a sitting, stored tr6 needs attention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a sitting, stored tr6 needs attention

been a member here since 2006. active on and off, and good knowledge of this mark. been around it since I was 13. my mechanical approach is kin to 2 weeks of karate - just enough to be dangerous. so, this forum has supported me over the years in ways I can't begin to repay or express. but along the way, like anyone here, i pass on the good advice and lessons i gained. to the point that became dangerous. let me explain, and I am speaking to everyone that lives in cold weather, warm weather, north, south......in other words, to everyone who stewards a tr6.

my car is down with a stuck valve. and I am now working to get that fixed, cleaned up, and back on the road. your first impulse is to say, join the club - we all have problems with our car. that is very true, but this is an area we can all take warning from. my car would run right now if i had not been a jackass and left it parked, with no love.

I popped back on the forum a few weeks ago, annoyed by the fact that my car didn't just pop on with 4 seconds of starter and my choke knob pulled out. that routine turned into a full blown tune up. and that turned into pulled Poolboy carbs, and more routine checking. cleaning, adjusting, and now the car is running, and im on the local roads, all is good. to the hardware store, and a few other places. i replace a torn diaphram, and other tidbids, tools in the passenger seat.

and then i lose a cylinder. jeez. what now. new plugs, and even a full wire set. finally pull the valve cover, and look at the springs, and don't have the slingblade common sense to walk to the other side of the car to look at the pushrods. that awreness comes later. bent rod, stuck intake valve.

all this will be sorted on another forum topic. but this side bar is a warning. my call with Ken back when we were working on my carbs, I was reminded by something he said - he tells anyone in the north to go through some routines to insure the gas is good, and the carbs are run dry. well, others, regardless of where they live, need to heed the advice of protecting a mechanical environment that wasn't intended to live in today's environment.

my car sat for a while. i don't know how long. call it a year. 1/2 tank. when it was parked, while tired on 12K spark plugs, old cap and rotor, and old valve adjustments, would haul ass. not that i hit that pedal hard - i just know it ran great. and it was in a garage, in texas air, normal humidity.....whatever, just know it wasn't parked on a beach, sucking in salt air, or ..replace these conditions with yours. this new gas, my old tank, rubber hoses, and whatever this gas turned into, is storm clash that just isn't visible or part of your awareness.

i hope for all members, we can learn and improve on our stewardship of this mark in todays world. if nothing else, learn from my horrible example - in short, its a responsibility to care and maintain this mark, and if you read what I just wrote, I did not do my duty in caring for the school car.

so, stored car stewards - get out there, and check that car.

cheers
    G
    Last edited by L.O. Guvna; 11-23-2019, 09:47 AM. Reason: word change

Was the torn diaphragm on the rear carb, the one that served the cylinder with the stuck intake valve ?
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

yes it was. 4th back from the front, so it would have been served by that rear carb.

Comment

When a stuck intake valve is a bit open on the compression stroke, that will blow out a diaphragm.
        Driving a 1973 TR6
        Doing ZS carb repairs
        email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Really. hmmm. Damn. Didn't 't seem possible until I started thinking about the piston going up and down 4000 times a minute and that car engines are used to run jack hammers. A stuck valve must play havoc on the carb. Sensing ports on the engine side........... The air piston must be doing weird stuff........Learned something new today, PB. Thanks.
          1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

a sitting, stored tr6 needs attention

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,510   Posts: 490,163   Members: 20,416   Active Members: 5,526
          Welcome to our newest member, Dudleybreex.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X