Headlight "Flash" feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight "Flash" feature

O.K. Am I allowed to ask a really dumb question?
    Is my '76 TR6 supposed to have a temporary high beam or "Flash to pass" feature? My '69 TR6 (years ago) had a foot switch for toggling between high and low beams. My '76 has a steering-column mounted high/low switch, and I can pull it forward slightly but nothing happens. With the dashboard headlight switch on, the lever works to switch back and forth from high to low beams. Am I supposed to be able to flash my headlights with this switch?
    Thanks for letting me ask a very basic question!
    1976 Pimento/black
    VTO alloy "Minilites"
    Dolly Parton's removed
    GoodParts Nissan Diff and CV axles
    Carbs by Poolboy

Try pulling it rearward. If that does nothing then it probably is not a feature.

My TR4 flash to pass worked by pulling the headlight stalk rearwards.
    I never drove the '72 TR6 at night, so don't know about that one.

Also, if you have an owner's manual features should be listed there-in.
    Last edited by SapphireBlue72; 06-18-2020, 03:35 PM.
    Walt
    CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
    poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

When I replaced the wiring harness in my TR250, the new harness did not have the wire for the flash to pass feature. I took the wire out of the old harness and added it to the new harness. It now works for flash to pass.
      Bob

Comment

My 74 has flash to pass on the steering column. Interesting thing is that power for the flash comes from a different circuit than hi beams. Wonder what the rationale for that was.

Ed
        Last edited by ed_h; 06-19-2020, 10:41 AM.
        For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

simultaneously
          Originally posted by ed_h View Post
          Interesting thing is that power for the flash comes from a different circuit than hi beams. Wonder what the rationale for that was.Ed
          It could be redundancy in case a brown wire came loose or a partial column switch failure. The pass to pass contacts are independent of the main switch function of both the early and late column switch.

On all models other than the TR250, when using the flash to pass it is possible to illuminate both the low and high beams simultaneously and I suppose that could overload the wiring. On the TR250, whichever beam is selected with the dimmer switch is what you get with the pass to flash.

R3
          Jim Herter ͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏ Copperas Cove, TX
          Original Owner ֍ 1970 TR6 ֎ CC 50990 LO
          VDU 506H

Comment

I had the flash capability on my 74 TR6 until i replaced it with a moss switch

Comment

Thanks for everyone's response. The instruction manual that came with the car does not mention it. However, the wiring diagram in my Dan Master's book clearly show the wiring for it---and my harness is original. When I pull the "high/low" switch rearward (toward the driver, I can feel a definite give. So, I think I have a wiring problem , probably at the steering column near the ignition switch. I will investigate next time I'm behind the dash. Thanks again!
              1976 Pimento/black
              VTO alloy "Minilites"
              Dolly Parton's removed
              GoodParts Nissan Diff and CV axles
              Carbs by Poolboy

Comment

Ocularsharp --- The flash to pass feature on my '73 quit working on my '73 about 10 years ago. With the cover removed, I found that a quick blast of WD-40 into the switch mechanism and a few wiggles and it started working again. I mention this as it's easy to do when nothing's broken or missing. Dick

Comment

• Ocularsharp
                  Ocularsharp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Will try that! Thank you.

You learn something every day!!

I've owned my 75 (which is actually more like a 74), since 1989 and I did not know that it had such a feature.

I gingerly gave it a try the other day and what do you know, it does have the "flash to pass" feature.

I'm in awe.

Comment

Headlight "Flash" feature

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,976   Posts: 484,522   Members: 10,097   Active Members: 1,007
                Welcome to our newest member, Joannecuche.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X