ CC 50990 LO
                      VDU 506H

Comment

• Soup
                        Soup commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, even though I’m the one that removed the bracket, the holes look non factory to me and with the accident damage I was wondering if the body guys were cutting corners somehow.

Here is my latest video update. Making progress just not very fast. At my current pace (weekends only), I’m hoping to have this project done before the end of July. Curious to know what you think the color of the donor car is. I think it’s Laurel Green.

https://youtu.be/7dnDtUQSI60
                      1972. J Type Overdrive
                      Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
                      RG Hubs. Poly Bushings

Comment

Looks good Soup. I have a 2002 Tundra that is in great shape. We use it every summer to crab on Puget Sound. Every time we launch the boat I get my feet in the water and then get back into the truck. After 16 years of that there was quite a bit of hidden rust under the plastic cover on the door sill. I read about different rust treatments and tried KBS Coatings. They have a cleaner, rust remover and sealer I used and it came out great. Probably similar to the Permatex product you used.

Jack
                        1973 TR6, "Ethyl"
                        CF56U

Comment

• Soup
                          Soup commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for the info Jack! Good to know there are options.

Here is a Memorial Day coupon from KBS Coatings. This stuff really flows out well.
                        Thanks,

Mike

72 TR6 - in the process of frame off resto
                        Planned:
                        HDVA conversion with R200
                        RG's CVC axles
                        Miata seats

Comment

• Soup
                          Soup commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Mike. Since I already have the Martiin Senour aka Napa paint I’m gonna keep going with it but I should also buy their prep wash.

I’m still chipping away on my engine bay but I’m doing it by cleaning and painting engine parts at the moment. This is very tedious and time consuming. The engine bay itself hasn’t seen much activity while I take care of this task. I’m also watching Tush’s 250 videos to pick up painting tips. Here’s a couple pictures of most of the painted parts.
                        1972. J Type Overdrive
                        Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
                        RG Hubs. Poly Bushings

Comment

Engine Bay Restoration

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,095   Posts: 485,854   Members: 11,448   Active Members: 779
                        Welcome to our newest member, SndGrd_Wal.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X