Can't get my horn to blow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get my horn to blow...

All parts on my 74 TR6 are in place that should give me a horn, but I just can't get it to blow. Does anyone have a good troubleshoot for the horn? Thanks, Jim

Jim, first question, do you have the ground strap attached that runs between the steering shaft rubber coupling attached and is it in good shape?

Cheers
    Tush
    81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8
    73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
    62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
    60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Originally posted by Tush View Post
      Jim, first question, do you have the ground strap attached that runs between the steering shaft rubber coupling attached and is it in good shape?

Cheers
      Tush
      I believe so, but not sure where this connection is usually bad.

Comment

The strap connects the metal flange on one side of the rubber coupling to the metal flange on the other side of the rubber coupling...The woven wire strap runs thru the hole in the middle of the coupling. It has eyelets on each end secured under the fasteners in the flanges.
        You can see if you have a good connection by making a jumper that connects across the rubber coupling to the steering column sections.
        If the horn blows with the jumper, but doesn't without the jumper, the strap that Tush asked about is at least one of the problems.
        Driving a 1973 TR6
        Doing ZS carb repairs
        email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

• old6er
          old6er commented
          Editing a comment
          i had the same issue with the horn. all the grounds were in place still nothing. pulled the button off the wheel and grounded the contact to the wheel and the horn worked. took the button apart and cleaned up the contacts and fixed the problem.

I have continuity from one side of the steering rubber coupler to the other so I assume that means that my ground is good through the steering column. Where else should I test to see that current is in the correct place and that good grounds exist?

Comment

The ground wire from the steering rack...look for ground wire with an eyelet under the head of the bolt (or grease nipple) screwed in to the big plug for the backlash adjustments.
          Driving a 1973 TR6
          Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

If I show continuity from the upper steering column (toward the steering wheel from the steering shaft rubber coupling) to a bolt on the motor, then shouldn't that show that my ground is complete?

I see that my pencil piece, as it is sometimes called, has a broken wire between the two contact ends so I assume that that piece needs to be replaced. Still, when I make contact with one end of my tester at the bottom of the pencil cavity and the other contacting the interior of the horn button cavity to make ground, I get nothing. I believe that this should register some volts, but, as I said, I get nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow_cad View Post
              If I show continuity from the upper steering column (toward the steering wheel from the steering shaft rubber coupling) to a bolt on the motor, then shouldn't that show that my ground is complete?
              I'm no electrician, but I think I'd want to check the connection as I described it since it is the horn circuit.
              I guess you could use a wire to touch the slip ring and the splines for the steering wheel and see if that would substitute for a an intact horn brush ..I don't know why people avoid calling it that and say 'pencil' instead, though.
              Driving a 1973 TR6
              Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

I would start at the horn itself and work backwards through the relay with some jumper wires. All while referencing the wiring diagram.
                1974 TR-6 Logic Overdrive

Comment

Can't get my horn to blow...

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,705   Posts: 481,520   Members: 8,375   Active Members: 228
                Welcome to our newest member, oozuraro.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
                X