Electric fan on with run position. Thermo control not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fan on with run position. Thermo control not working

At cold start, fan would not come on, but would when it got to 195 or whatever I had it set to. I assume this control has failed, or someone adjusted the knob when I wasnt looking.

my probe sticks thru the radiator fins.

thanks
    LOG

Guv, from what you wrote it sounds like it’s working. It should only come on after hitting the high temp you have set, not on a “cold start”.
    72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
    67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Lou - I forgot to follow up on this. It only happened that day, and went away. But, I did find something interesting. My controller is on the side of the radiator. And its a simple rheostat - open design. I've spray washed my engine bay many times, but this last time, while fiddling with my failing fuel pump and fuse box, I hear this sizzling sound. ? I get closer to that rheostat, and with my engine in run position, that thermo controller is on, waiting for temp to get up, but now its sizzling, I think, because its wet. So, I turn the car off. Sizzling stops. I might be damaging my controller when I spray my engine bay.

thanks for the note, and the feedback on the other threads. hope to see you soon.

LOG
      #guvnal

Comment

Yeah, if its open don't get it wet - pots don't like that. Put plastic around it and keep it dry if you wash the engine bay. Depending on where it located, it might be a bad idea to put a shield over it to deflect water in case you get caught driving through a big storm.
        72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
        67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

After your reply, and thinking on this, that shorting - sizzling noise, probably happened at the car wash and never heard it. I only heard it this time cause I was at home, using my garden hose. I wonder if there is a version of this controller that is marine grade - so to speak. Or, who says that controller needs to be by the radiator - the wiring can be anywhere, maybe up by the fuse box. Or in the glovebox...rambling now.

sorry
          G

Comment

Electric fan on with run position. Thermo control not working

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,458   Posts: 489,752   Members: 14,978   Active Members: 579
          Welcome to our newest member, icomoljekogim.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X