No announcement yet.

74 TR6 loses power, and sputters puzzled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you found the problem - diaphragms, like you said way back.
    72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
    67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Yeah, that's the main thing causing the problem, but someone had been in them previously, PLUS as usual, someone must have messed around with a bunch of the adjustments in a futile attempt to compensate for the torn diaphragm and/or possibly engine problems.
      At least the carbs will be straightened out now and I should be thru and ready to ship back Monday..if nothing interferes with my weekend plans.
      Driving a 1973 TR6
      Doing ZS carb repairs
      email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

There you have it.

The carb master!
        '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
        Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
        Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
        Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
        Redlines always.
        My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

• poolboy
          poolboy commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, Harris.
          I guess I haven't forgotten "Tarheel's" experience with torn diaphragms. He never could get any relief on the Forum so he took it to a real mechanic...in a matter of minutes problem solved,,,torn diaphragms...left a few of us including myself kind of 'red faced'....For a while after that "check the diaphragms" was the rally cry...I think it probably still should be.

• tr6harris
          tr6harris commented
          Editing a comment
          Knock wood - It is probably the one condition I have never experienced on a TR6.
          Have to file that one away in the symptoms catalog...
          You're a wealth of experience sir!

That one’s pretty bad! Substandard quality or just age combined with ethanol?

Comment

I don't think ethanol had anything to do with it..That's all I use 10%....
          I do know from experience that a backfire thru the carbs can blow out a diaphragm prematurely...but the Drivers Handbook section in the Bentley regarding carbs says "....regular service at 6000 miles ....involves the use of colored gaskets which give the indication that the 24,000 mile service has been carried out."
          That pretty much agrees with my carbs...I drive between 4 and 5000 miles a year and at 7 years there's a lot that needs refreshing.
          Driving a 1973 TR6
          Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

There’s really no reason for gas or ethanol to get up there other than maybe fumes when the bowl are percolating but then the needles are usually down. Now squirt a little carb or brake cleaner in the throat and let it splash up there and it will dissolve the rubber. I agree with Ken, holes that big on still flexible diaphragms are usually the result of a big backfire

Comment

Well I got the carbs back, and installed. Still will not start. Just spins. Thanks to poolboy for the rebuild. Anyway here's what's been done. New plugs, checked and replaced Spark plug wires, timing set, valve adjustment. New fuel pump, Only thing left is electrical, I have a Petronix ignition, I think I'll put the points back in to check that Coil is putting out 1.6 Ohms. Any ideas?

Comment

Have you pulled and checked a plug for spark?

Comment

RESOLVED! Went to re install my points, pulled the rotor cap, and the magnet on the Petronix, and a small piece of metal fell out. It was the clip from a rotor button that i destroyed by not having it seated properly. Put the cap back on and it started right up. Smoking quite a bit, but I'm sure that will blow out upon running it some. So it appears to have been the fuel pump (which has a small leak from the out side). Took it around the block, and the throttle response is awesome, much better than before. Thanks to Poolboy for doing a great job on my carbs, and all the members that chimed in. I guess I will order a rebuild kit for my original fuel pump, and re install it in the car. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be an O ring gasket on the end of the fuel outlet line? Just a thought.

Comment

I'm glad to hear of your progress,TR and that the carbs arrived.
                    There's no O-rings, originally that is. The seal was accomplished with a ferule around the fuel line and a compression nut to create a in the pump...but sometimes it needs a little help if there's a leak.
                    Here's some recent talk:
                    https://forums.6-pack.org/the-6-pack...uel-pump-leaks
                    Driving a 1973 TR6
                    Doing ZS carb repairs

Comment

I saw a note in the last couple of days that the BPNW fuel pumps are back in stock, in case you can get that quicker/cheaper than the rebuild kit, or want to have a spare.
                      Bill Connell
                      1969 TR6 CC28790
                      TR6 project log
                      St. Paul MN

Comment

74 TR6 loses power, and sputters puzzled

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,679   Posts: 491,630   Members: 40,671   Active Members: 6,198
                      Welcome to our newest member, Kennethjop.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X