Looking For Opinions - Water Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Opinions - Water Pump

I'd like some opinions from the group on which way to go with my water pump. In the pics below, you can see the OEM TR250 pump which has a bronze (or brass, but I believe it's bronze), impeller and next to it is a new pump just sourced from TRF with a double pulley (from India). I need the double pulley because I plan on putting AC in my TR250 project. The OEM pump has trashed bearings, so if I decide to keep it, it needs to be rebuilt regardless.

As an interesting aside, I measured the surface area of the vanes and each OEM vane has a surface area of .39 square inches and the new pump only has .22 square inches of surface area - HUGE difference in water moving potential. You can see the difference in the center profile of each impeller.

I like the idea of moving coolant quicker through the system and I also like the idea of the bronze impeller, (which shows absolutely no signs of corrosion or cavitation). I've also read about the "Flying Dutchman" and his rebuilding techniques and 5 (or 6) vane impellers.

So here are my options: 1. Keep the OEM housing and send it to the "Flying Dutchman" and have him put the double pulley on it with new bearings.
    2. Same as above only have him put his 5 or 6 vane curved impeller on the OEM housing with the double pulley
    3. Go with the TRF pulley as is and move less coolant and possibly have less reliability from an after market unit.

Votes? Opinions?

Cheers,

Wolf

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5858.jpg Views:	0 Size:	735.0 KB ID:	529161 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4059.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	953.5 KB
ID:	529158
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wolf76STL; 02-15-2020, 09:30 PM.
    76 TR6 CF58170UO (The Lady)
    72 TR6 CC80068UO (The Slut)
    68 TR250 CD4893L (retirement project)

Isn't the oe 250 pump a bolt on pulley?Can the double groove pulley be put on the oe pump? That may make up your mind as to which one to use unless you can source a bolt on double pulley.so may be a moot point.

Comment

I would go with option 2, beter take no chance if you go with A/C...
      Triumph TR6 - 1974 - Mimosa, O/D, black interior.

Comment

I believe the groove sizes are different between 250 and late so you’ll probably need to account for that on crank & alternator pulleys
        So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
        67 GT6 Mk1
        68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
        71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
        81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

• Wolf76STL
          Wolf76STL commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point.

Definitely option 3...I mean where's your sense of adventure?

If you're not feeling adventurish then I would go with option 2 because you might as well do it right.
        73 TR6
        Libertyville, IL
        My TR6

Comment

I remember when I went to an electric fan on my 74, I put the fan and fan extension up for sale on ebay...I got an email from a guy who saw the ad and called my attention to the fact that my fan extension had a sheave on it for an AC belt. He said it was rare to see one for sale. He was right; at one point in Ol' Basil's life there was an AC.
          Anyway, it did get bids and was sold.
          Curious..is one like that going to be turning your AC belt ?
          Driving a 1973 TR6
          Doing ZS carb repairs
          email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

I don’t think it’s as much about moving the water faster than cooling the radiator better. I have the stock pump but went to 2100 CFM efan with no problems what to ever in Alabama summers so you might want to consider the extra drag of the bigger/more impellers (more area) specially if you are also loading the engine with an AC compressor as well. JMHO
            I72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

To add to Lou's comment. Somewhere in the bowels of a forum, there was a long discussion about radiators and heat exchangers and the rate of heat transfer. Someone said that the rate of water flow didn't matter. I guess the thinking is that a slow flow has a bigger temperature drop than a fast flow. But a fast flow moves more fluid, so in the end you get the same result.

You engineers here might want to break out your text books.
              1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1959 Red TR3 (Wife's)

Comment

Originally posted by poolboy View Post
                I remember when I went to an electric fan on my 74, I put the fan and fan extension up for sale on ebay...I got an email from a guy who saw the ad and called my attention to the fact that my fan extension had a sheave on it for an AC belt. He said it was rare to see one for sale. He was right; at one point in Ol' Basil's life there was an AC.
                Anyway, it did get bids and was sold.
                Curious..is one like that going to be turning your AC belt ?
                Hey cher, My intent is to run the AC off the double pulley from the water pump.
                Cheers
                76 TR6 CF58170UO (The Lady)
                72 TR6 CC80068UO (The Slut)
                68 TR250 CD4893L (retirement project)

Comment

Originally posted by skootch13 View Post
                  To add to Lou's comment. Somewhere in the bowels of a forum, there was a long discussion about radiators and heat exchangers and the rate of heat transfer. Someone said that the rate of water flow didn't matter. That's true if it's air flow limited I guess the thinking is that a slow flow has a bigger temperature drop than a fast flow. That's true if it's air flow limited But a fast flow moves more fluid, so in the end you get the same result. Pretty much - probably slightly better cooling with higher flow
                  Now I have to type something at least 10 characters

Comment

• Neddie Seagoon
                    Neddie Seagoon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Neddie, keep your hands away from the ke.....
                    Crap, too late.
                    Higher flow definitely, not just probably, gets better cooling. Heat transfer is directly proportional to mass flow rate and the temperature difference. For the same amount of heat transfer, lower flow will give a higher temperature difference, which in this case will come by having the engine run at a higher temperature.
                    Wolf, go with option 2. The curved vane’s higher efficiency will cancel out any effect the larger area might have.

I did option 2 when considering the same choices and my 6 runs a bit cooler (according to my temp gauge at least! also Flying Dutchman does good work)
                  1972 TR-6 with overdrive
                  GP2 cam, .30 over

Comment

Looking For Opinions - Water Pump

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,710   Posts: 481,604   Members: 8,384   Active Members: 245
                  Welcome to our newest member, JuliusFuT.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
                  X