Running temperature: hotter than it used to be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running temperature: hotter than it used to be

I recently made a few changes to the coolant system with TR6BILL and noticed that the temp gauge needle, which used to hover around the middle, is now running hot. The picture below is the coolest I could get.
    I spent the weekend cruising around to test out the changes (scrapped the aluminum radiator for stock, changed the 7 blade fan back to 13, replaced the stock hose which didn't fit well and crimped a bit with this O'Reily Gates one seen here).
    With light traffic the needle would creep up to red which alarmed me. TR6BILL says its normal for TR6's to run hot and that the outside temperature may have played a part. We thought the change in crimped hose would reduced the temperature, it didn't.

MY QUESTION: Is the change in cruising temperature from middle gauge to upper half due to the above modifications to the coolant system OR due to the fact that it was painfully hot outside all weekend (mid 90s and not enjoyable)?

If only I could be in Norway or at least the northern half of the US right now (like a lot of other TR6 owners posting pictures on Instagram now that the Summer driving season is here). Oy.

Originally posted by TR6MIKE View Post
    I recently made a few changes to the coolant system with TR6BILL and noticed that the temp gauge needle, which used to hover around the middle, is now running hot. The picture below is the coolest I could get.
    I spent the weekend cruising around to test out the changes (scrapped the aluminum radiator for stock, changed the 7 blade fan back to 13, replaced the stock hose which didn't fit well and crimped a bit with this O'Reily Gates one seen here).
    With light traffic the needle would creep up to red which alarmed me. TR6BILL says its normal for TR6's to run hot and that the outside temperature may have played a part. We thought the change in crimped hose would reduced the temperature, it didn't.

MY QUESTION: Is the change in cruising temperature from middle gauge to upper half due to the above modifications to the coolant system OR due to the fact that it was painfully hot outside all weekend (mid 90s and not enjoyable)?

If only I could be in Norway or at least the northern half of the US right now (like a lot of other TR6 owners posting pictures on Instagram now that the Summer driving season is here). Oy.
    TR6MIKE --- In the hottest outside temperatures (100+ deg.F.) my dash gauge hangs around the half way mark, when cruising. If I stop for a while in traffic, it will nudge as far as between the half and 3/4 mark. This is with a 180 'stat and 13 blade fan, stock radiator, 14BTDC timing at idle.
    If you changed the sensor while making changes in the cooling system, know that there is inconsistency in what these can report to the dash gauge. You can verify the actual coolant temps with an AF gun, or (carefully) remove the radiator cap and check with a candy thermometer.

It's true that engines can run nicely at 200 deg.F. but that doesn't leave much in the confidence factor.

Dick

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1150 (3).JPG
Views:	0
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	510919

If you have not yet removed the block plug (behind the starter motor) to flush out original casting sand (& old dark creamy-solid gook), it might help the engine to run cooler by improving coolant circulation.
      Walt
      CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
      poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

Suspect that it is the result of ambient temperature.. If your cooling system is borderline then an increase in the temp of the air could make all the difference. I have certainly noticed that the electric fan I have is running longer in this new weather. At standstill it cycles on and off and in warm temps it is on more than off..
        Cheers
        Tim

Comment

This was on WWL TV this morning aimed at pet owners; but I think it may apply to car owners as well especially if slow moving or stopped...
          When it's 95*F the road surface can be 155*F....I imagine in New Orleans, sitting in traffic, you're being affected....Get Dad to install an electric fan for you, Mike.
          Driving a 1973 TR6
          Doing ZS carb repairs
          email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by poolboy View Post
            This was on WWL TV this morning aimed at pet owners; but I think it may apply to car owners as well especially if slow moving or stopped...
            When it's 95*F the road surface can be 155*F....I imagine in New Orleans, sitting in traffic, you're being affected....Get Dad to install an electric fan for you, Mike.
            PB, you are a trouble maker...................

Comment

Poolboy, you make me sound so spoiled :-). Nevertheless, thanks for the tips PB, dicta and SapphireBlue72. I'll look into the block plug and testing the actual coolant temps. But first, I'll run the roads one morning this weekend very early when the ambient temps are
              in the upper 70s and see if there is any change in gauge temp.
              Note, moving forward TR6BILL is merely a hands off advisor. I'm not bringing it back to his garage anytime soon. I've got to figure this out myself.

Comment

Originally posted by TR6BILL View Post

PB, you are a trouble maker...................
                Right....
                and I still have that solenoid, Bill....hollar if you need it.
                BTW, did anyone mention the possibility of an air pocket in the cooling system ?
                Last edited by poolboy; 06-27-2018, 11:14 AM.
                Driving a 1973 TR6
                Doing ZS carb repairs
                email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1147 (7).JPG Views:	2 Size:	119.7 KB ID:	510985DSCF1147 (7).JPGClick image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1146 (7).JPG Views:	1 Size:	176.4 KB ID:	510981

Here is a safe way to undo that 3/4" engine block bolt.

It is on really tight, so you want mechanical advantage to break it loose.

The small photo show a 6-point 3/4" socket (a 12-point will slip off the bolt);
                  a 3/8" flex joint extension (the flex joint is needed to get over top the solenoid);
                  an adapter from 1/2" to 3/8";
                  a 1/2" (10 inch) extension & 1/2" breaker bar.
                  Last edited by SapphireBlue72; 06-27-2018, 11:45 AM.
                  Walt
                  CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
                  poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

Originally posted by TR6MIKE View Post
                    Poolboy, you make me sound so spoiled :-). Nevertheless, thanks for the tips PB, dicta and SapphireBlue72. I'll look into the block plug and testing the actual coolant temps. But first, I'll run the roads one morning this weekend very early when the ambient temps are
                    in the upper 70s and see if there is any change in gauge temp.
                    Note, moving forward TR6BILL is merely a hands off advisor. I'm not bringing it back to his garage anytime soon. I've got to figure this out myself.
                    Mike, now you are hurting your old man's feelings.....

Comment

Personally I would check the coolant temperature with a thermometer before messing with anything. That is a low resistive (around 250 ohms IIRC) circuit that drives that gauge and any changes in resistance like loose or corroded connections, broken strands, etc. will affect the resistance and hence the gauge reading. Also let's not forget that like the fuel gauge it is a 10v gauge and any changes or fluctuations in the voltage regulator behind the speedo will also affect the reading. How is your fuel gauge reading, is it also reading higher? When in doubt you can check the level with a broom stick.
                      Last edited by lfmTR4; 06-27-2018, 06:21 PM.
                      72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
                      67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Problem solved? I ran the triumph for an hour around town Saturday morning early when it was around 80 and the roads were cool compared to the previous experience when it had been 95+ all day (with the road temps being much higher as poolboy said).
                        The temp needle hovered closer to the middle of the gauge so I concluded that the ambient temperature did affect the running temperature. If anything changes in the future, I'll perform checks as stated above. Thanks guys!

Comment

Good outcome.. if nothing else you have proved that the TR can be used as an expensive ambient temperature gauge

Comment

Running temperature: hotter than it used to be

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,458   Posts: 489,752   Members: 14,978   Active Members: 579
                          Welcome to our newest member, icomoljekogim.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X