Mixture with higher compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixture with higher compression

Theoretical question. All else being equal. The carb mixture is set so that its in the middle of the range, say 1 1/2 turns. If the head is then skimmed and cylinders over-bored resulting in a higher compression, would it be expected to adjust the carbs for a richer mixture to compensate for the higher compression?
    Anthony
    ’76 TR6
    Westchester County, NY

https://triumph-tr6.wixsite.com/triumphtr6

Carbs by Poolboy
    Good Parts: Rear hubs; Adjustable TA brackets w/ Nylatron Bushes; Throttle Shaft Bushings, Aluminum Rack Mounts
    VB: Headlight Wiring Harness
    Moss:Backup Hood Release
    World Wide Auto: Rear Lever Shocks

Not necessarily. Ignition timing and cam timing may have more to do with the quality of the combustion than compression...Evaluate as it as before.
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Thanks Ken. The reason I’m asking is because the color on the plugs indicate a touch on the lean side with the mixture set at 1 1/4 turns ccw turns from the full clockwise rotation. I admit that the timing was set 1-2 degrees too advanced. Using a vacuum gauge, I readjusted the timing to 1 division from max. I also richened the mixture by 1/4 turn. I didn’t travel too far with that setting, so the jury is still out. The plugs still look the same and now I experienced a stutter during acceleration every now and again. I started to wonder, given I am only one turn from full rich, if a 40 over bore and a slightly skimmed head would need a richer mixture when compared to a stock engine. That is, if a stock engine is happy at 1.5 turns would.a larger bore etc need only 1 turn or less. But like you said, there are more variables; so I will continue to tinker to find the happy zone.

Edit: I adjusted the mixture before adjusting the timing 1 division.
      Last edited by aad; 03-15-2020, 04:28 PM.
      Anthony
      ’76 TR6
      Westchester County, NY

Carbs by Poolboy
      Good Parts: Rear hubs; Adjustable TA brackets w/ Nylatron Bushes; Throttle Shaft Bushings, Aluminum Rack Mounts

Comment

You'll find the sweet spot, Anthony; just keep fooling with it and be sure to keep up with the motor oil level in your carbs' dampers...some of them hold oil longer than others.
        Driving a 1973 TR6
        Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

• aad
          aad commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do. I do find the need to add a few drops of oil to the dampers every time I adjust the mixture as the oil clings to the tool etc.

And you may want to back off the timing a bit...try 2 in-Hg less than what you read for maximum vacuum.
        It took me a while to find my engine's sweet spot combination of timing and mixture... and I still find myself playing around with it seasonally or when I get restless....a few degrees here; an eight of a turn there, test drive, check a couple plugs, stuff like that.
        Driving a 1973 TR6
        Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

• aad
          aad commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do. I’ll back it off and take it from there.

Anthony - I assume you're using good quality 91-93 octane gas .......
        1976 TR-6 BRG - CF57239U
        Carbs by Poolboy
        Rear Camber Kit, Rear Hubs by Goodparts
        Gear Reduction Starter by TSI
        Distributor by British Vacuum

Comment

Yes, 93 octane, usually from BP
          Anthony
          ’76 TR6
          Westchester County, NY

Carbs by Poolboy

Comment

I'm experiencing the same issue with my newly rebuilt engine.

GP2 cam, recurved distributor using points, head shaved to ~9.5:1, 93 octane, timing set to 15 in Hg on vacuum gauge. Plugs indicating a little lean. An occasional stumble under hard acceleration and RPM around 4K.
            Pete, Collierville TN
            1976 CF54385 U
            Mechanically restored
            Head 9.5:1(ish) + GP2 Cam

Comment

Dial up the mixture, drive her, then check the plugs.
              My motor likes to run a bit rich. 9.2 CR, later PI cam. But still runs OK on mid grade. Vacuum readings are 17 HG.
              CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
              2nd owner, since 1975
              Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Hey Pete, I had few issues after my rebuild that required pulling the head again (machine shop error with a valve). When I put everything back together, I went with a more substantial manifold gasket (BPNW Hd?) and switched to a cooler spark plug (Champion 9 instead of the 12). Perhaps I had a small manifold gasket leak that contributed to the lean plug reading. The 9s also worked for me. It’s a process and I’m sure you’ll find the culprit.

Anthony
                ’76 TR6
                Westchester County, NY

Carbs by Poolboy

Comment

• prasnick
                  prasnick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, Anthony. I used the same gasket and have also been using Champion 9s on the advice of the guy who sold me the cam. I have played with the mixture on Ken's rebuilt carbs, so I may need to go back to the baseline of 1 1/2 turns from full rich, then go from there.
                  Last edited by prasnick; 07-07-2021, 10:00 PM.

This thread makes me glad I sprung for the adjustable jets in my rebuild. I’m still dialing things in, but so far it seems like a bit richer is good with mine too, BP270 cam and about 9.5:1.
                Bill Connell
                1969 TR6 CC28790
                TR6 project log
                St. Paul MN

Comment

Mixture with higher compression

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,679   Posts: 491,630   Members: 40,674   Active Members: 6,189
                Welcome to our newest member, uhopixisoli.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X