Dashboard light for Overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashboard light for Overdrive

This past winter I bought a rebuilt overdrive transmission for my car. I've installed it and am thrilled with the addition. While driving it, there have been a few times when I'm motoring along in overdrive and then I have to stop for traffic, etc. and I forgot to flip the overdrive with off. Then, when I get moving again as soon as I shift to an overdrive enabled gear, the overdrive kicks in. My car had an "EGR" dashlight that was no longer operable, so I took it out and modified it to read O/D to remind me that the overdrive switch is on. I just ran a wire from the overdrive solenoid to the light, so basically it is a parallel circuit to the solenoid. Here's a photo of it when illuminated. I like this reminder so I thought I would share the idea with 6-packers. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6168.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	542885
    1976 Pimento/Light Tan
    VTO alloy "Minilites"
    Dolly Parton's removed
    GoodParts Nissan Diff and CV axles
    Carbs by Poolboy
    Suffolk seats

That is excellent. If I may ask, how did you disassemble the light housing? Mine seem to be all molded as one piece and not able to be disassembled. Also, how did you make the O/D legend for it?

Comment

• Ocularsharp
      Ocularsharp commented
      Editing a comment
      With a 3/8" x 6" wooden dowel, you can push the front lens and legend out from the back. Then make a new legend, cut to size and reassemble. It's tricky, but do-able. A good copy/repro shop can make a black on clear, reverse copy of anything you print from your computer. Hope this helps.

• Cincinnati
      Cincinnati commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I might give that a try.

I had these made a few years ago. I don’t remember the vendor Maybe someone here will know who they are. They had the fixtures and lenses

Comment

I think this was the company

http://www.k4direct.com/indicator-da...ights.html?p=5

Comment

I did that as well a few years ago. They come apart if you pry carefully with a sharp knife.

I used clear transparency film for overhead slides with the lettering in white (clear) and background in black with the closest matching font I could find. The red comes from the filter in the light

Click image for larger version  Name:	DCP_3462.JPG Views:	0 Size:	505.7 KB ID:	542920

72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
        67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

You may want to investigate adding an Overdrive Logic Switch. Can't remember where I got mine but it turns off the O/D when you shift gear, preventing you from leaving it On. Next time you want to use the O/D you need to move the lever to Off and then back to On. Especially important if you are going into reverse.

A quick google and i found this:
          http://nebula.wsimg.com/c5d98e1b7320...&alloworigin=1

Cheers

Comment

• Ocularsharp
            Ocularsharp commented
            Editing a comment
            With or without logic board, the O/D should be wired never to engage in reverse or first gear.

RevingtonTR carries them, a bit pricey though.

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/...rive-all-types
          Ralph
          TR250 "Eileen"
          MGB "Merck"
          VW GTI

Comment

Originally posted by Syl6 View Post
            You may want to investigate adding an Overdrive Logic Switch. Can't remember where I got mine but it turns off the O/D when you shift gear, preventing you from leaving it On. Next time you want to use the O/D you need to move the lever to Off and then back to On. Especially important if you are going into reverse.

A quick google and i found this:
            http://nebula.wsimg.com/c5d98e1b7320...&alloworigin=1

Cheers
            Pretty easy to make on a bread board, probably less that $10 in parts. I have a lit button on the gear shift that locks in for on, out for off and I can feel it with my thumb.
            72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
            67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Originally posted by Ocularsharp View Post
              This past winter I bought a rebuilt overdrive transmission for my car. I've installed it and am thrilled with the addition. While driving it, there have been a few times when I'm motoring along in overdrive and then I have to stop for traffic, etc. and I forgot to flip the overdrive with off. Then, when I get moving again as soon as I shift to an overdrive enabled gear, the overdrive kicks in. My car had an "EGR" dashlight that was no longer operable, so I took it out and modified it to read O/D to remind me that the overdrive switch is on. I just ran a wire from the overdrive solenoid to the light, so basically it is a parallel circuit to the solenoid. Here's a photo of it when illuminated. I like this reminder so I thought I would share the idea with 6-packers. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6168.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	542885
              Rather than drill holes in the dash (the ‘72 doesn’t have much by way of spare dash indicators), I added a small red LED to the front of the dash support. It’s powered by the O/D relay, so it lights up when power is supplied to the solenoid. However, since the O/D switch is a button on the shift knob, my thumb tells me when the O/D is engaged
              Dave C
              '72 Sapphire #CC82360UO
              Chapel Hill NC

Comment

Dashboard light for Overdrive

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,577   Posts: 490,758   Members: 29,611   Active Members: 7,486
              Welcome to our newest member, Sharonexefe.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X