Headlight dimmer replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight dimmer replacement

I would like to replace my floor mounted dimmer switch with a toggle switch located at the bottom corner of the dash. Rarely drive at night, seldom use high beam and my left foot could use the space. Know very little of the electrical stuff, but think a SPDT toggle switch is what I need. Not sure of its rating, if any. Connections seem simple, the blue wire is the power in and the blue/white is the hibeam, blue/red low beam. When the column switch is on the blue has power and the toggle will direct where it goes. Thinking a double pole toggle switch;

Click image for larger version

Name:	LT_3_0.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	547982

Ralph
    TR250 "Eileen"
    MGB "Merck"
    VW GTI

Ralph:

Not sure if there was a question in your post - but - I can confirm what you want can be done pretty easily.

Like you, I wasn't keen on the floor-mounted dimmer switch in my 71. Instead of a toggle switch, I inserted a push-button switch on the gear knob (which was beautifully wood-turned by forum member oppositelocksmith ) to achieve the same result.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2017-10-27 15.49.00.jpg Views:	5 Size:	220.2 KB ID:	547990

Things you'll have to factor in are
    • Wires to and from the new switch with terminals to connect with the existing wires running to the lights,
    • A ground wire from the new switch to a suitable location under the dash so that the LED illuminates on full-beam
    • If you have not already, you should strongly consider installing relays to power the headlights. With the standard wiring, all the current that powers the headlights flows through light-switch stalk on the steering column, and through the dimmer switch, and the (in your case) 54-year old wiring. As an illustration, if you had 60W main beams, then around 10A of current will be flowing. That may be too much for your chosen toggle switch.
    • There may be some other things I am forgetting, but I installed mine about 5 years ago, so exact steps are getting foggy.
    Inserting relays (Kits available from Moss etc. or you can roll-your-own kit fairly easily) will reduce the current running through the switches to a small (and much safer) fraction of that. Plus with relays, you will get brighter light too.
    Last edited by A Brit in Bama; 04-13-2022, 06:09 PM.
    Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 TR6
    10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Good Parts Ram-Air induction | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Willwood Calipers and Vented Rotors | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

Thanks Keith, I appreciate the info. I did some looking around and the switch will not have the LED, just a plain one as it will be under the dash and the dash light will be lit when highs are on, if ever. The wire harness is new as of 2015, I will take a look at the relays as that is my main concern. Headlights are standard Lucas 7 inchers and the switch i have in mind is rated at 20W. Initially I was thinking of just removing the entire high beam switch plus mount, and just mount it up higher, but I think it would still be in the way. My foot is always catching the edge of it when shifting.

My 250 is from AL, not far from you. Some big storms headed in your direction.
      Last edited by 46er; 04-14-2022, 09:07 AM.
      Ralph
      TR250 "Eileen"
      MGB "Merck"
      VW GTI

Comment

I did that years ago with a toggle under the dash to make it easier to activate and deactivate. IIRC, it had to be a SPDT toggle as it has to be in hi or low beam position for the lights to work. Check out the wiring diagram at http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf for your year.

i used the double male extenders on the foot switch as I wanted both to work https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-230613-...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi

i highly recommend adding the relays to both the low and high beam circuits to take the load off the old switch and it makes the lights brighter. I used standard 12v relays that you can get a your FLAPS. They are upfront on the driver’s side where all headlight wires are. Use the current hot wires to activate the relays and in my case I took took main circuit power from the back of the alternator close by. Also added a self resetting breaker for each circuit.. I’ve never really liked the idea of unfused lights or anything else in the car.

https://www.amazon.com/Gloaso-Automa...9938286&sr=8-8

My gearshift thumb button is for the overdrive

Name:	9A8C5DD1-36E3-417D-AD58-FCDB845B34F7.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	547997

Attached Files
        72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
        67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Lou sent me these components that he just described.
          Velcro attachment.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Heaadlight relay 002.jpg Views:	9 Size:	987.6 KB ID:	547999
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Headlight relay 001.jpg Views:	8 Size:	904.4 KB ID:	548000
          Last edited by poolboy; 04-14-2022, 10:30 AM.
          Driving a 1973 TR6
          Doing ZS carb repairs
          email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Thanks. I ordered the toggle switch and will swap the wires and test before making it permanent.. Will use the extender for the dash hibeam light and if all goes well will move it all. Will definitely look into the relays, thanks Ken; can you post the schematic?. One other issue to look at is the flash-to-pass, the switch is working but not the lights, will have to see if it is all connected, some electrical stuff was not, and that should take care of my electrical 'to do' list. The wiring diagram and Masters book was a big help.
            Ralph
            TR250 "Eileen"
            MGB "Merck"
            VW GTI

Comment

This is the way Lou drew it up...It's old now but I did manage to hang onto it

Name:	HEadlight RElay Schematic 001.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	548005
              Driving a 1973 TR6
              Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

I installed a shift knob-mounted O/D switch like Brit in ‘Bama’s, which free’d up the column stalk, which is a simple interruptor switch. I came up with some combination of relays that allowed the column stalk to operate as a Hi/Lo switch. I repurposed the foot switch as an ignition kill switch as an anti-theft device
                Dave C
                '72 Sapphire #CC82360UO
                Chapel Hill NC

Comment

Getting back to finishing up. I took the easy way with the dip switch, just mounted it up behind the bonnet release and removed its mount, nothing but its location changed. Ordered the headlight relays, question where folks connect to get power for the relays. Moss recommends the starter solenoid, but their instructions are for an MGB and the distance for the 250 is a bit too far for my taste. Thinking of the purple circuit on the fuse box but unsure if that might be too much for the fuse, maybe the brown side?

Name:	P1020525.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	4.57 MB
ID:	548388
                  Ralph
                  TR250 "Eileen"
                  MGB "Merck"
                  VW GTI

Comment

I used the battery's connection to the alternator. It's the brown wire in this picture...and no fuse just that circuit breaker.. just the way Lou drew it up.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Heaadlight relay 002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	987.6 KB ID:	548390
                    Driving a 1973 TR6
                    Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

Thanks Ken, I have a 16 ACR alternator, no place for a connection. The brown wire into the fuse box comes off the starter solenoid, I'm thinking that would work, but electric stuff is not my thing.

Name:	P1020502.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	548397
                      Ralph
                      TR250 "Eileen"
                      MGB "Merck"
                      VW GTI

Comment

• 46er
                        46er commented
                        Editing a comment
                        All done

Headlight dimmer replacement

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,033   Posts: 494,459   Members: 56,913   Active Members: 138
                    Welcome to our newest member, julian30.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

• Sep 10
                      01:00 AM | The annual British Car Day in Cincinnati is September 11th.

Live music, food, and beer trucks

Two new classes added, British...
                    • No more items.
                    Working...
                    X