Fuel Sending Unit in Boyd Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Sending Unit in Boyd Tank

In preparation for installing my new Boyd fuel tank, I pulled my old tank out the other day. The inside wasn't as rusty as expected, but definitely in need of attention. I then pulled the sending unit. The float was about 1/4 full of fuel. Guess that explains why my gauge read low. Funny thing, I can't find a hole in the float. How did that gas get in there?

Click image for larger version

Name:	E3D3459C-8792-4F30-A2BB-449DF23D5746.jpeg
Views:	338
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	533815
    I'll be purchasing a new unit, and was wondering if the owners of the Boyd tank have made any modifications to the sending unit to make it read more accurately. From what I've read in the archives, the arc of the arm does not reach the bottom of the tank. So when the gauge reads Empty, there's still about four gallons left. Boyd owners, please pipe up!
    Pete, Collierville TN
    1976 CF54385 U
    A rolling resto in progress...

Pete --- I bent the arm down so the float would sit higher to keep it closer to the "full" mark on the gauge. With a two gallon can of gas in the trunk, I ran the car to where the gauge showed Empty. I shined a flashlight down the filler and saw SOME fuel left but couldn't accurately measure the amount. A mile or two later I spotted a gas station and filled it right up to the tank neck. It took 12.5 gallons. I'm guessing it still had 2.5 gal. left before filling. I haven't done any more to try to make the gauge more accurate, but there is some sort of package available that can be wired behind the gauge to dial it in. Should've saved the site for this, but alas... Dick

Comment

Originally posted by dicta View Post
      Pete --- I bent the arm down so the float would sit higher to keep it closer to the "full" mark on the gauge. With a two gallon can of gas in the trunk, I ran the car to where the gauge showed Empty. I shined a flashlight down the filler and saw SOME fuel left but couldn't accurately measure the amount. A mile or two later I spotted a gas station and filled it right up to the tank neck. It took 12.5 gallons. I'm guessing it still had 2.5 gal. left before filling. I haven't done any more to try to make the gauge more accurate, but there is some sort of package available that can be wired behind the gauge to dial it in. Should've saved the site for this, but alas... Dick
      Dick, this is the unit I think you are talking about https://technoversions.com/MeterMatchHome.html
      Pete, Collierville TN
      1976 CF54385 U

Comment

Pete - I didn't modify the sender unit for my Boyd tank, though I did decide to install a brand new unit.

Similar to Dick, through trial and error, I know I can get a bit over 300 miles on a full tank. I usually fill up at 260 or so, which time I can usually get in 13 gallons, meaning there is about 2 gallons still in the tank.

The gauge reads empty at around the same point - 260 miles. So the point is, I go with odometer distance rather than the gauge as the determinant on when to refuel.

(I know that translates to only around 20mpg - the car is capable of much better in relaxed cruising. So...quite literally...YMMV)
        Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 CC66559U
        10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

My original float was like that. Thanks to BobbyD’s site there is a metal float from an early-ish Mustang that works with our senders. The loop that hold the float might need squeezing slightly for a better grip or maybe some stainless lockwire could be added for security

Comment

When I pulled my tank for inspection, the plastic float also had some fuel in it - maybe it had some "micro-pinholes" in it? I replaced it with the metal Mustang one Charlie(74) mentioned. You have to use care when attaching to the sender mounting rod, as the float's metal is very thin and will easily dent/distort! I think i had to buy another one and did better the 2nd time

Comment

Thanks, Pete. I Bookmarked it this time! Are you going to use this? Dick

Comment

Pete just a word of caution based on my Boyd tank install - be sure to do all you can to clean the new tank of aluminum swarf/cuttings/drilling bits. Even after I thought I had gone through it pretty well, I got a fuel filter full and some in the lines up to the fuel pump. I spent a lot of time trying to come up with an affordable sending unit arrangement that would better register the fuel onboard but was not successful and like the others just went with the OE sender and have about 4 gals left once gauge reads E.
                72 CC84337 UO

Comment

So far as the original tank gauge accuracy, I don't think it was all that truthful when below 1/4 tank mark, due to the way the tank has the bottom corners cut off. I could go about 125 miles from Full to the Half mark, but more like 75 from Half to the Empty mark. I don't think the tank was really empty when the needle hit this mark, but.... Dick

Comment

What's beneficial about a Boyd tank? Is it a race car?

Comment

The later TR6 gas tank is shown at 11.4 U.S. Gallon capacity. On occasion, i for one wanted to drive not only farther, but sometimes thru remote country where gas stations could be separated by Long distance and time. Adding approx. 75 miles to distances traveled is what I was after. No, I don't get the 30 mpg that some others claim. I'm happy with 25. Dick

Comment

Originally posted by dicta View Post
                        Thanks, Pete. I Bookmarked it this time! Are you going to use this? Dick
                        No, Dick. I'm not going to use it. Just another gadget to wire up and mount somewhere. I'm just going with the stock sender with brass float and be done with it.
                        Pete, Collierville TN
                        1976 CF54385 U

Comment

Originally posted by Festus View Post
                          Pete just a word of caution based on my Boyd tank install - be sure to do all you can to clean the new tank of aluminum swarf/cuttings/drilling bits. Even after I thought I had gone through it pretty well, I got a fuel filter full and some in the lines up to the fuel pump. I spent a lot of time trying to come up with an affordable sending unit arrangement that would better register the fuel onboard but was not successful and like the others just went with the OE sender and have about 4 gals left once gauge reads E.
                          Thanks for the caution, Festus. It's frustrating to know you had to deal with that. Anyone else have that problem? What's the best way to clean it out?
                          Pete, Collierville TN
                          1976 CF54385 U

Comment

Originally posted by blue_bruiser View Post
                            What's beneficial about a Boyd tank? Is it a race car?
                            The first benefit for me is to have a tank that will not corrode. Then there's the added benefit of extended range. The price was compatible with standard sized aluminum tanks, so why not? The downside is that it prevents having a normal sized spare tire in the well. With my current setup (KN Knock-Off Alloy Wheels), I don't have a spare anyway. Maybe someone has come up with a workaround for that which they can share with us.
                            Pete, Collierville TN
                            1976 CF54385 U

Comment

I don't usually run with a spare tire, but did purchase one that would fit under the Boy's tank. I haven't been able to show photos lately on this forum. Looks like a different format. Again. If I can't include photos, I can tell you that the skinny tire was a Federal brand. 165/80R15 87T. Dick

Comment

Fuel Sending Unit in Boyd Tank

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,986   Posts: 484,636   Members: 10,244   Active Members: 1,068
                              Welcome to our newest member, Aliceanozy.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X