Loud Bang under bonnet on shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Bang under bonnet on shut down

I helped a good friend sort his a-type overdrive problems on his TR3 yesterday. We identified the problem as a bad relay. My FLAPS is about 12 miles away from my place, so we went to purchase a replacement. We took my TR250 which has been running flawlessly. When we returned I pulled into my garage and shut the key off to a loud "bang" under the hood. It sounded like metal breaking. I looked for anything obvious, but didn't see anything immediately wrong (no discernable play in crank, no fluids escaping, no parts on the floor, no smoke, plenty of coolant and oil, no signs of fluids mixing that shouldn't be). I tried starting the engine, it turns over but doesn't fire. It sounds like the top end is wheezing. We fixed his overdrive and had a couple drinks.

This morning I removed the valve cover expecting to see something broken. Everything looks normal when I crank it over and there are no further untoward noises. But it still doesn't fire. He's coming over shortly to help continue our investigations (and replace the carpet in his TR3). I'll check for spark and fuel next, but in 45 years of driving and fixing Triumphs I haven't had this happen before. Any suggestions appreciated as always.
    1961 TR4 1966 TR4A
    1968 TR250 1975 TR6
    1979 Spitfire 1500

Do a compression check as part of your investigation, Skip.
    FWIW...my 60 year old Ford tractor began making one loud "pop" when I killed the engine....I messed around with the ignition timing and the carb mixture and between the 2 I put an end to the explosions.
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Thanks Ken!
      I just checked for gas and spark and everything appears normal. I tried starting it again and it fired right up. Maybe it just needed attention (my dogs act that way sometimes). Perhaps jealous of the TR3?
      I'll take a long test drive after we reinstall the TR3 carpets.
      1961 TR4 1966 TR4A
      1968 TR250 1975 TR6
      1979 Spitfire 1500

Comment

• SapphireBlue72
        SapphireBlue72 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wouldn't hurt to check ignition timing, possibly a little retarded.

Loud Bang under bonnet on shut down

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,458   Posts: 489,752   Members: 14,980   Active Members: 580
    Welcome to our newest member, ahgedott.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
    X