The Wreck. SchoolCar on Wednesday evening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Tuesday afternoon from Sunny Dallas...area

I hate that I am not on here everyday, like someone with respect. I pop in and out like a teenager ghosting someone.

Bruce, Lou - thanks for that heads up on the drain, and here's how ignorant I am. I would see those extended hoses to the rear of the wheel well, and I thought all late model cars were like that. So much so, that when I inspected my wheel wells, I found no opening, figuring someone had covered it, filled it in with undercoating. I rest easier knowing that water that got in that scuttle, went somewhere, even if between those 2 panels, causing some light surfact rust. But we can see how these cars can accumulate and rot out, simply by design - maybe not intent, but someone said that was a good idea.

Quick update on the school car.
    Windshield is off, panels and pieces are laid out, new hardware, and ready for the next phase of banging, bondo, or whatever. Ended up keeping the inner fenders, and front valance. Apparently my original valance was better than the spare I bought. I have all the scuttle vent parts now, except for the spring and the knob under the dash. I'll have that rigged up when we get to that.

We need to hurry up and paint this thing cause the boss saw a nice orange on a mid 70s 911 that caught her eye. I'll be happy when they finish all this body work and get some primer on it. They are pulling the doors, will be swapping the rear trunk lid, and shooting some of the engine bay. I'm preparing to finish this engine bay paint myself. Found out that the local sherwin williams will sell this compressor can rig that you put your paint in, and make your own rattle can. Don't quote me on this, but I'll update that when I can.

I'm moving my hood release to the passenger side. Shop broke my old handle on the cable, so for 15 dollars, I am moving this to remove that loop, and shorten the length. Or, maybe I'll just add one to the other side.....hmmmm.

With the windshield off, I am considering tinting the windshield. I didn't realize TRF sells 2 replacements - one like original, and one like original with tint. So, even they are realizing the need to knock down some UV on our dashes, right?

What else. Will be finishing this with no antenna - the panels aren't cut for one, so I'm hiding a simple antenna under the dash or something. I'm on the fence for LED headlights - I mean, why not now, but I have a good sylvania halogen, so 1 more is 40 dollars. I am moving to some or all LED elsewhere.

Pulling my radiator to tidy up my e fan mount - its mounted away from the fins, and causes issues with fitment around the upright braces. Probably pulling my tank to replace my sending unit gasket. while you are in there.

I reckon thats about enough for now. Seeing some progress - they have what they need, and I am at bat. I find reasons to pop in to check, like that radiator. I'm headed there after my oil change for the bosses rav 4. Typing this while in the toyota lounge.

cheers
    guvnal
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

I walked around the car yesterday - Friday, after a few furious days of body work. Progress, and getting closer to primer. I have parts in so many places in the house and garage- its scary.

sorry for the low volume - loud shop, and i was not using my radio voice yesterday.

cheers
      guvnal theschoolcar

​​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A32nPO1G2PE

Comment

No pics today, but that is on me. I was told they would be shooting some pieces this week, and they did. Right now, I'm working around my antenna work around, windshield recondition, and prep for when this rig comes back to the house for the final reassembly.

I went to the shop today, just to wander around. I caught the paint guy, on his cell. He stopped as I walked up and said - we have some of the stuff drying in the booth - and walked me into the booth. On racks were my 2 trunk lids and my hood, all 3 upside down, in my new color. I don't have pics cause I stood there like I got my first lionel train. I was blocks away headed home when I realized I didnt take any pics. I'll say this - to see my underside of my hood looking new is shocking. I've lived with that tired paint for so many years. We did talk how I will finish the engine bay and how I'll shoot those pieces - base and clear, so I'll get ready for that practice.

I'll do my best next week to get some updates and pics for everyone.

cheers

guvnal

Comment

Not much to update, so I'll wax for a quick bit.

Finishing this project isn't speedy, but as I look back, this pace is good for the soul. Gives me some room to roam, and think about changes, like the hidden radio antenna. Its given me some time to think about dusting off that dash project, which is P1 right now - resin standing by, assembly ready, waiting on the white "LIGHTS" lettering. Im spending this extra time assembling a gear shift know blank - roughly 2x2x5 in pieces of the dash board. This should turn nicely, and give a very cool grain. I just finished blogging about this experience. I have a garage full of tools, but no organization, so to think I'll start this knob turning biz in the corner of my garage - well, that will need more jesus time than what I have right now. But, as a new member of the North Texas Woodturners, i know have proper tools and expertise next to me as I turn a few test blanks, and then use all this on this blank I created. I think I am the only one who thinks having a matching knob and dash is cool.

I have some paint on the hood and trunk undersides. If nothing else, touching this cured paint is very nice. I couldn't help myself. I had to rub that underside of that trunk lid. dusty, which i knocked off with my finger. Cutting in will happen this week or next, and then, they should be shooting the whole car. I think once that is done, I'm loading up, and headed home. They have some front valance body work to do- but that might take a day with some hammers and bondo. I mean, its close now - closer than I thought it would be.

I owe everyone a video update - i'll try that this week - walking around the shop, pointing at the pieces I mentioned.

Moe to come.

G

Comment

Video, walk around of sorts, of the car, back out of the booth, waiting some front valance body work, and final paint. I spotted a few extra things I need to do - like get rid of that finisher piece over the top of the b post. And on the side, a drilled out snap, but the rivet is still stuck in the hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6L92LXBaaE

cheers

Comment

The Wreck. SchoolCar on Wednesday evening

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 40,068   Posts: 494,735   Members: 56,930   Active Members: 148
            Welcome to our newest member, claybrown.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

• Sep 10
              01:00 AM | The annual British Car Day in Cincinnati is September 11th.

Live music, food, and beer trucks

Two new classes added, British...
            • No more items.
            Working...
            X