Securing Door Pull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing Door Pull?

The "Door Pull" at the top of my passenger door is pulling away from the top of the door. It appears to have been secured originally with adhesive directly to the top of the door. Any recommendations on what type of adhesive I should use to re-secure it to the door?

I believe they were just held on with contact cement....
    1975 Mimosa with a few upgrades/mods:
    Patton TBI
    HVDA Toyota 5 speed
    Goodparts Nissan Diff
    Goodparts CVJs
    AAW Wire Harness
    Miata Seats
    Boyd Welding Custom 15 gallon aluminum gas tank

Comment

I believe they were just held on with contact cement....
      +1.. And that would suggest, to me, the 3M type of adhesive typically used to install tops might work well. I'd test any adhesive on a very small place initially, to be sure any solvents in the formulation do not dissolve or soften the door pull, prior to full-scale use.

Just my 2 cents and NFI

Comment

Thanks Bobby - I was concerned with using contact cement because getting it aligned on the first try may prove challenging. The small flange at the top needs to be tucked down into the window track and coordinating that task with getting the rest aligned while keeping the contact cement from touching until ready is going to keep me up at night.

Comment

The small flange at the top needs to be tucked down into the window track.

The things we do for our TR's- I sat there & held it in place until the glue set up, about an hour.
          Walt
          CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
          poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

I used Weldwood contact cement on both of mine, CR. And yes, you get one shot at it. Having the same fears you have, I took a couple precautions. I didn?t try to glue everything at once. First I glued the foam to the door with the top and bottom skirts taped up and out of the way. I masked the door and foam so I wouldn?t get glue anywhere but where I wanted it. This lets you slop on the glue quickly also. When the tape is removed, you get a good reference to align the piece. Once dried, I then glued the skirts separately. I also stuck the parts together a little quicker than the prescribed wait time. This allows you to make minor adjustments for a minute. You do need to hold everything together longer, however.

Comment

After getting off all the old glue and painting the door, I took the easy route and never put those on. I went this route instead

72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

After getting off all the old glue and painting the door, I took the easy route and never put those on. I went this route instead

And I've got about 4-5 pairs of those left for sale....PM, if anyone needs a set.

Comment

Securing Door Pull?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,850   Posts: 483,234   Members: 8,830   Active Members: 553
                Welcome to our newest member, Douglasmob.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
                X