Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf76STL
    replied
    Thanks Phil, I'll keep that in mind. It will be a while until the machinist gets to my engine...he has 13 others in front of mine to do so it will probably be around the end of May.
    Cheers,
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• Philstr6
    replied
    Kevin
    I have stamps,the numbers look the same or close to your block,got a large C and E and a small and E and C
    if these will help,I will send them to you
    Phil
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Petes TR6
    replied
    I don't know if these cars will ever reach 60s-70s musclecar values, but take very good pictures of the stamp for documentation before proceeding. On those cars the verified and original drivetrain means a lot more value, but unlike a TR6 those engine and tranny stamps do contain a partial string of the VIN. I agree that a good shop should be capable of avoiding the stamp pad and leave it intact.

Leave a comment:

• poolboy
    replied
    Since the number boss is outside the contact surfaces of the head and block, seems like it could be avoided.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Kai at wishbone figures out how to machine around them, I might be able to find a picture, it is doable!

Leave a comment:

• Wolf76STL
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Irv,
    Looking for just a skim coat if I can get away with it. Most of the work will be in the head. Looking for 9.5:1 CR

• Wolf76STL
    replied
    Originally posted by skootch13 View Post
    hey Kevin, This concern has been thrown out there a lot and I have never seen a definitive answer on what typeface to use. Maybe Triumph made their own?

anyway, I would hate to lose those numbers. Do you HAVE to skim the block? Mine wasn't skimmed by the PO or myself when it was rebuilt....
    Hey Aaron. When I dropped off the engine, I explained to my machinist that I was leaving it in his hands. He knows my preference is to keep the numbers, (I'm o.k. if they are a little shallower as long as they are readable). I'm sure he'll check it with a good straight edge first, then if it's not to his liking, he'll do the lightest skim coat required. I'm just raising the question early because I know it's going to take some time to get the proper stamps if I need them. FWIW, I checked it with my 24" straight edge and feeler gauges and it seemed pretty good. We'll see what he comes back with.

Cheers,
    Kevin

ps This set doesn't seem too far off. (might need to file the "6" "9" to make it match. Others look pretty close.
    https://www.amazon.com/Oudtinx-Numbe...1559291&sr=8-5
    Last edited by Wolf76STL; 02-12-2020, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skootch13
    replied
    hey Kevin, This concern has been thrown out there a lot and I have never seen a definitive answer on what typeface to use. Maybe Triumph made their own?

anyway, I would hate to lose those numbers. Do you HAVE to skim the block? Mine wasn't skimmed by the PO or myself when it was rebuilt....

Leave a comment:

• Elwood
    replied
    A light skim will likely retain the block number. OTOH, if you're going for a full on zero deck block, you can kiss the numbers goodbye.

Leave a comment:

• A Brit in Bama
    replied
    Hey Kevin - When my block was zero-decked, the numbering was certainly made less visible, but wasn't completely lost . If you are just having it skimmed, you may get lucky and they will remain visible.

If I remember correctly, it is 1/4" or 6mm lettering - you can get some fairly decent stamp sets on Amazon for $20-50 depending on quality.

My advice is that you have multiple adult beverages before you apply the stamps so you can duplicate that "All-over-the-place direct from the factory" look

Leave a comment:

• Wolf76STL
    started a topic Engine Block # Stamps

Engine Block # Stamps

Reached a milestone yesterday when I took my 250 engine to my machinist so he can work his magic. However, when he takes a skim coat off the block he cautioned that I may loose my (OEM) block number.

Does anyone have a font name/source for the stamps so I can put it back on the block when he is finished? # is CC4890E

Cheers,
    Wolf

Click image for larger version

Name:	BlockStamp.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	692.4 KB
ID:	529088
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wolf76STL; 02-12-2020, 10:12 AM.

Engine Block # Stamps

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,707   Posts: 481,540   Members: 8,376   Active Members: 231
Welcome to our newest member, oozuraro.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
X