Starter Motor Won't Turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Motor Won't Turn

First time poster but long-time observer on forums. I have a 1974 that has been parked for about a year because of some brake problems and an illness in my family. Last week, I was going to have it towed to a repair shop to fix the brakes, but decided that I needed to make sure it would start for the repair shop to test drive it. When I turned the key to "on", all of the warning lights came on, but when I turned the key to "start" nothing happened. No click, nothing. My first thought was the battery (even though I had kept a trickle charger on it for the time it was parked), so I put a circuit tester on the battery and it showed dead. Bought a replacement battery, but got the same result when I tried to start it.

Before the car was parked, the starter was acting up a bit, spinning sometimes when I would try to start it. Could the starter or solenoid have gone bad while it was parked?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.
    NeilV
    CF 25281 UO
    Early1974 French Blue
    Owned Since 1976

Double check the cable connections to the battery and grounds to the body and engine.
    I had a similar issues a month or so ago and it turned out the ground connection was not sufficient to turn the starter.
    CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
    2nd owner, since 1975
    Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

74, huh ?
      Has the wiring to the 'seatbelt warning module been modified yet ?
      The problem was addressed in 75 at the factory because when it failed the starter would not engage...the thing is I don't remember if it affected the 'warning lights' or just the starter...
      Driving a 1973 TR6
      Doing ZS carb repairs
      email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

If you have no click, the problem will be the starter switch, the starter relay, or a defective seatbelt module.

With the gearbox in neutral, you could jump the white/orange and brown wires on the starter relay together or you could jump from the battery to the white/orange wire to determine if the relay is good. Either one will put 12 volts on the relay coil. If the relay clicks and the starter turns over the problem will be in the switch or seatbelt module.

You can check for voltage on the white/red and white/orange wires at the seatbelt module with a multi-meter or test light whilst you turn the switch to start to determine if it's the switch or seatbelt module.

Click image for larger version  Name:	74SeatbeltModule.jpg Views:	0 Size:	459.3 KB ID:	544288
        Last edited by RatRidgeRoadster; 09-09-2021, 07:19 PM.
        R3
        Jim Herter,͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏Copperas Cove, TX
        Original Owner ֍ 1970 TR6 CC 50990 LO

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses. I will check all of the suggestions out.

Regarding the seatbelt module, I have had the car since 1976 and have never had to have the driver belt connected in order to start the car. Given this, could it still be the seatbelt module?

Thanks.

NeilV
          NeilV
          CF 25281 UO
          Early1974 French Blue
          Owned Since 1976

Comment

They have to malfunction sometime...Maybe it was time.
            Driving a 1973 TR6
            Doing ZS carb repairs
            email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Starter Motor Won't Turn

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,786   Posts: 492,636   Members: 56,535   Active Members: 5,516
            Welcome to our newest member, GonacoDob.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X