Dashtop Crash Pad - to glue or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashtop Crash Pad - to glue or not?

I'm fitting a new dashtop crash pad, as the original broke up when I tore down the car for paint. I'm wondering if the new one actually needs to be glued down, as was the original.

Anyone fit one without gluing it down, and how has it survived the years?
    Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 TR6
    10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Good Parts Ram-Air induction | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Willwood Calipers and Vented Rotors | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Originally posted by A Brit in Bama View Post
    I'm fitting a new dashtop crash pad, as the original broke up when I tore down the car for paint. I'm wondering if the new one actually needs to be glued down, as was the original.

Anyone fit one without gluing it down, and how has it survived the years?
    Keith --- My original top dash pad split every which way when the car was about 20 years old. It was glued solidly over the entire surface. It's my thought that this did not allow for any stretching that could take place during temperature changes. So I just tacked the new top in about three or five places and used the existing hardware to hold it in place. No signs of this cracking over the last 28 years. FWIW the new dash vinyl came from TRF.

Dick

Comment

My experience is this: I replaced my original dash pad in the mid 80's with a TRF part when my 6 was repainted. I did not use any adhesive at all, anywhere. The pad started to lift at the corners, by the windows, about 10 years ago. No cracking anywhere, but it looks kinda crappy.
      When I refit a new pad, I will glue it down.
      FWIF My 6 has been garaged (when not driving/touring) and she's been in California her whole life.

CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
      2nd owner, since 1975
      Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

My experience......I replaced the top dash pad in 2009 with one from TRF. I used a high quality 3M spray adhesive to glue it down to the metal dash. No signs of cracking or lifting 13 years later. I've kept the car in a garage since then, but I only put about 1500-2000 miles on it a year.
        1972 TR6, CC75294L
        W58 5 speed / Eaglegate conversion
        Goodparts rear hubs, trailing arm brackets and steering rack mounts, Prestige Autowood Hawaiian koa wood dash panel

Comment

I glued mine down (can't recall what I used) when I restored the car back in 1992.

No signs of cracking to this day but, as others point out, the car spends the vast majority of its time in a garage.
          73 TR6
          Dundee, IL
          My TR6

Comment

Thanks all. I've decided to glue.

I think most of the pad would be fine un-glued, as the front edge is pinned by the metal dash, and at the back by the windscreen and tonneau studs. But the two ends are not well-pinned, and so (like Bruce's) might lift.
            Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 TR6
            10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Good Parts Ram-Air induction | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts R200B Diff and CV axles | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Willwood Calipers and Vented Rotors | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

Keith
              how about a picture of your car and new color
              glue it
              Phil

Comment

Originally posted by philstr6 View Post
                keith
                how about a picture of your car and new color
                glue it
                phil
                yes! Please. :d
                CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
                2nd owner, since 1975
                Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

very good thread. thanks for posting it, Keith.

Comment

I have a very low mileage 73 and the original dash in it is perfect. I think the question is how much is it exposed to the sun.

Comment

I just tacked a couple of spots at the front where the windshield frame would sit to keep it in place.
                      1976 TR6 originally white now Porsche Voodoo Blue
                      Frame off resto started May 2015
                      Tshirts and TA boxes replaced
                      Diff braced and reinforced
                      Engine and head rebuilt
                      Header and Intake ported
                      SS exhaust
                      Floors repaired, new metal at rear bumper mounting points
                      New Rockers
                      AAW wiring - GM alternator
                      Complete suspension and brake rebuild, poly bushings

Comment

Dashtop Crash Pad - to glue or not?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,033   Posts: 494,459   Members: 56,913   Active Members: 138
                      Welcome to our newest member, julian30.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

• Sep 10
                        01:00 AM | The annual British Car Day in Cincinnati is September 11th.

Live music, food, and beer trucks

Two new classes added, British...
                      • No more items.
                      Working...
                      X