No announcement yet.

Will this FAST electronic ignition fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this FAST electronic ignition fit?

FAST (formerly Crane) seems to be one of the more reliable electronic ignitions out there based on everything I've read.

Unfortunately, a lot of stuff on the FAST website says 'coming soon'. I don't know if their site is backed up due to covid or what. I was hoping to cross-reference this part but couldn't.

Either way, I found this electronic ignition on Moss. It was under the TR6 stuff. But, under the 'where used' tab it says it is for a Jaguar. So I emailed Moss and they said it would fit any 4, 6, or 8 cylinder vehicle. Which makes sense based on the parts shown.

Does anyone know if it will fit a TR6 specifically? Mine is a 1969 with Lucas 22D distributor. I've emailed FAST to see if they know. Hoping someone here might be familiar with it.

https://mossmotors.com/electronic-ignition-kit-2

I bought the xr700 over 20 years ago when it was still made by allison. Very very reliable. Never have to touch my distributor. One thing to keep in mind though is that it is designed to run on a ballasted ignition system so you will also need a 1.5 ohm coil.

Comment

• tr6ed
      tr6ed commented
      Editing a comment
      Summit racing has them for quite a bit cheaper.

And probably an external Ceramic type ballast, too, since without one he'll still have 12 volts feeding the coil and the FAST.
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

I’m confused. Why is the ceramic type ballast needed with that kit?

Comment

Your car does not have a resistor wire in the harness going to the coil like the later cars. As Pooboy stated, you will need an external ceramic type ballast resistor as the fast module runs on 6 to 7 volts. A full 12 volts will burn up the module. You can download the Fast instructions and read all about it.

Comment

See if the instructions say that you need a ballasted ignition. It did when the FAST was called XR700.... and the TR6 ignitions prior to 1973 did not have a ballasted ignition with a ballast resistor....So, if there is still the need for a ballast resistor then you'd have to rig one up....you'd need a 1.5 ohm coil and an actual ballast resistor...ceramic will do the job
          Read the "OVERVIEW" and the instructions that go with Figure 19....that's the distributor we have in the TR6.
          https://static.summitracing.com/glob...structions.pdf
          https://brillman.com/product/1-5-ohm...last-resistor/
          Driving a 1973 TR6
          Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification

Would that be something that's mounted in the engine bay then, or should it go behind the dash?

The XR3000 says you have to bypass any OE ballast resistor. It also says it's their 'high performance' version. Maybe it's overkill for this car
            Last edited by DanB360; 10-10-2021, 02:02 PM.

Comment

As per page 2 of the install instructions I have para 3 " the XR3000 unit is designed to operate continuously on 12-14 volts. This unit would be better suited for the older cars with no ballast resistor and a 12 volt coil". So it sounds it would be pretty much plug and play for your car. Most guys ive seen using a ceramic ballast have mounted right on the coil bracket. Hope this helps you.

Comment

• tr6ed
                tr6ed commented
                Editing a comment
                The XR3000 is a little more expensive but you wouldnt have to worry a ballast ignition.

Originally posted by DanB360 View Post
              Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification

Would that be something that's mounted in the engine bay then, or should it go behind the dash?

The XR3000 says you have to bypass any OE ballast resistor. It also says it's their 'high performance' version. Maybe it's overkill for this car
              Which one are you considering.....the 700 or the 3000 ....or should I ask is the FAST a 3000 or a 700 ?
              And as far as the ballast...I've only seen them mounted in the engine bay.
              Driving a 1973 TR6
              Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

Now I'm considering both. FAST makes both the 3000 and 700.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fst-3000-0231

If I'm reading the instructions right, it appears the 3000 would be a little more plug and play like tr6ed said

Comment

So after reading Dan Masters electrical book, seems like the xr3000 is the way to go

Comment

I installed this Accuspark electronic points replacement that fits inside the dizzy. http://www.sportscarpartsltd.com/Acc...D4_p_1383.html
                    My dizzy has a slightly worn top bushing on the shaft that allowed the shaft to move side to side very slightly. This caused some issues with he points accuracy and I had a stumble right at 1600 rpm. Since the Accuspark does no push on the shaft, the spark is now more accurate than with the points and the car runs fantastic. Stumble is gone. BTW, I had replaced points, condenser, wires, coil and plugs and nothing solved the stumble except eliminating the points.

Comment

How’s the reliability been with the accuspark? I was reading about them today

Comment

Well, after some research over the past few days I ordered the AccuSpark kit this morning and their 3ohm coil. It will be a little less involved that the FAST kit. Can always change it later.

I have a CDI connected to the points right now (someone installed it back in the 70s I think). It's an old unit. Curious to see how this electronic ignition performs compared to that.

Comment

I have been using an acuspark kit for 10 years, they are simple to fit, and overcomes a worn dizzy issues well. The built in curve suits the engine well, it starts first time every time. They are inexpensive

Comment

Will this FAST electronic ignition fit?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,743   Posts: 492,178   Members: 48,391   Active Members: 6,782
                          Welcome to our newest member, iheduqa.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X