Courtesy light switch, driver side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courtesy light switch, driver side

Well, the thing has failed again. I had managed to repair the 50 year old switch at our restoration, alas, it has failed again. These switches are listed NLS everywhere I’ve looked. I’m hoping one of you has sorted out a replacement. A quick glance at NAPA shows about ten thousand door switches. It’s discouraging. This is after all a pretty simple single throw double pole push button switch. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    ‘70 TR-6

I couldn't fix mine during the restoration, but I did manage to find a single-pole NC passenger door switch. I rigged up a miniature relay on a small piece of circuit board to simulate the dual NC drivers switch. I covered it with heat shrink and just left it hanging behind the carpet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05197.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	533483

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05199.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	533484

R3
    Jim Herter ͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏ Copperas Cove, TX
    Original Owner ֍ 1970 TR6 ֎ CC 50990 LO
    VDU 506H

Comment

I took mine apart and fixed it, so far so good. But I have seen people use two of the single pole next to each other as those are still available.
      72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

Cheers, both great suggestions. Parts on order.
        Thanks again.

‘70 TR-6

Comment

Originally posted by Neddie Seagoon View Post
          Well, the thing has failed again. I had managed to repair the 50 year old switch at our restoration, alas, it has failed again. These switches are listed NLS everywhere I’ve looked. I’m hoping one of you has sorted out a replacement. A quick glance at NAPA shows about ten thousand door switches. It’s discouraging. This is after all a pretty simple single throw double pole push button switch. Any suggestions?
          Thanks.
          I thought that Rimmer Bros had them but I may be remembering wrong

Comment

• Neddie Seagoon
            Neddie Seagoon commented
            Editing a comment
            I looked at Rimmers. They show a photo of the correct switch, but if you go to the part call out on their diagram it shows different ones and if you specifically ask for a switch for the CC series cars it says NLS.
            Thanks for the suggestion.

I was a little bored the other day and drew up a diagram for the relay I installed. The operation of the passenger's switch is slightly different as it now turns on the key illumination lamp the same as the driver's switch. This doesn't bother me at all, actually, I think I like it better. I suppose if I had the key warning buzzer connected, I wouldn't like it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Door Switch Mod.png Views:	0 Size:	106.5 KB ID:	533590
          Last edited by RatRidgeRoadster; 07-02-2020, 11:08 PM.
          R3
          VDU 506H

Comment

Thanks Jim. Not quite how I was going to do it but gives me something to think about. The relay I have is double pole so I was going to connect the coil to the door switch and use the relay to make the 2 light connections.
            ‘70 TR-6

Comment

That should work too. Pretty sure all I had on hand was the single-pole, or I might have done that as well. One thing I like about it and you could maybe do the same with the double pole, is that there is no alteration to the vehicle wiring.
              R3
              VDU 506H

Comment

Success! The double pole relay did the trick and it’s all reversible should the proper switches ever become available again, or if I should ever find the time to re-repair the original. I used the door switch for a Spitfire, Moss 115-931, as it looks much more robust than the exposed spring arrangement on the TR-6 replacement. The hole spacing is correct so it fits nicely except the push arm is about 1/4” too short so I glued a felt chair leg pad onto the door to make the connection. We’ll see how long that lasts, I can always glue in something more robust later. But for now, it’s happy motoring with lights and all!
                Thanks for all the help and y’all have a wonderful fourth.
                ‘70 TR-6

Comment

Courtesy light switch, driver side

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,943   Posts: 484,091   Members: 9,357   Active Members: 623
                Welcome to our newest member, KsSasRrbugs.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X