AAW wire harness and GM alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAW wire harness and GM alternator

Hey all, first post here actually. Wife and I picked up a '69 TR6 recently. She runs great but I'm a preventative maintenance kind of guy.

The car has had 3 owners (I'm the 4th) and some of the wiring is a little hacked up. There's a few loose connections in the engine bay probably from modifications or different replacement parts.

To further complicate things, the car has a HeathKit (CP-1060) capacitive discharge ignition box wired to the distributor and coil. It still uses points though. According to the original manual, looks like that thing was installed in 1976. From what I can tell, it looks like it amplifies the electrical signal to the distributor for better spark I guess.

Regarding an alternator replacement, it looks like a GM 4011A or 4011B will work? This whole alternator thing is confusing me. The more I search, I get analysis paralysis. The AAW instructions call for a GM alternator and come wired for it.

While the GM alternator requires some cutting and grinding, I guess it's not the end of the world. The Ford Fiesta alternator would be ideal but looks like it requires re-wiring the AAW harness.

Welcome Dan!
    Is your 69 still funning the stock Lucas alternator? Is the Heathkit ignition the only mod?
    I prefer the original set up in these cars myself. I don't have a super duper sound system or even a radio at all, although I do have few extra () instruments added and the Coventry wiring seems to suffice quite well actually.
    CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
    2nd owner, since 1975
    Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Its a lucas alternator so I'm assuming its the stock one. Speaking of that we just went for a little drive and the red ignition light blinked a few times. I think that means the alternator is on its way out.

Heathkit is the only ignition mod.

There's a radio in the car but it doesn't work anyways. Well it turns on but I think the radio itself gave up the ghost. No stations come in.

Comment

I' running the GM delco. It took about 30 minutes to make a bracket and it has no trouble at all. I will post a pic or two tomorrow.
        1976 TR6 originally white now Porsche Voodoo Blue
        Frame off resto started May 2015
        Tshirts and TA boxes replaced
        Diff braced and reinforced
        Engine and head rebuilt
        Header and Intake ported
        SS exhaust
        Floors repaired, new metal at rear bumper mounting points
        New Rockers
        AAW wiring - GM alternator
        Complete suspension and brake rebuild, poly bushings

Comment

Dan,
          So, the 69 has an ammeter vs. the voltmeter in the later cars.
          What does the instrument read at idle and whilst running during normal road driving and perhaps more telling, what does it read with the lights on?
          CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
          2nd owner, since 1975
          Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Id clean all connections, including the terminals at the battery, and charge the battery itself before going all in replacements.

Post some pics of it and the engine compartment electrics, for any additional perspectives.
            '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
            Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
            Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
            Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
            Redlines always.
            My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

I'll have to start it back up tomorrow and turn on lights and stuff. At idle, the needle was jumping back and forth a little bit. When the engine was under load, the needle stayed right in the middle, or slightly in the red. We drove around for about 20-30 minutes and it stayed in that same position the whole time. If it moved it was only by a degree or so.

Comment

Sounds OK to me. The battery slightly discharges during the starting process, and the alternator charges it back up after running for a while.

Cleaning all connections (even if they LOOK clean) and charging the battery will give you a solid baseline.
                '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
                Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
                Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
                Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
                Redlines always.
                My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

Before I installed the AAW harness, I installed the GM alternator..... here's the step by step on my site http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/Alter...nversion_1.htm
                  1975 Mimosa with a few upgrades/mods:
                  Patton TBI
                  HVDA Toyota 5 speed
                  Goodparts Nissan Diff
                  Goodparts CVJs
                  AAW Wire Harness
                  Miata Seats
                  Boyd Welding Custom 15 gallon aluminum gas tank

Comment

I haven’t had a chance to start it up and check the ammeter with any accessories in. I did take some pictures of that discharge ignition box and the wiring though. Although I don’t think that’s causing an issue with with ignition light blinking.

it looks like the red wire supplies power to that box. Then it’s hooked up to the coil. And one wire runs directly to the distributor. That’s running fine. Just curious what it does exactly and how it would fit in. Or not fit in with an AAW harness.

oh and that loose connector next to the fuel filter, I don’t know what that goes to. Or went to. Still waiting on the Dan masters electrical book to arrive so I can diagnose it.
                    Last edited by DanB360; 09-14-2021, 07:53 AM.

Comment

That loose wire looks like the connector for the PWDA switch, it would be a small brass connector along the lower edge of the inner fender, with 4 brake lines going in/out and an electrical connection on top.
                      Bill Connell
                      1969 TR6 CC28790
                      TR6 project log
                      St. Paul MN

Comment

Ok that makes sense. PO had mentioned about the brake light on the dash being disconnected because of the way something had been wired up previously. I'll have to take a look at that.

Comment

Well the post man delivered Dan Masters electrical handbook yesterday. I read the first few chapters. What a well written book. Really glad I bought that. I learned more about electrical circuits than I’ve ever known if my last 39 years of existence.

Comment

A must have, that's for sure.
                            Driving a 1973 TR6
                            Doing ZS carb repairs
                            email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

AAW wire harness and GM alternator

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,786   Posts: 492,636   Members: 56,535   Active Members: 5,516
                            Welcome to our newest member, GonacoDob.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X