1972 Seat Cover Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 Seat Cover Problem

Having a problem with my TRF seat covers and wondering if anyone else has experienced this and can offer a solution or enlighten me about I am doing wrong. These seats have the solid headrest which means the back support is made up of three pieces; left/right lumbar and center. I first started with the seat bottom and that went well. tonight I decided to tackle the lumbar supports and I'm having trouble getting the cover snug up around the headrest area. It then occurred to me that I still have the originals so I decided to compare the two. You can see from the pictures that they are not the same up around the headrest. The new covers are longer and don't share the same radius. This extra material is causing the cover to create folds or creases when I pull it tight to secure it to the frame. I don't think this is a matter of trimming the length because the radius isn't a match

I sent an email to TRF earlier this evening but thought I would reach out to the think tank to get some advice too.

Appreciate all thoughts. Plus car is off the road for this project :angry:

1972. J Type Overdrive
    Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
    RG Hubs. Poly Bushings
    RG Trailing Arm Brackets. Fidanza 9Ib Flywheel
    Addco Rear Sway Bar. Gear Reduction Starter

Soup--

Have you tried some heat? The fabric gets much more pliable when it's warm, and I think it might adjust to the radius you have. I found that a heat lamp works better than a hair dryer because it affects a broader area. I used a 500 watt halogen work light. Just monitor the fabric temp so it doesn't scorch or melt.

Even putting the cover out in the hot sun for a while may do it.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Hi Ed. I heard back from TRF early this morning......good response time. They forwarded my explanation and pictures of my problem to their supplier for comment. Hopefully they will have a quick turn around too.

I think your idea is a good possible approach depending on what I get for a response from the supplier. Although I don't have a heat lamp, I think I could get this material pretty warm from putting it inside a bag and leaving it in the sun for a while. Regardless, I can't help but think these patterns are too large in the headrest area.....but we will see :whistle:
      1972. J Type Overdrive
      Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
      RG Hubs. Poly Bushings

Comment

I've seen it before.
        I think the only real solution is to bring it some place that can run the stitching up a bit farther.

Al

Comment

I've seen it before.
          I think the only real solution is to bring it some place that can run the stitching up a bit farther.

Al
          Thank for the suggestion. I had someone at work make that one too. And while I really don't want to put more money into this project, I certainly will if I have too and after weighing all my options.
          1972. J Type Overdrive
          Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
          RG Hubs. Poly Bushings

Comment

Want to give an update on my upholstery project. Need to start by saying this was one of the more difficult and time consuming projects I've taken on so far and I want to thank my wife for her patience due to the many hours I put into this and I want to thank a retired upholstered who redirected me when things weren't going quite right, I want to thank TRF for their help and patience and finally I need to thank Ed for his write up with tips (paperbinder clips are a must for holding the covers temporarily) and his great idea to add heat which I did.

After I took many pictures and videos of the disassembly (this is a must for anyone considering this project with no previous experiences), I stripped and painted all the seat parts. After a couple days of dry time I tackled the seat bottoms.

The bottoms went very well and seemed to be pretty straight forward thanks to my pictures and videos. While they are not perfect they are acceptable.

Then came the bolsters. These were much more challenging and in part due to no previous upholstery experience but also, in my opinion, because the replacement pattern was larger than the original pattern that came off the car. The extra material up around the headrest area made it very difficult for me to assemble without causing unsightly creases in the material. TRF's supplier said this was normal and that nothing has changed with the way they have been making these. This is where the retired upholsterer came into the picture, he saw a solution that I was blind to and likely because I was following my disassembly videos/photos. By tensioning the upper section differently than factory, I was able to get rid
            1972. J Type Overdrive
            Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
            RG Hubs. Poly Bushings

Comment

All's well that ends well. Nice job!

Ed
              For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

This thread explains why my '72 seat covers have a gap at the shoulders. I wish the person who redid the covers had read this thread. Of course that would have been hard since it hadn't been written yet....

Nice write up and great outcome, Soup.
                1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1959 Red TR3 (Wife's)

Comment

Thanks Skootch. I hope my experience can help others and can share more photos if needed or even take some more when I take the seat backs off to do the final nip and tuck if anyone needs them.

This thread explains why my '72 seat covers have a gap at the shoulders. I wish the person who redid the covers had read this thread. Of course that would have been hard since it hadn't been written yet....

Nice write up and great outcome, Soup.
                  1972. J Type Overdrive
                  Fan Eliminator. PB Carbs
                  RG Hubs. Poly Bushings

Comment

1972 Seat Cover Problem

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,850   Posts: 483,234   Members: 8,829   Active Members: 553
                  Welcome to our newest member, leriswels.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
                  X