Horns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horns

lack of honking. I have gone thru looking for what is causing no sound from the horns on the 250. Purple connections at fuse and horn connectors are 12.5V. Have continuity on the steering column braided connection and the steering box to ground. Each horn sounds when the PB on the horns is grounded and when each side of the under dash PB connector is grounded. It appears it may be a ground problem, but how to determine where? I have a suspect area shown in the picture. I have been using a Power Probe to check things, makes it easier for an electrical neophyte like me.

Arrows: Black is a loose bullet, Yellow is a connector with one open end, Pink is the harness the bullet comes out of, Orange is the tab ground. The connector with one open end seems to be for the left side lights.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020386rs.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	544401
    Ralph
    TR250 "Eileen"
    MGB "Merck"
    VW GTI

Have you checked the horn button and brush? It sounds like everything else is good. After you pull out the horn button and spring-loaded brush, insert a small screwdriver into the horn brush hole in the hub to make contact with the slip ring. The horn should sound as the screwdriver contacts the slip ring and the metal hub unless the purple/black wire has fallen off the back of the slip ring. On reassembly, make sure the horn button is oriented with the brass contact plate over the brush.

Oh, and push that loose black bullet back into the 4-way sleeve. All of the black wires should be connected together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Turn Signal Clip.jpg Views:	0 Size:	607.7 KB ID:	544417
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC04189.JPG Views:	0 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	544418

Last edited by RatRidgeRoadster; 09-14-2021, 02:13 AM.
    R3
    Jim Herter,͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏Copperas Cove, TX
    Original Owner ֍ 1970 TR6 CC 50990 LO

Comment

Thanks Jim. Have not checked the horn button and will give it a try today. Is the horn button a press fit? Those horns are loud, didn't expect them to sound when testing them and then they did Just one more issue, wiring the wiper switch and then done. The turn signals were an embarrassment, and work just fine. I thought I had the hazard switch off, accidently found out I didn't.
      Ralph
      TR250 "Eileen"
      MGB "Merck"
      VW GTI

Comment

Originally posted by 46er View Post
        Is the horn button a press fit?

I thought I had the hazard switch off, accidently found out I didn't.
        Yes. Pull off the rubber surround pad and you'll have better access to pull out the horn button. Should be able to pull it with just your fingernails.

Are your hazard lights working?

R3

Comment

No, the hazards are not working, that's how I got fooled. I was testing for the turn signals and hit the haz switch at the same time, the turn signal started up. The haz switch off location appears to be the top pushed in, unless it is wired backwards.

On the 250 there isn't the small rubber pad, this one extends down the spokes and is attached there as well, see picture. I am going to very gently try a paint can opener after covering with tape around the horn push.

Name:	image3.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	544457

Ralph
          TR250 "Eileen"
          MGB "Merck"
          VW GTI

Comment

The horns sound with the screwdriver inserted and moved around a bit. My picture looks nothing like the one you posted. The spring-loaded brush is 2 1/4 inches long. Perhaps it is worn down, although the horn push button really popped out of the hub. Moss does show 2 spring brushes, one 3.4 inches, no measurement on the other. I will measure how deep the screwdriver goes in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1020389.JPG Views:	3 Size:	4.66 MB ID:	544464 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1020391.JPG Views:	3 Size:	4.79 MB ID:	544465
            Last edited by 46er; 09-14-2021, 04:23 PM.
            Ralph
            TR250 "Eileen"
            MGB "Merck"
            VW GTI

Comment

• 46er
              46er commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like the length is the problem. Screwdriver goes in at least 3" to where the horn push button rests on the edge of the hub. TRF shows 2 other lengths. I'll order the longer one from BPN, they give a good explanation as to which one to fit..
              Last edited by 46er; 09-14-2021, 05:01 PM.

My picture looks nothing like the one you posted.
            My picture is with the steering wheel and hub removed.

TRF seems to agree you need the 3.4" one.

Can you hear a click from the hazard relay when you toggle the hazard switch? If not, with the switch in the hazard position, check for ~12V on the purple/red wire normally connected to terminal W1 on the hazard relay.

R3

Comment

Is this black wire connected to the steering rack? Back when I put my car back together I missed that and the horns wouldn't honk.

Name:	IMG_2228.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	544474
              Ignore the other black wire, on my car that goes to the aftermarket headlight relay.
              73 TR6
              Dundee, IL
              My TR6

Comment

No click from the haz relay when switch toggled. There is power on the W1 pur/red haz relay terminal regardless of the position of the haz switch.
                Ralph
                TR250 "Eileen"
                MGB "Merck"
                VW GTI

Comment

There is power on the W1 pur/red haz relay terminal regardless of the position of the haz switch.
                  That would pretty much indicate that the hazard half of the hazard switch has been bypassed.

Just curious, and this may not lead to fixing the problem; is the black ground wire(s) connected to terminal W2, and does the hazard relay click off if you remove the purple/red wire from it?

R3

Comment

There are 3 black wires connected to W2 and the haz relay does not click when the pur/red wires, there are 2 on one connector, are removed with the switch in either the on or off position. Picture is upside down.

Name:	P1020394.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	4.30 MB
ID:	544487
                    Ralph
                    TR250 "Eileen"
                    MGB "Merck"
                    VW GTI

Comment

If there is still power on the purple/red wires at all times and it doesn't click then either the black wires are not a good ground or the relay is kaput (stuck or the coil is open or burnt out). Jump the W2 terminal to a good ground to see if it clicks and/or check the resistance between Terminals W1 and W2 with your meter in the 200Ω range (If it's not auto-ranging).
                      R3

Comment

No click with W2 jumped to the braided ground. The multimeter jumps between high 70's and low 80's. Both tried with haz switch on and off with same result. Guess I will add the relay to the horn spring order
                        Ralph
                        TR250 "Eileen"
                        MGB "Merck"
                        VW GTI

Comment

The meter shouldn't be jumping around if you're holding steady pressure on the leads. I'm reading 74.4Ω on mine, so you're in the ballpark of where it should be. With a pair of pliers, straighten out the crimps on the relay case and open it up to see what you have. The spring-loaded plate above the electromagnet should move up and down with a push of your finger. put power on W1 & W2 with it open to see what's going on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC04148.JPG Views:	0 Size:	817.3 KB ID:	544535
                          R3

Comment

The multimeter jumps between high 70's and low 80's. Both tried with haz switch on and off with same result.
                            Were you checking with the Hot purple/red wire connected? You should never check resistance on a powered circuit.

Guess I should have mentioned to remove the purple/red.
                            Last edited by RatRidgeRoadster; 09-15-2021, 09:31 PM.
                            R3

Comment

Horns

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,679   Posts: 491,630   Members: 40,672   Active Members: 6,199
                            Welcome to our newest member, AlbertDum.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X