Horn blows continuously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn blows continuously

I had to pull over and pull the fuse on the purple circuit. Before I pulled the fuse the horn chirped on and off. And it seemed like it happened more when I turned to the left than the right. Other than in the steering wheel, where else and how else could it be grounding out?
    1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Have you done any work involving the steering column, steering wheel, hub or cowl recently, Aaron ?
    Driving a 1973 TR6
    Doing ZS carb repairs
    email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Worn steering shaft bushings letting the shaft ground to the housing and complete the circuit. Can you feel side to side play if you tug on the steering wheel to the sides? If so, Art Lipp used to sell some Delrin ones that just inserted from the top and bottom making it a not-so-bad job to fix. Here’s a thread on them with Art’s email for contact http://www.6-pack.org/vb5/the-6-pack...ering-bushings

Edit: Looking through the post Aaron, I see you were going to do this a year ago.....might be time ????
      lfmTR4
      TRials Legend
      Last edited by lfmTR4; 06-28-2019, 05:34 PM.
      72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
      67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

• skootch13
        skootch13
        Dirt Under My Fingernails
        skootch13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, i got them for the reason you stated. I read the posts and instructions then shrugged and said I can live with it. It's just a job I don't want to do.
        skootch13
        Last edited by skootch13; 06-29-2019, 08:37 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	524001
      Originally posted by skootch13 View Post
      I had to pull over and pull the fuse on the purple circuit. Before I pulled the fuse the horn chirped on and off. And it seemed like it happened more when I turned to the left than the right. Other than in the steering wheel, where else and how else could it be grounding out?
      skootch --- Others have written about a more long lasting fix as to your horn blowing issue. I will submit a temporary, tho quick measure that worked for me. Attached is a photo showing the upper steering shaft with its lock nut and setscrew. Simply loosen the locknut and setscrew and move the steering wheel closer to the driver's seat. It could move as much as 1/6 inch or more. Then retighten the setscrew and locknut. The "clearance" now given to the contacts under the horn push pad may now be enough so the horn still works without blowing without cause. Do a test drive or move the steering wheel as before to test.
      (Disregard the extra strap installed for another purpose)

Dick

Skootch

So far as the "extra strap" goes, I'm sure there is another way to return the steering shaft to where it won't wiggle. Perhaps Art L. bushing will do the job, but it wasn't available when I did this strengthening to the column about 20 years ago. Even tho I tried to dress it up, the strap shown is certainly a Rube fix, but it works. Kind of hard to describe, but it's a length of steel flat stock, 1/8 inch thick x 10 inch long x one inch wide, bent down and is secured by the battery strap rod.
      The bottom end of the bracket is nothing more than a pipe clamp, with a strip of leather between the upper steering column and the strap itself. The little bit of 'give' in the leather offers some tension adjustment and holds a bit of lubricant. Not that much wear here, so far as turning the steering wheel, so it has remained as is for many years. The upper steering column is free to turn with no wiggling.
      It's one of the many workarounds that can be done when other methods are not readily available with high mileage cars such as mine.

Dick
      dicta
      Oil In My Blood
      Last edited by dicta; 10-14-2019, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• MOReese
        MOReese
        Mechanic
        MOReese commented
        Editing a comment
        Dick, I am interested in your comment about "disregarding the extra strap installed for another purpose". I am curious about what the issue was that you corrected with that strap. My 71 seems to have a bit of play in the steering shaft under the hood that I would like to stiffen up a bit. Was this your problem and fix also? If so besides the metal strap and necessary bolts&nuts, what is the bracket you used underneath the metal strap to run and secure the steering shaft?

• skootch13
        skootch13
        skootch13 commented
        Editing a comment
        MOReese, have a look at this thread for info on fixing play in the shaft. http://www.6-pack.org/vb5/the-6-pack...ering-bushings

• MOReese
        MOReese
        Mechanic
        MOReese commented
        Editing a comment
        skootch13....I have already installed the Art Lipp bushings. The play on the steering shaft is under the hood. You can take hold of the steering rod (shaft) by the master cylinder and literally move it up and down.

I had the same thing happen to me.

I found the wire from the horn ring had worn and shorted where the steering shaft goes thru the dash.

Its a tight fit but you can get a new wire thru the opening.
      76 TR6 Carmine Red CF55445UO

Comment

Originally posted by poolboy View Post
        Have you done any work involving the steering column, steering wheel, hub or cowl recently, Aaron ?
        I installed OD a year ago.........
        1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

• Duff
          Duff commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Skootch13 for this thread. This is perfect timing as i have the same issue. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

It's a timely thread for me too, the horn started going off while driving with my wife a week or so ago. Happily, she found it more hilarious than embarrassing. I pulled the brush contact out at a stop light, but good to have some more concrete troubleshooting steps.
        Bill Connell
        1969 TR6 CC28790
        TR6 project log
        St. Paul MN

Comment

Horn blows continuously

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,859   Posts: 493,133   Members: 56,868   Active Members: 174
        Rovercooper
        Welcome to our newest member, Rovercooper.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X