Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard top rear glass

No I didn't break the rear glass.

But I phoned TRF because the new rubber they sent me is way too big for the glass, to the point I can slide my hand through the glass. Seems they are aware of the problem but it's the only rubber they can source (I'm told it's the same one as Moss, BPNW, etc).

TRF's solution is to cut the rubber to make it fit. NOT FRICKIN' IMPRESSED Especially since if they would have told me, I would have made an effort to save the original rubber as it wasn't in too bad a shape.

So if you're doing your hard top keep your rubber for the rear window.

If anyone has recently done their hardtop and sourced the rubber that actually fits, please let me know.

Also, does anyone have a pic of how the rubber is glued on the bottom (626155 in the pic)?

Gee, I was just fixing to order all the glass rubber for my newly acquired hard top today inch: ! I haven't looked to see how hard the glass is to remove without cutting the rubber~
    Are their side glass rubbers the same way?
    dne'

Comment

WOW. I'm lucky mine could be reused. I did replaced one side window rubber and it fit perfectly.

Greg

Comment

I removed all three of mine (very carefully) without cutting any of the rubber. I too ordered new rubber from TRF for all my windows over a year ago but have not tried reinstalling any of them yet. Be very careful with that rear glass it is impossible to find a replacement due to the slight curve. Side glass can be made but would not have the date codes.

Comment

I would highly recommend calling Martin MacGregor at 905-627-4006. He's a delight to chat with and very knowledgeable to boot. He's a trim/hardware engineer who worked for British Leyland back in the day. I got all the side window gaskets, seals, etc and couldn't have been happier with the parts and the help I got from Martin. The only downside in my order was that he's in Canada and it sat in customs in Chicago for about 3 weeks. I'm sure he could help you with these gaskets. NFI. Just a very happy customer who loves to recommend great small businesses.

Comment

No I didn't break the rear glass.

But I phoned TRF because the new rubber they sent me is way too big for the glass, to the point I can slide my hand through the glass. Seems they are aware of the problem but it's the only rubber they can source (I'm told it's the same one as Moss, BPNW, etc).

TRF's solution is to cut the rubber to make it fit. NOT FRICKIN' IMPRESSED Especially since if they would have told me, I would havemade an effort to save the original rubber as it wasn't in too bad a shape.

So if you're doing your hard top keep your rubber for the rear window.

If anyone has recently done their hardtop and sourced the rubber that actually fits, please let me know.

TRtop3rearglass.JPG

TRtop6rearglass.JPG

Also, does anyone have a pic of how the rubber is glued on the bottom (626155 in the pic)?

ScreenShot2016-07-01at6.25.01AM.png

Ken, I see what you mean. I test fitted my rear glass with the rubber supplied by TRF with no difficulty.

Comment

Well, just ordered about 600 bucks worth of hard top :blink: parts from TRF while the sale was still on. I did order their back window rubber seal as well and see what happens, but I should be able to report how it fits soon. It'll be a few weeks before I'm at that point of working on it; just wanted to have the parts on hand.
              dne'

Comment

jayplum - how long ago did you buy your rubber? When I phoned TRF, their answer was "You're not the only one to complain but that's the only rubber we can get - you just have to cut it!"

pitman44 - Martin is on my "to call" list for Monday. Have already sent him an email but have been told it's best to call him. And since I'm in Canada, it actually works in my favour for once, lol.

On the side rubber, they fit perfectly but the guy I bought the top from had all new rubber except the rear glass rubber and I have no idea when he ordered it all.

Comment

While we're on the hardtop subject, anyone happen to have any photos of the rubber seal on the underside of the hardtop? I'm trying to figure out how Item 29 "sealing rubber" for the side flange gets glued in.

Comment

IIRC, the side rubber #29 (626155) attaches along the outer vertical edge of the channel.

In the same vertical plane as the side window.
                    '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
                    Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
                    Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
                    Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
                    Redlines always.
                    My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

jayplum - how long ago did you buy your rubber? When I phoned TRF, their answer was "You're not the only one to complain but that's the only rubber we can get - you just have to cut it!"

pitman44 - Martin is on my "to call" list for Monday. Have already sent him an email but have been told it's best to call him. And since I'm in Canada, it actually works in my favour for once, lol.

On the side rubber, they fit perfectly but the guy I bought the top from had all new rubber except the rear glass rubber and I have no idea when he ordered it all.
                      Bought the rubber from TRF, invoice date 5/24/16, part#815534, bin #2Z16

Comment

Thanks - have to phone TRF again and find why yours fit and mine doesn't.

For those putting the rivets back in - use a spacer. Similar to when I redid the snaps on my soft top frame, if you don't use a spacer, the rivet doesn't sit nice and tight. I just use one of the old rivet ends that had to be drilled out.

Then another frikin' pain in arse. As I was going to attach the chrome, I noticed they don't match (never noticed when I bought it obviously). So one must be the original and one must be new(er). The better half said to just install them and no one will ever notice - but I will! So, will have to send the pic off to find out which one the suppliers now stock.

Lastly, the side rubber. Does it go in the area marked in RED?

And which way? Tapered end to the body of the car? or the square end?

Comment

Gee, can't wait :blink: keep the pics coming~ almost need a section just for hard tops!
                          dne'

Comment

I did my hardtop 2 springs ago and bought everything from TRF including the seals.

I do recall the rear seal being a bit larger than i would have liked but everying epwent together just fine. The rubber compressed and seems to fit great onces its in.
                            73 TR6
                            Libertyville, IL
                            My TR6

Comment

phil73 - there's gunna' hav' to be a whole lot of compressing going on as I can slide my whole hand through the opening. Not to mention, the corners are too round so that if you press in the glass to fit, they bulge out.

Comment

Hard top rear glass

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,946   Posts: 484,119   Members: 9,387   Active Members: 640
                              Welcome to our newest member, GlennaSmank.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X