Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for help on how to properly adjust the choke fast idle cam on my 72' TR6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for help on how to properly adjust the choke fast idle cam on my 72' TR6

Hello all, could someone let me know the procedure on how to do this for 175 Stromberg's. The engine will start when the choke cable is pulled out but will start to die shortly after. I do push the cable back in a bit after starting but still the engine struggles.
    After the car warm up a bit and I push the cable all the way in the engine runs well.
    Thanks
    1972 TR6 Jasmine Yellow CC79030U
    Purchased in 1973, 3rd owner
    Restored 2009

Poolboy will have some detail on adjusting, if necessary, but frankly, it sounds like its working properly. Has its function changed recently? I've learned alot about the internals recently on how that rotation works - 4 tiny holes line up as they move, allowing 4 layers of fuel into the throttle body. They could be clogged, or you have other issues. But, a cold motor, even after a few minutes probably won't run without some choke and throttle lift from that cam rotation.

share some data on cold start, temp gauge, and when it starts to run well.

Comment

I agree w/the Guvna. It sounds like your choke is operating per all the 6-pot TR's I've had. Full choke to start, followed quickly by pushing it in a bit so it idles better. At this point, there's a bit of "touch" involved where I find slowly pushing in the choke to find the sweet spot for idling. The TR owners manuals all mention that the choke is used for starting and that proper warm up procedure is to start the engine using the choke and then start driving the car right away (i.e. do not let it sit and idle to warm it up). The acutual adjustment mechanism is pretty easy so long as the carbs are set up correctly and operating well. Any of the manual shows how to set the choke up, but even then I wouldn't really call it a situation where tolerances have to be spot on (or even near) for it to accomplish what is supposed to do which is to get the car started on cold days.

Comment

Both the "Bentley" and the "Haynes" TR6 manuals have a method that's good enough for setting the fast idle cam's relationship to the fast idle adjustment screw.. Look in the "FUEL SYSTEM" chapter. Within it usually toward the end of the chapter, you'll find a subtitle something like "choke, fast idle adjustment" or words to that effect.
        But I can tell you that frequently what you described may not actually be a choke adjustment problem per se, but rather a carb assembly or linkage installation problem, an emission problem, vacuum, etc.
        Anyway check and set if need be the gap as per instructions in the 'books'....if there's no change, move on to other suspects.
        Driving a 1973 TR6
        Doing ZS carb repairs
        email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Looking for help on how to properly adjust the choke fast idle cam on my 72' TR6

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,723   Posts: 481,736   Members: 8,397   Active Members: 264
        Welcome to our newest member, ajiupoconiiv.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
        X